Terraria 1.2.3

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

Terraria 1.2.3 was released at 8 PM EST which unfortunately caught me off guard as I had gotten ready to retire for the evening, and besides updating was slow of course. So for those of you who spent the last 12 hours playing it what are your initial thoughts?

Here's the change log if you want to give it a read through.

http://www.terrariao...a-1-2-3.132539/

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

Two big issues that really bug me.

One, Spectre Armor is completely useless now. It uses more mana now, meaning your whole mana bar is gone after about 4 seconds of continuous use. But that's why Mana potions exist, right? Yeah... except using them gives you a 20% damage drop. Basically, no matter how you run it, mage characters are irreparably crippled. I'm swapping to Melee, which bugs me because I really liked the Spectre Armor.

Second, all the grinding. They've made it impossible to grind off meteor heads, goldfish farms, etc, made all the hardmode armors require clorophyte, and made it even harder to find, and nerfed Spelunker potions on top of that. The net result is that you're gonna have to grind, a lot, to get anywhere now, which really isn't at all fun.

And on a lesser note, remember how we were promised a new boss int he next update? Yeah, that didn't happen.

So basically, the Terraria devs said "Hey, there's this new game called Starbound, and we're gonna give you just the right incentive to stop playing Terraria and go play that instead."

#3 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

I don't think it's all that extreme XP.  I did feel the Spectre Armor needed to be nerfed, even as a mage, since you could just tank everything no problem.  But they did nerf mages a bit TOO much.  I get that the mana potions should've had a cooldown, but not a damage decrease as well.  Not that I use them anyway...I have Magic Cuffs.

Edited by Koh, 14 February 2014 - 11:41 AM.

#4 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

Let's list the ways Re-Digit proves they want Terraria DEAD:

-Most of my equipment is ruined; I have a Legendary Terra Blade that doesn't give ANY bonus stats, WTF!? Same with my Megashark and a lot of other stuff; they have modifiers but don't give any bonus stats.

EDIT: I just attempted to re-forge my Terra Blade and luckily got Legendary on the first try with the correct stat boosts applied.

-They keep nerfing things making it near impossible without hardcore cheating.

-Potion sickness for Mana? Why not nerf the Magic Cuffs instead? More idiots working at Re-Digit I swear.

Oh and Hylian, the Spectre Hood set seems to heal a larger amount of damage. I was hitting 30-40s and getting back around 6-8 HP per hit. The Mask set is crap; so you do bonus damage...which is like 1-15 damage on the advanced Hardmode mobs. They love their awesome but impractical items. I just got a full set of Beetle Armor, so I'll likely go back to a melee setup. Now if only I could finally get my hands on a Crimson Key Mold for Vampire Knives...not that they're that good (since they do like 5 damage to even Slimes once they begin spinning). And rangers...they're still screwed for single player mode. No self-healing, very few good crowd control weapons (Candy Corn Rifle and Stake Launcher are about it), mediocre defense and keeping still to get the most out of Shroomite gets you KILLED.

EDIT2: Here's a picture of full Beetle Armor (defensive set):

Spoiler

Edited by RedmageAdam, 14 February 2014 - 12:35 PM.

#5 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

I've been playing Ranged/Melee since 1.2 came out, and I have to disagree with you about ranged. While the lack of self-healing sucks, I completely disagree about the lack of crowd control weapons. Stynger, Explosive Bullets, Rockets, and the ones you listed are all viable. Rapid chaingun with explosive rounds is pretty hilarious actually.

Looking at the beetle setup, the defensive one looks really good. +15% defence for every few seconds you go without getting hit up to 45%. That's...amazing really. I'm currently messing around with the offensive one which seems to make Paladin Hammer (Probably my favorite melee weapon) even better. Horseman's Blade is also a silly silly weapon with it.

#6 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

• Members

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

The only problem is from my experience, Meteor Shots and Explosive Bullets are bugged. They don't pierce enemies properly, unless that's only the Clockwork Assault Rifle. I don't know if it's because I was using Hallowed melee at the start of 1.2 and going strictly melee, but I remember against the Hardmode dungeon mobs, I barely did anything to the new enemies with an Unreal Megashark. Explosive Bullets were around 1-15 damage a shot (27 + 10 = 37) and went through the enemies half the time. I mean maybe I'm bashing Ranged too much, but it just seems to lack compared to the other two styles. Repeaters are overshadowed in general by the Megashark and especially the Chain Gun, although the latter is impractical without Chlorophyte Bullets due to its wide spread.

#7 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

"

• Buckets are now stackable.

"

...YEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!

But ya, THIS IS AWESOME!!!

#8 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

• Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:08 AM

I have an update. The Beetle offensive set is buggy. I don't know what activates it. It seems like doing melee damage, but it activates randomly and disappears before long. I don't get it myself. The Vampire Knives still heal only around 3-6 HP per hit for me (only working off 47 damage with a Godly set), but with Beetle's very high defense and using Ichor Flasks to let them do more damage, they work wonders. I am pretty much done farming Golem for now. Also got a Wandering Merchant and bought a few Celestial Magnets (mostly for accessory comboing), an item that increases tile placement and a Pulse Bow, which is really neat.

===About the Pulse Bow===

The arrows ricochet off walls a few times and even Wooden Arrows can pierce enemies. It seems each rebound though lowers the damage a bit, but still, using melee gear and having the Powerful modifier I got from buying it, it's like 80ish damage from the bow alone. I think I'm going to get some Venom Arrows, attempt to reforge to Demonic, Godly or Unreal and put on my Arrow Shroomite set and appropriate accessories to see its true potential. It seems like a very good weapon. Will get back to you guys on that tomorrow.

#9 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

Actually endgame mages we're buffed. If you can manage to get your hands on the Celestial Magnet from the travelling merchant you can Tinker it at the Worshop into Celestial Cuffs and the Celestial Emblem. Yup we have Endgame Mage Accessories now. Also the super mana potions totally debunk the complaints about the mana sickness. Since they restore so much mana. The mask is also quite useful. The difference is that

As for endgame ranger. 60% chance of not consuming ammo with Ammo Box, Chlorophyte Headgear, and Shroomite Breast Plate. Megashark and Chaingun have a 50% change of not consuming ammo. So yeah it'ss fully possible to slay the Dungeon Guardian with one bullet and a Rapid Chaingun now.

Beetle Armor was introduced  with this update though. So I theorize they will add Lunar themed Armor for mages with the next update. Perhaps even something for rangers too.

#10 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

• Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

Ammo saving is multiplicative, not additive. So with your setup of a 50% chance to save ammo gun and three 20% chances to save ammo from armor and accessory, you have a total of approximately a 75% chance to save ammo. Having played Terraria to death in 1.1.2 using the Megashark with Hallowed Ranged, I can confirm without a doubt those bonuses multiply, not add. I counted off about 500 bullets and had about 200 less than I started with (I saved around 60% of my bullets). But yeah, if they did add, it would be a game breaker because at a 110% chance to save ammo, you only need 1 shot. But sadly, that's not the case.

I mean I still think having both a 40% damage penalty AND 20% increased mana cost is stupid for Spectre's healing set. The damage set's bonus damage is just too weak to be useful. Kind of like Chlorophyte's stupid crystal. Sounds awesome on paper but in practice the crystal's damage is poor. Same with a lot of other accessories, like the Honeycomb. They're useless unless you're combining them with a Lucky Coin and spawning Mimic to 1 damage spam with a terrible modded Bee Gun, Vilethorn, Slime Staff, etc. Either way, I collected materials for Ichor Flasks since I'm going back to a melee setup.

Also I noticed the Poison Staff got hurt badly in the update, getting both weaker and much more expensive. I'm almost debating if I want to waste 14 Chlorophyte Bars to upgrade to a Venom Staff. I mean I have more money than I know what to do with, and I'm not above Alt + F4 save scumming if I blow 10 Platinum for nothing. I may give ranged a try again with the Pulse Bow. I bought another weapon just for the sake of having it. It's kind of a poor man's Megashark with the same god-awful aim as the Chain Gun, just fires slower. Chlorophyte Bullets are probably a must with it. Then again, with their nerf, I'm pretty much using Ichor Bullets if I do use guns at all anymore.

They never should have made PM/FM so difficult they're near impossible without that caliber of broken healing just to survive. And in the case of FM, even the broken Spectre wasn't enough to keep you alive. You can't wall yourself off from any of the monsters, scumming with the Nurse probably only works once until she's 3-4 hit KO'ed, and remember, you have to make it 45s until your Potion Sickness expires if you get down to using potions. Saving hearts up from the bosses only gets you so far as well.

#11 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

Nope it's additive, I just confirmed it.

The healing bonus doesn't matter you say? I truly disagree. The 40% damage decrease was needed. THey thought about putting it at 20% but even then Cenx could tank her way through the Frost Moon. That's how bad it was.

edit: Also got my hands on the Pulse Bow. It's way better then any god. I've got 61% critical strike chance and over 200 damage with chlorophyte arrows. So yeah. So damn powerful. Now I bet you all wished you crafted Chlorophyte Headgear. :tard:

Edited by Zecora, 15 February 2014 - 10:50 PM.

#12 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

• Members

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

Nope it's additive, I just confirmed it.

The healing bonus doesn't matter you say? I truly disagree. The 40% damage decrease was needed. THey thought about putting it at 20% but even then Cenx could tank her way through the Frost Moon. That's how bad it was.

Still, FM mobs have insane defense. That 40% damage penalty REALLY hurts how much damage you do and in turn, your healing rate, although I did notice it's like 15-20% of damage now. Still, they should never have made FM so hard that without Spectre, you would get killed multiple times, especially once Ice Queen makes her entrance. They do way too much damage for a mage to tank. By the way, is healing still capped at two hearts worth of HP per second? Either way, I don't like how just to survive, you have to give up a ton of DPS, hence making it to later stages will require perfect heart saving or borderline hacker level dodging skills.

Also, I really would like to see proof of the ammo saving being additive. I don't want to sound like a troll or anything, but unless I'd see it first hand, I'm not a believer. What are the items I need again? Chlorophyte Helm, Shroomite Plate/Legs and an Ammo Box? With any "50% chance to not consume ammo" firearm? I have to test it to believe it, provided I can get the Ammo Box.

#13 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

1.2.4 is almost finished. By "almost" I mean it's in the testing phase.

With it apparently comes new mechanics, (Yes, more than one.) new potions, and it still isn't the "Lunar" update, I think. I've heard mixed rumors from yes to no on that one actually.

Also, a lot of mods, specifically tAPI, are waiting for 1.2.4 to be released so it won't have to keep updating itself for each new version.

#14 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

Four days later...

Minecarts!

Looks like a few new graphics too.

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

brb remaking Great Cave Offensive in Terraria

• SpacemanDan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users