Photo

Link's Blade Crusade

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Questions About Link's Blade Crusade (votes are public) (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Overall, what would you rate this expo entry?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Where does the difficulty of Link's Blade Crusade's expo lie?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Was the quest's main gimmick was executed well? Select the answer that fits you best.

Vote

#16 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

So, I've played this one and found it to be pretty enjoyable. I feel that it does a good job of emulating the old Z1-esque format, while still giving it some of it's own flavor. I found the 1st dungeon to be pretty clever with how the moldorms are introduced, and then you return back to them able to handle them.

One of the big complaints I've heard is dealing with Farore's Wind, but I love the idea of an in-game escape tool. I would actually suggest maybe moving it to EX1, or another additional button, to prevent players from accidentally using it when they don't want to, but still giving them a means to escape. You could even then tie in that ability to "quick escape" into other mechanics later on. Maybe death traps or such? Just throwing it out there.

I saw some people complaining about the staircase to the L1 item, but I know personally I had no issue with it. Again, it felt deliberately old school and since there's not a ton of rooms where you have blocks in them, I think it's fine.

The boomerang's re-purpose is quite nice, honestly. It kind of ties in with the more modern Zelda games where the boomerang functions quite well as a weapon.

This quest, while short, has a ton of potential. I'm really curious to see where it goes. I'd give the demo a 5/5 overall, since I found no issues and it definitely interested me in seeing more. I would recommend maybe you should consider opening up a quest project, so people can continue to follow this after the Expo. Good luck!

• Shane, Eddy and RedmageAdam like this

#17 Shane

Shane

Average Quest Maker

• Members

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:34 AM

On the outside, it may seem like just another Zelda One clone, perhaps smaller after hearing the word "miniquest". But when playing, you'll realize how wrong you were because the experience was refreshing, enjoyable and innovative. It's well thought out and the presentation is simple, but nice. A lot of simplistic quests should be like this; a simple quest with a neat twist. There's so much unseen potential, and hopefully your quest will make this seen. I was honestly expecting to give this a 3/5, or perhaps a 4/5. But nope, a solid 5/5. This quest might be simple, but I feel like it could be a small revolution for Zelda One clone-esque quests. I'm glad you're continuing with this, and I'm more glad you're adding in green cacti. Me love green cacti. :D

(I apologize for rushing this review and not clarifying on certain things. But don't worry, I'm planning on perhaps making full fledged reviews in my review thread for each (or most) expo entries. Perhaps sometime after the expo is closed, or perhaps asap.)

• Eddy and Avataro like this

#18 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:05 AM

I did a video review of this quest, if you're interested.

http://youtu.be/bM46RiPHr9M

#19 RedmageAdam

RedmageAdam

The Protector of Emotions

• Members

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:12 AM

I did a video review of this quest, if you're interested.

http://youtu.be/bM46RiPHr9M

As stated in a PM I sent you, there are a lot of things that you said I will consider. You brought up a lot of valid points.

Out of respect for those that don't want the game ruined for them, the remainder of my response will be in the form of a spoiler.

Spoiler

All in all, I feel I took more chances in this expo than when I did Adam's Quest II. For that one, I was literally watching the thread like a hawk and trying to roll out bug fixes the instant they happened. For level 1, I did keep it small because it's in contrast to dungeons in other quests I worked on where I tend to make them fairly large. That and as you said, it helps keep it from overstaying its welcome. Less is more in that case. Level 1 was mostly linear due to the limited map space to work with given the shape. I will say this though; level 2 is significantly larger, but hopefully I can use the feedback to make it more successful.

Once again, thank you for your time reviewing the expo. You really gave a thorough review of the good, the bad and the ugly and it really helps me know what I did well and what could have been done better.

• Eddy likes this

#20 RedmageAdam

RedmageAdam

The Protector of Emotions

• Members

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:45 AM

Okay, bit of an update. Before you ask, the download link has NOT been changed. None of the following changes will be present in the expo/demo file. Anyway, in response to both positive and negative feedback, here are some of the changes I made:

• The Candle will now inflict damage on Link should he come in contact with it. This will make the player have to be more careful with spamming it.
  • Aries Shrine has undergone a few changes. First of all, I put something that requires the Candle on the way to the boss to help people from getting stuck. Secondly, the old man's clue is more useful, hinting towards pushing blocks, since that has been the single largest complaint about the expo. I also redecorated the dungeon to make it look nicer as well. Lastly, the boss's room has been changed around a bit so the doors are not blocked off and it's a bit more cramped, making the fight a bit tougher.
  • Some cacti have been added to the desert area to make it look slightly less bland. One of them will contain something underneath, but it will be one of those "so close but so far away" secrets, just to mock you, similar to the Heart Container that requires the 4-Way Ladder to get.

Other possible changes I may make:

• Reducing the Candle's damage by either giving a lot of enemies a 1/2 damage flag to fire or buffing other weapons to indirectly nerf it. The boss of Aries Shrine would be unaffected since that's how you're intended to kill them.
  • Possibly adding in a magic meter and tying its usage to the Candle to further discourage spamming it, a concern brought up by kurt91. This may be used as an alternative to the change above. Farore's Wind wouldn't cost magic however so you always have an emergency escape, especially if you're like me and avoid using the infamous F6 continue trick unless you're forced to.
  • Moving Farore's Wind to a shop and giving you a different item at the start. You would still be defenseless until you find your first weapon, but it should make things a bit more manageable.

EDIT

Here is a rough draft of a story I came up with for this quest:

"After defeating Ganon, Link looked for his next adventure. However, Ganon was not truly defeated and whisked our hero away to a new place, stripping him of all of his equipment. In this strange land however, there is only one sword, but it is protected by a sacred shrine to prevent it from falling into Ganon’s hands. Can Link gather his courage and complete his crusade for the legendary blade that will seal the King of Evil away once and for all?"

Edited by RedmageAdam, 15 November 2014 - 10:52 AM.

• Eddy likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users