Don'ts for ZQuest

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:04 PM

I think you can maybe make the raft work alright by adding walls on either side of the land beside the dock, meaning there's no way to walk into the water (i.e. pretty much what you said, except we're funneling the player before the dock as opposed to at the dock.

Also, if you're not using 4-way movement, the 4-way ladder is sadly rather glitchy.

#32 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:07 PM

Nah, I tried that, it's still way too easy to end up half-off the dock and in the water.

#33 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:08 PM

Don't try so hard to make the next breakthrough quest. Burnout is a real thing (not the racing series, like, actual burnout) and if you aren't careful, you'll find yourself stressing over the dumbest little details.

Addendum to this: Don't push yourself too hard in the creation of your quest, even if it's "simple" either, especially with large projects it can overwhelm you and lead to burnout. Set realistic short-term goals.

Edited by Binx, 21 June 2018 - 09:09 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#34 fraZ0R

fraZ0R

• Members

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:48 AM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet, but its because its so obvious not to do it that people forgot it exists. Money or life rooms. Just don't.

#35 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 22 July 2018 - 01:15 PM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet, but its because its so obvious not to do it that people forgot it exists. Money or life rooms. Just don't.

I think there can be exceptions to this rule. Particularly if it's part of a narrative decision. Although, for normal Zelda quests, I would mostly agree.

#36 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 22 July 2018 - 03:17 PM

Yeah, I have to admit that I put one in the One Screen Massacre, but I made the price just 10 rupees, so (hopefully) it shouldn't be an issue - the justification being comedy. I might put down the price.

#37 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:46 PM

It might be a reference to a famous line used by highwaymen back in the 17th-18th centuries

#38 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:46 PM

I'd say, don't award flippers and the ladder/raft. Use SCCs to trade them off, or a script of some sort to toggle enable/disable.

Once Link can swim, both of those items become evil.

(File that under ZC mechanical issues that I don't want to touch at present, or at all.)

The rest of this...feh.

#39 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:12 PM

Don't get salty at other's opinions of your work. Just learn from it and move on.

• Nathaniel, Shane and Matthew like this

#40 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:37 AM

I'd say, don't award flippers and the ladder/raft. Use SCCs to trade them off, or a script of some sort to toggle enable/disable.

Once Link can swim, both of those items become evil.

(File that under ZC mechanical issues that I don't want to touch at present, or at all.)

Is there a way to deactivate the ladder on water? Because it might still be useful on 'Ladder Only' or 'Ladder or Hookshot' combos once you have the flippers (and I've built my quest around having both because of younger me's decisions :/)

Edited by klop422, 23 July 2018 - 07:37 AM.

#41 Nightmeres

Nightmeres

Defender

• Members

Posted 23 July 2018 - 10:34 PM

its either a quest rule or screen flag(checked just now, there is a toggle allow ladder screen flag) would that work? for the record im using 2.5.1 

Edited by Nightmeres, 23 July 2018 - 10:35 PM.

#42 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:44 AM

Don't be too quick to dismiss classic tileset.it might be your best shot if you're inexperienced with ZC, and you can still do neat things with it.
  • jerome likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users