Sonic Forces

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#31 KEM64

KEM64

Junior

• Members

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:29 PM

So it's come to this: All those Sonic recolors on all those fan-art sites that their creators claim as "Original character. Do not Steal!" are going to be in a Sonic game. Is this supposed to be the 3rd character they've been teasing?

Edited by KEM64, 16 May 2017 - 02:30 PM.

#32 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

BlueKnuckles.png

Please tell me the editor will allow edits of this magnitude, I've been waiting for Ohno the Echidna to appear in a sonic game.

#33 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:48 PM

Bubsy confirmed. It's an interesting idea, I guess, but I'm not really sure it'll bring a lot to the game. So can he use other abilities (like the grapple thing)? Can the Sonics also be customized with gear and moves? It just, to me, looks like the kind of extraneous thing that Sonic games don't need, but we'll see. I'm more excited for Sonic Mania anyway.

#34 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:34 PM

Me and my friends used to read Archie's Sonic comics and draw our own heroic animal characters for the Sonic world, while we were still innocent kids who didn't have any concept of the dark places fan art can go.

• The Satellite, Russ and Naru like this

#35 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:27 AM

In all seriousness though, this is definitely a potential goldmine for Sega, and I honestly hope this ends up being successful. As dumb and even terrifying as Sonic fan characters can be, I'm sure a number of you have some kind of repressed memory somewhere of even making just one, even if it was just some dumb little doodle you did 10-15 years ago.

Given my first username on this site, you can tell damn right I was certainly one of those kids back then.

#36 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:45 AM

I have never once made a Sonic OC, despite being the big fan I am. Honestly, when I was younger, I was the kind of kid who imagined myself actually joining in on adventures with my favorite heroes, rather than to make up some avatar to take my place. Hell, that was the basis of my Star Wars adventures that evolved into the RP I'm still writing today; that was when I started making OCs, but characters built around my main character (who is now less of but still essentially an author avatar of myself), none of which with any relation to canon characters. That's how that entire site is; portraying or sharing a direct relationship with a canon character is against the rules anyway.

Mini-autobiography aside, yeah, I've come to realize myself that this is honestly a smart marketing move. They know their fanbase and tons of them are gonna be incredibly excited at this opportunity. And also probably tear it to shreds when they can't make their OCs perfectly but that's another story. It'll probably do well on that alone; I can hear the younger Sonic fans begging their parents for an Xbox One/PS4/Nintendo Switch for Christmas already.

• Adem likes this

#37 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:07 AM

Oh man, this is next level "google your name and get a sonic OC".

DeviantARTists must be having a field day with this.

#38 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

I think they've seen  the level of success with things like Dragon Ball Xenoverse 1 and 2.  Those are incredibly successful, and one of their selling point sis the fact that you can make your own character.  So, in terms of marketing, it makes sense.

But lol, the floodgates of Hell have surely been opened.

• Cukeman likes this

#39 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:56 PM

Old news, but there was an E3 trailer which showed us antagonists. I'm fine with this cast.

Also, an OST preview was posted. If nothing else, the game is at least gonna have great and sonic-y music it seems!

Edited by Avataro, 21 June 2017 - 01:54 PM.

#40 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:30 PM

Supposedly I heard the plot involved Eggman somehow plucking classic Sonic out of existence, thus paving the way for him to conquer the world, and why Shadow is apparently a bad guy again somehow. But... then how is Modern Sonic still here? How are they both together teaming up if neither should exist? And why isn't Knuckles on the bad guys' side still? And why is Kirk Thornton still voicing Shadow? I have so many questions right now.

#41 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:17 PM

I guess that's why it's not a sequel to Generations, because Robotnik went back in time to stop classic Sonic before it all began?

#42 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:26 PM

Actually I was wondering if it was a followup to the ending where Eggman and Robotnik were stuck in the time void thing, then somehow managed to harness that ability to create this plot. Maybe Time Eater is back and won't suck this time... ?

#43 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:36 AM

I've been watching all these videos, and following this, but, for some reason, I can not get hyped. This game just looks very "meh" to me. Generations was cool, cause it pulled at our nostalgia strings, and was fun, but it wore thin after a while. This is just some shameless clone using the same engine. Oh, and look, filler characters and story, and mediocre gameplay (WOW use the shoulder buttons while flying through set pieces. Is this a Ubi-Soft game?). Yeah, we spent more time on making huge background assets, shitty script revisions, and animations for contrived cut-scenes, in yet another big-budget Sonic game than actually making good levels that aren't recycled 10+ times. Sorry, but not sold. Waiting for Sonic Mania over here. I don't play Sonic for the fucking story, or characters. I play it to have fun. To go fast, and make hair-pin-trigger decisions. This looks like a boring, contrived, slog and it breaks my heart as a Sonic fan since Sonic 2, but come on, I WANT there to be a good 3D Sonic in the last 10 years that isn't a nostalgia cash-in.

And this whole "make your own character" aspect on top of two Sonics just screams to me, "We have no idea what we're doing or what fans want! Plz buy this!".

This preemptive review gets the Anthus Seal of Quality. Angry, slightly-informed, and to the point!

• Cukeman likes this

#44 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:57 AM

And this whole "make your own character" aspect on top of two Sonics just screams to me, "We have no idea ... what fans want!".

Strongly disagree. Have you seen how many Sonic OCs exist? :P

#45 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:11 AM

I will admit, that it is some pretty smart marketing on Sega'a part. Sonic fan fiction, and even 'canon' comics and stuff are wayyyy contrived, so it is a good move to let players "finally" make their own Sonic character.. derived from "x" presets.. Good marketing does not a good game make. Look, I love Sonic as much as the next guy who first played one of the original three 20 something years ago, but this game will probably bomb. I guess my Sonic Bomb Radar is strong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users