• Please log in to reply
7943 replies to this topic

#7486 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:05 PM

@Kurt91- That sounds like a lot more work than I'm willing to go through for the end result that I wish to achieve.

bH1vn4s.png

I think I like these areas without an overhead layer better than the ones which retain it.

I love this idea a lot. However, you have a perspective problem. If you look at the top wooden planks, they have the same perspective as the ones facing down. It gives it the impression that it's literally just straight up, like a column almost.

-coRXTzBROSfyJ01kWFugA.png

This is best what I could describe as your solution would be. Put this tile against the original mountain tiles and you'll see what I mean. However, your solution would be even more simple. Just cut off the half circles on the top of the plans, and replace it with a straight line, unless something else works. When it's fixed you'll see what I mean! :)

• ywkls likes this

#7487 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:15 PM

I love this idea a lot. However, you have a perspective problem. If you look at the top wooden planks, they have the same perspective as the ones facing down. It gives it the impression that it's literally just straight up, like a column almost.

I'm trying to understand what you mean from the rest of your post, but I just don't for whatever reason.

Maybe you could give an example in another screenshot? This one, for instance?

VFwJGZ0.png

I haven't finished adding enemies to this dungeon yet. That Yellow chest is something I'm thinking of doing in every dungeon; an extra Magic Container you need an item from a later dungeon to reach.

• judasrising and Jared like this

#7488 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:20 PM

That said, have you actually tried it? And what are your display settings? Because I have 144 Hz, and I can see pixels shaking everywhere underneath this layer, transparent or not. The screen looks like it's vibrating. If you're genuinely doing a thing like that in a quest of yours, and it somehow looks OK to you, you might want to get a range of opinions from people on different displays before deciding on making it a final effect.

I use a small HDTV as a computer monitor through an HDMI cord. It looks fine on my end, although I've also got that script that I mentioned earlier going to make the fog scroll across the screen. That extra layer of movement also helps hide the flickering a bit, as well.

You know, this discussion kind of makes me wish that ZC had a filter or a shader like on emulators to imitate one of those old televisions. I never had an actual Genesis growing up, just Nintendo systems, so I never did get to see just how the effect looked on original hardware. I just played them on emulator (and an ancient Sonic & Knuckles Collection PC disc), and read some things on how the artwork was done. I liked some of the ideas, and tried imitating them on my quest when I started seeing the usual transparency issues. By the time I was finished, I was pretty happy with how it looked.

#7489 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:43 PM

I'm trying to understand what you mean from the rest of your post, but I just don't for whatever reason.

Maybe you could give an example in another screenshot? This one, for instance?

This one's sort of fixed the problem Jared's talking about with the chest. Only sort though. The basic problem is this. The tree trunks look almost sideview - you're looking at them from head on. The planks, on the other hand, are the same on the top and bottom, ergo you're looking at them from directly above, top down. In cases where you can't see the tops of the planks, like where the treasure chest covers it, it look good. Everywhere else though, it's clashing perspectives. I think you could probably fix it by editing the tiles so that the bottom face is larger and the top face is smaller, giving the impression that you're looking at them from more of an angle instead of top-down.

#7490 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:10 AM

The edit would be rather simple, I wouldn't care too much though. There are other issues like the pillars just ending in the clouds. I know it is the best solution with these tiles right now, just letting them go down forever wouldn't look good. DoR isn't perfect, we just have to live with that ;)

The colors of the chest are something else. The gold is not my taste but OK, the white though looks certainly not like silver, especially next to the gold. Also the idea itself is not mine. This screams backtracking without the slightest bit of fun. If anything I would prefer one ore two dungeons that include a second half only accessible later with a new item. Then again this is just my opinion.

#7491 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:39 PM

RyKJPFS.png

Nothing seems out of the ordinary...

• judasrising, Shane, Eddy and 5 others like this

#7492 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:21 PM

gTBXBFS.png

The Lurelin Guardhouse...in use? It hasn't been touched in ages, since peace reigned in Hyrule.

Comments and critiques are highly appreciated! It's the only way I'll get better.

• Shane, Eddy, Matthew and 1 other like this

#7493 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:24 PM

My only suggestion would be to maybe add a smoother transition between the dark ground in the north of the screen and the light ground to the south. Amazing screen though!

• Adem and Jared like this

#7494 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:42 AM

I would also suggest adding a quick transition tile between the two floor types. The difference in style is just enough that it creates an issue without having something to tie them together. Overall, though, it's great to see you using the GameBoy set so avidly, and you're showing recognizable growth with each shot!

• Jared likes this

#7495 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:26 AM

t70GVfS.png

Trying out a custom palette here. I'm not really too keen on the green, but does it look "beachy"? Obviously the screen itself is not finished, and the Classic water will not be used (but the color will).

• Jared and Matthew like this

#7496 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

2MNUUTi.png

Small little note about something I realized about the ZC community and quest making:

Not every screen needs to have a secret. Not every screen needs to be "Screenshot of The Week" material. Not everything you show has to be groundbreaking or crazy.

Empty space is okay. Connecting/travel screens are okay. Secretless screens are just as good as ones with secrets. Not every quest needs to have scripts. And it is okay if yours does too. 

Make screens for yourself and your happiness. They don't have to be perfect. Everyone is always learning in this program. We've all had our share of mistakes and successes. Learn from them and move forward. There should be no hate or angst against people who make quests, and even ones who don't. There should be no bullying of any kind over a hobby we all enjoy. Make what you want. Have fun. There is no competition. 

And please; don't bully, harass or talk behinds people's backs about this stuff. It's immature and useless. At the end of the day, it's just a hobby we all enjoy creating and playing alike. Love and support one another's creations.

• Anthus, Adem, FireSeraphim and 6 others like this

#7497 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:18 AM

I find it a bit shocking that such an obvious thing has to be stated - and I honestly have a difficult time to believe that there are things of this kind going on as the community appears so tolerant and understanding all the time.

Whatever, your screen is as great as expected. Not exactly helpful if you want to encourage people to be satisfied with their screens if your one looks so good ;) I personally hate these ball-trees, but that's just my opinion.
  • Jared likes this

#7498 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

2MNUUTi.png

Can Link walk 'behind' the treetops here? i.e. is that bush a kind of lock opening up the path to the north, east, west? I'd like that.

• Jared likes this

#7499 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:54 PM

Yes. I use GB like modern tilesets. :)

• Shane likes this

#7500 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

You're right, Jared. I just like to think it's a case of people just showing their more outstanding screens over their basic ones. Nothing wrong with basic shots though, I think they have a charm of their own. I also feel it's just peoples expectations influencing people to show less basic screens otherwise they'll get criticized for having screens that are not "special" and have "been seen before", which are pretty invalid points IMO. I like your field screen, it's simple but effective and those trees are a nice pick. You are bringing a whole new side to EZGBZ. :D

• Jared likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users