Calling all programmers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Nation

Dark Nation

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:15 AM

To help speed up development, I have been given authorization to add some new programmers to ZC. Koopa would be promoted to Senior Scapegoat and the newcomers would be standard Scapegoats.

So, if you think you have what it takes, reply to this thread. There may be a real-world test given (fix actual bugs from ZC) to test your abilities, so only reply if you know what you are doing. Candidates will be screened by the current programmers then passed along to War Lord for final approval.

As ZC is written in C/C++ don't bother replying unless you can program in that.

Let the games begin.

#2 methinkso2

methinkso2

• Members

Posted 17 May 2006 - 01:02 PM

I have what I think to be a decent amount of experience in C/C++. A few weeks ago, I just finished my first year at DigiPen, where I was the producer of a team of 4 developing a text-based game. I also have some experience with the Windows GDI and DirectX (very little of the latter, enough to make Breakout at least). I can't guarentee consistant work once my fall semester starts again (if I have time for any work at all), but I am free for the most part over the summer.

Let me know what you think. Thanks :-D

~Scott

#3 Rakki

Rakki

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:31 PM

FYI, methinkso, Direct X isn't particularly used for ZC, they use Allegro for pretty much the whole engine because it's a cross-platform library. So whether or not DN thinks you'd be a good programmer, I'd suggest learning about it. Although, they're going to be switching over to wxWidgets sometime here, so...

Anyway, I remember the last time you made a topic asking programmers to help out, with getting the NSF format to play in-game, DN. It saddens me seeing these topics from you, because I would very much like to help out, but I don't think I have the skills necessary for such a task. icon_frown.gif I suppose I should probably just get my butt in gear and start reading up on/messing around with more C++ and the Allegro/wxWidgets libraries, eh? icon_razz.gif

#4 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:42 PM

I've been through C++. And trust me when I say that learning it is NOT easy. Especially not in a day or even a week. I had it for 3 months and still only understand about half of it.

I have a good DOS background but that only goes so far in C++. Some of it is still there, but not much. It's the only reason that I could even comprehend the stuff.

Edited by rocksfan13, 17 May 2006 - 02:44 PM.

#5 Rakki

Rakki

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:46 PM

I know that, rocksfan. I've pretty much got my head around a lot of the simpler concepts, but some things confuse me still. One that DID confuse me was Polymorphing, but Wikipedia helped me realize what that was about. icon_razz.gif

#6 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:51 PM

It'd be nice to see ya try and help out the developers then. I wish you lots of luck with that.
As for me. I'm done with school. No more for me. I'd help out but it is well beyond my experience. The most I ever did was write a short RPG in College. Even that required a lot of help.
All I gotta say is icon_thumbsup.gif for those that find this stuff easy and enjoy it. May you bring loads of fun to future ZCers.

#7 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:57 PM

*knows C++*
*sucks*

#8 Sacred Nym

Sacred Nym

Wizard

• Members

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:17 PM

Makes me wish I could lol.

#9 Deviance

Deviance

Le' Deviant

• Banned

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:14 PM

Well I know DN is not going to just pick out just registered members. But then again you never know. DN I would help out but you know I don't program in C. I'm just a delphi programmer icon_razz.gif

#10 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:17 PM

I know some C/C++. I was helping out DarkNation with the Mac OS X port actually, and I was playing with Allegro for a while too, but he stopped coming to Initialized. I helped him out with ideas and such, like packaging all the files inside the app, and I know my way with Xcode, and OS X. I know C, C++ and Obj-C, and I'd be glad to "audition" for a role.

#11 DragonAtma

DragonAtma

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:18 PM

If I could help out, I would. Unfortunately, however, I'm not a programmer...

Of course, if you plan on porting it to Commodore 64... ;)

#12 Deviance

Deviance

Le' Deviant

• Banned

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:19 PM

YES THE COMMODORE 64! It owns all systems icon_razz.gif. Now that would be funny if they had a zc for that system.

#13 DragonAtma

DragonAtma

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:32 PM

But seriously, I need to stop being lazy and learn a non-obsolete language (like C++!)

#14 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:54 PM

CODE
include <iostream.h>
{
       cout="Hello World!"

return 0
}

Thats about all I know, and I'm not sure I'm even doing the code right. Luckily I'm going to cyber camp this summer.

#15 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:20 PM

You guys are funny. icon_razz.gif They're looking for people who already know C++. I don't quite see it being helpful is someone almost knows how to program. icon_razz.gif Either you've mastered it or you haven't. If you really want to get good, practice it and master it quickly. Otherwise just try to find people who you trust who know C++ and are interested in such a thing.

Although {
Real Life > ZC }

You know that {
ZC > You + Me }

You do the math.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users