Photo

Screenshot of the Week 333 ~ Antarctica

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (57 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 HollowKnight

HollowKnight

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:17 PM

Thanks Jared. Since entering, I had the same thought and messed around with it a bit and it came out looking a little better. Great minds think alike icon_razz.gif

#17 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:24 PM

Haha, that's great! icon_smile.gif And yes, they do icon_biggrin.gif
I assume is this turning into a quest? Hopefully?? Possibly?!! icon_razz.gif

Edited by Jared, 15 August 2011 - 07:24 PM.

#18 HollowKnight

HollowKnight

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE(Jared @ Aug 15 2011, 08:24 PM) View Post

Haha, that's great! icon_smile.gif And yes, they do icon_biggrin.gif
I assume is this turning into a quest? Hopefully?? Possibly?!! icon_razz.gif

Hopefully in the future. I am currently working on a GB quest at a snail's pace, but once I get my inspiration back up and some experience under my belt I'm sure I'll be able to power through it and this will be next on my list.

I feel the need to comment on Chris's shot. The walls and shape are done well, but the ground is very plain! Depending on what the dungeon is, you could add some scattered bones, a collection of pots perhaps, and some obstacles on the floor to make it less just holding one direction. You could maybe have some pots you need to slash to get through, some traps moving back and forth, a push block, anything. Also, just noticed the water. You could make it into a pit so the color doesn't stand out so much and you could a couple in a row to break up the monotony of the floor. With some creativity and a little bit of extra detail this could be solid dungeon screen that does its job and looks good while maintaining the simplicity and nostalgic feel.

#19 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:41 PM

Dangit, I forgot there were two polls this week. icon_confused.gif Well, I already voted earlier; I just forgot to post my comments. Here they are!...

Lightwulf:

Hmmm... that haunted house looks... incomplete. Like it's just got the outline and you still need to shade it. If that were the case, though, it'd look good, but still not complete.

blackbishop:

This isn't a screenshot so much as a script demo. And all I can say is... sheesh, that like it went really far overboard. If there's no safe spot on the screen at all, then there's no way to win the fight with skill.

linktopower:

Solid GBC screen; nice use of space to fit a lot on without feeling cramped. icon_smile.gif The only exception I'd say would be on the right side of the screen. Fighting a Lynel that close to the edge of the screen would be a little awkward and annoying. But good job making it all look interesting!

Chris Miller:

Ah, custom walls? They look pretty good, but you're missing a few things...
- The corners should have diagonal lines to denote that they are actually corners,
- Doors should have sort of skewed perspective (the foot of the door should be narrower than the top), and
- Given the sizes of the walls, you might want to consider moving the torches up half a tile.

The layout of the screen looks perfect great, though. No enemies, but there colored pegs suggest something of importance going on here.

HollowKnight:

Ahh, a very Pure/DoRish solid screen. The only downside is that the sand is a little cluttered with all those cobbles, bushes, boulders, shells, and grass clumps. Seriously, you dont need all that stuff for a simple area filled with mostly walkable ground. It makes it hard to see what is walkable and what isn't.

But really, it's a good screen overall. In fact, I'm voting for it. icon_smile.gif

Rambly:

Well, I've sorta seen this type of screen many times. Pure graphics, clearing amidst brush, dappled canopy shadows covering the whole screen, and some Moblins. To your credit it, you did it fairly well. The only thing I wonder about is that patch of walkable area in the upper-left.

All-in-all, a decent screen all around.

Lithium:

Eh, whatever.

#20 HollowKnight

HollowKnight

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for the comment Radien. I think my biggest flaw is my tendency to cover the screen in unnecessary crap icon_razz.gif In my next screens I'll work on freeing up the clutter.

#21 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:50 PM

I plan on rebirthing the screen eventually. And releasing that one as an official screenshot of the week. But I need to talk to someone about graphics first.

@Radien Actually I beat the thing with that stats and 4 bombs and a blue potion its all about timing. And I beat it on my first try, it's beatable just not on that take when I stripped link down to the blue ring and white sword for the shot. As we all know though manhandlas hate bombs more then dodongos do. It's a cheap way to kill them but it's the safest.

Edited by blackbishop89, 15 August 2011 - 08:54 PM.

#22 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

Er... well, I'll be honest and say I only really submitted when I heard this was going to have to be a double SotW thread from Ebola. icon_heh.gif That's why the screen is just... okay and not anything phenomenal (I just pulled the best looking screen I could find from a random quest project I made 2 years ago--lazy, yeah, but I was pressed for time). I kinda like it, though--I haven't seen people use the original Pure Tileset in a serious way in years, which is partly why I made it. I think if I were gonna submit anything from that quest as a contest entry, it'd have probably worked better as a map than a single screen.

Anyways, thanks for the comments. They really are appreciated, even if this wasn't a 100% serious entry. And just so no one gets this impression from this post: I didn't submit it to deceive or annoy anyone! Except Ebola. icon_slycool.gif

Oh, uh... I like HollowKnight's screen the best this thread.

#23 Zim Elite

Zim Elite

ban evader

• Banned

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:30 PM

Fire! FIRE!! My vote goes to blackbishop for amazing FIRE!

#24 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:39 PM

Lightwulf - B-
The building itself is clearly the main focus here, although the outside environment should help support it, which I feel isn't the case here, as they don't seem to fit together all that well. The building tile details themselves are a bit hard on the eyes, as it just barely escapes the sense of not looking flat. Perhaps it's mainly the first floor walls that do that. The perspective feels a bit weird to me when comparing the floors with the wall. Good effort, though.

blackbishop89 - D+
I'm not seeing what the big deal is here. Sure scripts and custom bosses are neat, but I feel that the screen is completely lacking in all other elements. In SotW, screen design is important too, and I feel that was completely put on the back burner here, which is something to consider even for classic.

linktopower - B
A very meaningful screen, and certainly well planned out. Walkable ground could probably have a bit more variety to it, and the screen isn't the easiest on the eyes, but it certainly depicts an arid environment well, minus the bushes.

Chris Miller - B
Looks like it is decently planned out. Looks kind of fun to go through, clearly more than once. I absolutely love those walls, and the small amounts of sharper colors to go with it. The walkable floor lacks variety, but the two types sure help differentiate the two levels of it. The screen does make me curious about what the adjacent screens look like.

HollowKnight - A-
A very appealing and creative screen. I love how the entrance just fits itself between those cliffs. The grey rain was an excellent choice, plus the shadowing effect to give a hint of the trees you don't even see to the north. I love the choice of these very earthly colors.

Rambly - B+
It looks good. You're not around very often, so it's not often that I get to see what you do, but I certainly like what I see here.

Lithium - B-
The effort is certainly here, and it looks good for a classic screen, but I think more can be done to make the screen more appealing. I'm not sure what exactly, but no doubt there are probably many choices in that matter.

Vote goes to HollowKnight. Easy decision for me this time.

#25 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:05 PM

Lightwulf - 5 votes = [9.80%]
blackbishop89 - 2 votes = [3.92%]
linktopower - 6 votes = [11.76%]
Chris Miller - 3 votes = [5.88%]
HollowKnight - 27 votes = [52.94%]
Rambly - 4 votes = [7.84%]
Lithium - 4 votes = [7.84%]
Total Votes: 51

HollowKnight
IPB Image
The rocky sea thunders in the storm as Link approaches the ominous, looming temple.

Congratulations HollowKnight!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users