Photo

Screenshot of the Week 73

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Choose wisely! (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Choose wisely!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 20 December 2004 - 05:30 AM

Dangit. I forgot to finish a shot yesterday. Oh well. We have enough entrants this week.

Hergiswi:

Trees, trees, grass, trees... good GBC layout, but nothing particularly stands out.

Shoelace:

I personally think this is the unsung gem of the week. Everything about it is very nicely put together, with a good balance of ground objects and terrain types. Personally, though, I'd stick to two tree colors per area. But that's all.

Ian:

Getting a little bit better each time, but sheesh, Ian, aren't you getting a little tired of entering essentially the same shot every week?? icon_razz.gif This is like the third or fourth time you've entered a shot from this same village.

skateboarder:

So, you're braving the calamity that is the SD3 tileset, are you? You're a brave soul, and for that I give you credit. I would like to vote for this shot, but I'm afraid there's something odd about it. I can't tell whether the left half of the screen is a very tall plateau or a very steep dropoff. I think it's a plateau, but it makes me wonder whether you're missing some corner tiles that should be in use.

Gashin:

Hmm, some good stuff here, but I think your floor tiles are so high-contrast that they throw off the look of the dungeon walls. I would definitely recolor them to something unobstrusive. Also, an oddity: your stalactites suggest a higher ceiling than the walls do. I do see that you're making the stalactites drip, though, and that's pretty cool.

Ccc:

Exactly what LTM said, excluding the part about the grass inconsistency (since I know it wasn't supposed to look like that).

Link128:

I think this looks great! I don't know why others disliked it. My only advice: villages are not big enough to have castle walls. The wooden stuff looks a little strange next to big stone walls.

Shashomaru:

Too, too dark. You know, there's nothing dishonorable about using a different palette for the sake of a SOTW entry, if the in-game palette is too dark to see in a tiny snapshot. icon_shrug.gif

Meh. Too many shots with significant problems. I'm going to vote for Shoelace on principle - even though fancy tiles count, they shouldn't be allowed to hide bad or boring design.

Edited by Radien, 20 December 2004 - 05:32 AM.

#17 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Dec 20 2004, 03:30 AM)
Gashin:

Hmm, some good stuff here, but I think your floor tiles are so high-contrast that they throw off the look of the dungeon walls. I would definitely recolor them to something unobstrusive. Also, an oddity: your stalactites suggest a higher ceiling than the walls do. I do see that you're making the stalactites drip, though, and that's pretty cool.

maybe I should just revamp the cave tiles altogether icon_aggravated.gif

though, where did you get the idea that they drip?

#18 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 20 December 2004 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE(Gashin @ Dec 20 2004, 09:59 AM)
though, where did you get the idea that they drip?

Er... I thought I saw a droplet somewhere. Maybe I was mistaken. ^_^; If so, perhaps you could treat it as a suggestion...

#19 skateboarder11

skateboarder11

Adept

• Members

Posted 22 December 2004 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Dec 20 2004, 05:30 AM)
skateboarder:

So, you're braving the calamity that is the SD3 tileset, are you? You're a brave soul, and for that I give you credit. I would like to vote for this shot, but I'm afraid there's something odd about it. I can't tell whether the left half of the screen is a very tall plateau or a very steep dropoff. I think it's a plateau, but it makes me wonder whether you're missing some corner tiles that should be in use.

It is a plateau. And the corners you think I'm missing... I was unable to find these. icon_neutral.gif

#20 phil

phil

Master

• Members

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:43 PM

I'm a sucker for Ian's tileset...

#21 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:27 PM

I jsut wanted to say that I really like Gashin's shot. (Though, there's never been an instance where I didn't)

BTW, Prince, I take it you're going to do a SotY now right?

#22 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 23 December 2004 - 03:00 AM

I'm totally too tired to comment at this point in time. If I don't say who I voted for now, I may as well not at all. I voted for IaN.

#23 PrinceMSC

PrinceMSC

Remember the Name

• Members

Posted 23 December 2004 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE(IaN @ Dec 22 2004, 10:27 PM)
I jsut wanted to say that I really like Gashin's shot. (Though, there's never been an instance where I didn't)

BTW, Prince, I take it you're going to do a SotY now right?

Yes, there is going to be a Screenshot of the Year. So who ever wins or has already won from SotM 13 up to SotM 24, will be in SotY. And I believe SotY will be going on around June or July, and SotY will last for a whole month.

I was going to go into details about SotY after SotM 19 but I think I'll get a topic going about sooner.

icon_king.gif PrinceMSC icon_king.gif

#24 Lonemind

Lonemind

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 26 December 2004 - 02:25 AM

Hergiswi - Nice design. I'm sure you do very well with Overworlds. Unfortunately I've never been a fan of the GameBoy sets. I'm a glutton for color. I did love the Map however. Great puzzle piece thing going on!

Shoelace - Neat shot. icon_biggrin.gif Personally I'd make more of the background show. You know the small trees. It'd really capture the feeling of being high in the mountains.

IaN - You're the one I voted for. I was thoroughly impressed with your shot. The colors are awesome. Have a soft tone to them that I like. LOVE those houses and that carpet. Did you make those or did they come with the set?

Skateboarder11 - It's pretty. icon_smile.gif Kinda empty... You might want to break up that cliff with some ledges or add some vines or something. I AM a big fan of SD3. icon_biggrin.gif

Gashin - Your shot would've been my second choice. Great eye-candy. Very detailed too. I'm not so sure I like the floor tiles. It makes it look very... busy. It's hard to keep your eye on for long.

Ccc - I like your shot too. It's... refreshing somehow, which is a very good thing. I like it's simplicity and the color combinations. Might want to break up the trees around the edges though. I dunno if you can do that AND keep it simple though. icon_razz.gif

Link128 - Your shot was really neat too! It made me laugh, in a good way. I got the mental image of the entire castle Hyrule rooting itself up to take a vacation in the Bahamas. Very lovely.

Shashomaru - I like the dark feel of your shot. I'll bet in the context of the game it really adds to the atmosphere of the area. As a screenshot it's a bit too dark. I can't see very much. icon_smile.gif

#25 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 26 December 2004 - 11:20 PM

The houses and trees I ripped from The Minish Cap, the stone paths are already in the set. The thing I'm most impressed with is the grass. I really like what I did with it.

#26 PrinceMSC

PrinceMSC

Remember the Name

• Members

Posted 28 December 2004 - 06:54 PM

Clearly IaN is the winner. Congratulations IaN on the win.

icon_king.gif PrinceMSC icon_king.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users