Photo

SticksAndStones.qst -- 3/2015 demo

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#151 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:41 PM

thank you!

I finished it.

cool!

*I hate the sand tiles. They hurt the eyes.

hmm... I'm sorry. I wonder if others have this issue.

*What's the purpose of the keys?

to be implemented. they are to serve a planned purpose.

*The lens are useless. They don't reveal anything. I'm in 2.5

they are just a simple tool that will allow you to see a select few things. I don't plan for them to be particularly useful. I may even take the item sprite out and have it be one of the learned skills like few other "items." --hmm... I probably did have some sort of plan for the skill (item) on a particular late screen. here's hoping I can hold on to the concept through furthering the sequences at the end of the game.

2rdyxza.jpg
No reward here. Too hard for nothing =( There are many empty gifts in the quest

come back and try them again. they are like grass or bushes with occasional drops.  the arrangement and frequency of these will be tweaked for difficulty balancing as things change, most likely.

14agakh.jpg
It's not a good idea to have a invisible gibdo here. Cheap (I can't see it with the black background)

the invisible enemies serve a theme and become more logical as the game progresses. at least this one is fairly early and only about 24% likely to give you trouble if you walk straight through the screen.  there are signs and clues, though, so I don't feel too bad.  this concept is staying in the game and the accessibility of the cure item is good enough, I believe.

Bugs:
2nhdhms.jpg
There are invisible solid ground combos here. Below the sprite.

yes! thank you! that is very helpful. I'm sorry for the error and I'll be sure to fix it! this is great, as I doubt I('d) have found it on my own. 

9iqs8x.jpg
This is what happens when I break the policeman shield. No sprites.

I do not understand this. if I change the rule will it fix it? where are the sprites in the sprite page if I add something? I need help understanding this issue. I think you use a certain method or item to take the shield from the darknut pigcop. am I right? then there is no sprite for the changed enemy, right? I've never had any understanding of this concept. I've never taken the shield form a darknut and I don't understand how it is done nor how to accommodate it within ZQuest. I'd appreciate a followup here, sir.

Well, like the last year, I love the idea and the tileset. The best advice that I can give is switching the quest to 2.5. In 2.5 you can get a lot of inspiration with the enemy editor and balance things in a quite easy way. You would have control of the drops and damage. Also, you can modify sound effects in 2.5.

not going to happen. this is a 1.90 quest and will stay there.

Be imaginative with the items, add more type of tiles, add more animations to make the quest more lively, be creative with the screen design... I don't know what more to say. You should have the whole thing planned beforehand. I would love to see it finished.

thanks! I'd love to see it finished, too. I am very thankful for the inspiration and the task of fixing the error which will get me into the editor again. please respond with as much help as you can for the darknut issue. what did you do and what happened? what can I do to fix it? where are the sprites located that failed to appear? am I understanding this at all?

Edited by trudatman, 19 March 2015 - 12:31 AM.

#152 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:49 PM

I'm totally happy with this quest in 1.90. But you seem to be stuck without any advance in the last year. A lot of my favorite quests are from older versions, so it's totally possible still to do great quests in older builds if you are inspired. A quest like this would greatly benefit if you use 2.5, and it would provide that sharp of inspiration that you need to finish this. What is your reason to use this limited build?

About the darknutt, you can break the shield with the hammer. I'm not familiar with 1.90. There is a rule to make the shield breakable/unbreakable in 2.5, as far as I know. So, when I broke the shield, there aren't sprites assigned.

Edited by Air Luigi, 08 March 2015 - 11:56 PM.

#153 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:22 AM

yeah, that's what I thought, but I still don't fully get it. I'll try changing the rule. I don't know where on the sprite/tile sheet the "broken" ones are. how did you break them? that's another part I don't understand. anybody else can jump in here if they can help me understand this better.

#154 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

I doubt you'll get the help you need. No one uses, nor even know what 1.9 is like anymore. Most people on the site nowadays have never even used it. :shrug:

Edited by Jared, 09 March 2015 - 09:31 AM.

• Shane likes this

#155 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:57 AM

I'm pretty sure this question relates to all versions. the question is about broken darknut shields and how they are used. I don't think you need to know 1.90 to help. if you can show me where on the sprite sheet the broken ones are in any version, that should help. I feel like you are not only not trying to help... but that you are trying to discourage others from helping.

#156 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:17 PM

yeah, that's what I thought, but I still don't fully get it. I'll try changing the rule. I don't know where on the sprite/tile sheet the "broken" ones are. how did you break them? that's another part I don't understand. anybody else can jump in here if they can help me understand this better.

Hammer against darknutt, that's all. Maybe can't you break it in 1.90? I don't know. If you can do the shield unbreakable with a rule, that should work. But i'm not a zquest expert.

#157 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:53 PM

thanks. that's where I was going to start, although I am very much curious about from which tile/sprite slots it loads the graphics.

thanks again for helping me to rally up some considerations in the direction of this project. my free time has approached nil for too long, but that has to stop at some point, right?

oh, and I am now seeing and addressing your question about why I use 1.90. it's because I know this version something like 79% well. I'm at around 18% in 2.5s. I can complete a functional quest with this. I am not distracted by the nearly infinite possibilities. I get to push some actual boundaries and find quirky success within 1.90. I like 1.90. I can't really say that for 2.5s, which I certainly appreciate but don't -- yet, hopefully -- enjoy. I can finish this thing and make a tileset of it and then walk away, for the most part. sure, I might open it back up to address problems and/or make tweaks, but I don't think 2.5 projects ever feel finished and I doubt I'd feel that my own could be.

I do have a 2.5 project started, but it'll need a team of help for any sort of real progress. i also have a 2.5 project well developed in my mind, but that would come after and also require a team. I just don't have the time to learn 2.5, as it doesn't come naturally to me at all.

Edited by trudatman, 09 March 2015 - 02:03 PM.

#158 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:35 PM

No idea about 1.9, but here is a post about how to set shieldless sprites. It's crossed out because it didn't answer the question in that topic, but it answers your question.
http://www.purezc.ne...=1

#159 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:53 PM

it doesn't transfer, but I appreciate the try.

#160 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:58 PM

again, no idea about 1.9, but let's assume that 1.9 didn't feature breakable shields.  you couldn't set them, and there was no rule for it.  potentially any 1.9 quest being played in 2.50 will be broken with regard to enemy shields.  maybe the devs missed a rule check for quests of that era?

unless someone remembers anything about this from 1.9 era.  or one of the devs can fix that rule for you.  a solution would be to just save your finished quest in 2.50 with the rule off.  maybe that would break more stuff though...

#161 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:03 PM

I haven't been back in since this discussion started, but there is a rule for it. I will flip that switch. it should fix it. I also would like to explore where it pulls those sprites from.

#162 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:18 AM

thanks, again, guys.  and AirLuigi, I expect to add more animated action once I rule out more items like the compass, map, heart containers and heart container pieces.  (items are the easiest way to animate in 1.90.)  I haven't gotten much of anything done in a year because my free time is extremely limited.  I'm trying to free some up, one way or another.

#163 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:21 AM

Have you checked where they are in another 1.90 tileset? I think Newfirst had them.

#164 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:02 AM

word.  good call.  thanks.

without downloading a bunch of tilesets and using my offline computer to run the program, here's a screenshot of a fairly standard 1.90 character spritesheet:

s22s3.gif

if anybody feels like helping, check an old tileset that you know uses the broken darknut shield sprites -- that you can access -- and note where they are.  I don't recall ever seeing this in action and I don't have easy access to a variety of tilesets on my browsing computer nor my offline zquesting computer.  thanks.

#165 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:52 AM

I know it's somewhere on page two. I couldn't tell you exactly where. It's been a good long time since I used 1.90.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users