legit

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:54 PM

This is basically a scripted engine in ZC. There's still plenty of things that need added, like enemies, items, functional combos, a scripted subscreen (a default one might function, but it also might not... depends on how items end up being handled), etc

So far, scrolling around on the map (with solidity) works, items have been partially implemented, custom Link actions and similar things have been partially implemented, along with some other miscellaneous things.

Downloads and stuff:

Version 2.6:
Pastebin: Module 1, Module 2, Module 3, Module 4

Dropbox Download: Tech Demo + Code

Currently implemented Modules:

Module 1: This has the map scrolling code itself, the global script, and some generally useful functions.

Module 2: This handles Link's actions, his animation(s), and items.
Module 3: This will eventually handle custom weapons, possibly hurting Link a/o enemies. Currently doesn't do much though.

Module 4: This allows you to create a "sprite". Think of it like a version of DrawCombo that can be persistent (except with drawing tiles and not combos).

Planned Modules:

Module 5: This would handle enemies (so Links collisions with them, their 'AI', etc)
Module 6: Scripted subscreen. Not sure the exact uses of it, but because how much of the "engine" is gonna be rescripted, I'd imagine some default subcreen things wouldn't work correctly.

Anyone can contribute, and I'll periodically update this thread with updates to the code, etc. Enjoy!

• Mani Kanina, Shane, Eddy and 8 others like this

#2 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:56 PM

That one feature everyone have wanted but no one have been arsed to script! :^)

Can't wait for it to be complete!
  • coolgamer012345 and Deedee like this

#3 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:37 PM

Keep up the good work! I'm very excited to see this become a reality!

Also happy birthday!

*/// !0~0!

Edited by FlameCursed, 20 May 2016 - 06:52 PM.

• coolgamer012345 likes this

#4 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:53 PM

Impressive stuff!

Edit: actually its shit cuz its in engine now. sad!

Edited by Shane, 05 August 2022 - 04:40 PM.

• Jared and coolgamer012345 like this

#5 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:55 AM

This is basically a scripted engine in ZC. There's still plenty of things that need added, like enemies, items, functional combos, a scripted subscreen (a default one might function, but it also might not... depends on how items end up being handled), etc

So far, scrolling around on the map (with solidity) works, items have been partially implemented, custom Link actions and similar things have been partially implemented, along with some other miscellaneous things.

Downloads and stuff:
Version 2.6:
Pastebin: Module 1, Module 2, Module 3, Module 4
Dropbox Download: Tech Demo + Code

Currently implemented Modules:
Module 1: This has the map scrolling code itself, the global script, and some generally useful functions.
Module 2: This handles Link's actions, his animation(s), and items.Module 3: This will eventually handle custom weapons, possibly hurting Link a/o enemies. Currently doesn't do much though.
Module 4: This allows you to create a "sprite". Think of it like a version of DrawCombo that can be persistent (except with drawing tiles and not combos).

Planned Modules:
Module 5: This would handle enemies (so Links collisions with them, their 'AI', etc)Module 6: Scripted subscreen. Not sure the exact uses of it, but because how much of the "engine" is gonna be rescripted, I'd imagine some default subcreen things wouldn't work correctly.
Anyone can contribute, and I'll periodically update this thread with updates to the code, etc. Enjoy!

Did you base on those z3 file packs? If so, it's good that someone is working on it. I had some ideas on simplification of enemies, but I never got round to testing them. When you have a moment, as long as you're doing this, we need to chat about what I was going to do, and see if it'll work.

In general, my plan was to force-spawn real enemies based on combos. If a specific combo was on layer 4, and hasn't spawned an enemy, spawn one on it, then change the combo. That would only require reversion via an 'area reset', and would ensure that you don't need to hand-code every enemy.

It'd also simplify collision, as you can use an eweapon or item and move it around invisibly, and apply collision with it and an enemy or weapoon, as damage to Link.

I was also considering panning the screen based on an item that moves about and, if it leaves the screen, do panning. Player input would mov e the item, and Link, and thus it's a possible way to use engine Link and combo interaction, instead of a basic proxy..

The other thing I had considered is less-centred panning: Pan only when th pllayer is close to a screen edge.

#6 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:44 AM

Did you base on those z3 file packs? If so, it's good that someone is working on it. I had some ideas on simplification of enemies, but I never got round to testing them. When you have a moment, as long as you're doing this, we need to chat about what I was going to do, and see if it'll work.

In general, my plan was to force-spawn real enemies based on combos. If a specific combo was on layer 4, and hasn't spawned an enemy, spawn one on it, then change the combo. That would only require reversion via an 'area reset', and would ensure that you don't need to hand-code every enemy.

It'd also simplify collision, as you can use an eweapon or item and move it around invisibly, and apply collision with it and an enemy or weapoon, as damage to Link.

I was also considering panning the screen based on an item that moves about and, if it leaves the screen, do panning. Player input would mov e the item, and Link, and thus it's a possible way to use engine Link and combo interaction, instead of a basic proxy..

The other thing I had considered is less-centred panning: Pan only when th pllayer is close to a screen edge.

I very lightly looked over the old Z3 scrolling files, but I didn't base this on them (atleast not intentionally; if there's similarities in how things are done it's most likely coincidence). Feel free to PM me about this on Skype or something whenever (if it was at a time I wasn't on I'd get the messages eventually, of course). Something that may be noteworthy is I changed my username on Skype to include some special Unicode characters which may not show up correctly on your end, so my username might just look like a bunch of boxes or whatever the default "unknown" character is.

The original plan I had for enemies was to have have a large enemy buffer array, which would somehow load what enemies to use for whatever map link was on (either through some function or using FFC's or some other method to set the array); One flaw with this is that it would be tedious as all hell to set, and also may have issues with the enemy count.

As for using an item to pan the screen, why couldn't it just be some global variable/array indices?

I think editing some of the if()'s in Z3_Scrolling() (about in the middle of it) should allow panning the map when Link gets closer to the edge of the screen.

Edited by TheBlueTophat, 25 May 2016 - 06:55 AM.

#7 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:24 AM

Very cool.

• coolgamer012345 likes this

#8 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:00 AM

Dunno about top-down scrolling in ZC (cause the engine is quirky), but scrolling could be a major improvement to sideview gravity ZC games. Have you done any sideview testing?

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:07 AM

Dunno about top-down scrolling in ZC (cause the engine is quirky), but scrolling could be a major improvement to sideview gravity ZC games. Have you done any sideview testing?

I certainly have. :D

• ywkls likes this

#10 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:58 AM

I haven't tested it with the engine yet, but I'm planning on making it an option. Even if this engine didn't have that option for whatever reason, a lot of the code could be recycled for a sideview version.

#11 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 05 August 2022 - 01:41 PM

I think you should finishg tis :leangamer:

• Shane likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users