Old Laptop data

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

Hey there, after at least 7 years my laptop-battery died and since my laptp is giving me problems for some time already and I am thinking about getting a new one. Now I am wondering if there are some files I should save I am not aware of (stuff that is not in the libraries). Also, I would like to copy my Firefox-favorites but don't know where they are saved.

Also, do you have tips what to look for/avoid while choosing a new laptop?

#2 CDi-Fails

CDi-Fails

Initiate

• Members

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

Just take out the entire hard drive if you can and put it in an external case w/ a USB connector.

#3 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 08 July 2017 - 03:48 PM

Just take out the entire hard drive if you can and put it in an external case w/ a USB connector.

This could work, but you'll have to mess around with it a bit more than that. If this is the only physical HDD (which I'm assuming it is cause this is a laptop) then it will also have the OS on it. If Naru's files are stored in the default Windows libraries, he'll likely need to do a bit of extra stuff to get to those, cause, as far as I know, you can't just plop a HDD in a computer that already has a windows installation and see all the files. It's like a security thing so someone can't just steal your hard drive-> files as easily. Admittedly, I don't really know what to do from there, but it is possible.

EDIT: As for a more immediate solution, you could:

A) Upload your important files to Dropbox, Google Drive, or a similar storage service.

B) If possible, purchase an external Hard Drive to copy or back up your stuff. 

C) Replace the laptop's battery, if possible.

Backing up Firefox Bookmarks | A Good Site for Seeing What you have/ Need/ Want

#4 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:13 PM

Thank you, though I barely understand a word. It is not I have much important stuff on my laptop, the two only really important things are my ZC-stuff (no, I don't have even done anything to show off yet, but I doubt I would get back to it if I would loose the little things I did so far) and of course the files for college. With that I am pretty much through with my libraries.

What I wonder though is if there might be interesting stuff elsewhere. I don't understand much about computers. Honestly, I don't. And like I said, the favourites. It wouldn't hurt me to loose them and I couldn't find them anywhere so far, but it would be nice to keep them.

#5 Rainst0rm4759

Rainst0rm4759

Hollow

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:13 PM

As for Firefox, if you make an account, you should be able to Sync Firefox between multiple computers through the browser itself. Sync will save your bookmarks, add-ons, preferences, etc. and will let you see what tabs you have open on other devices.

Sync stuff is located at tools --> options --> sync.

#6 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:13 PM

It sounds like you don't have a ton of files then. If your ZC, and college stuff is a relatively small total file-size (less then 16GB) you could probably just purchase a USB stick for cheap (Under, or around $20) or and SD card if your computer supports it.

As far as Firefox goes, you basically just go into your bookmarks, and export them as outlined in the WikiHow I linked above. An .html file is just a web page. This file can be imported back into a clean Firefox (or any Browser) and you'll have all of your bookmarks.

#7 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:17 AM

Ohh, I kinda overlooked the links, must have thought they are part of your signature.

#8 Skipper

Skipper

Magus

• Members

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

This could work, but you'll have to mess around with it a bit more than that. If this is the only physical HDD (which I'm assuming it is cause this is a laptop) then it will also have the OS on it. If Naru's files are stored in the default Windows libraries, he'll likely need to do a bit of extra stuff to get to those, cause, as far as I know, you can't just plop a HDD in a computer that already has a windows installation and see all the files. It's like a security thing so someone can't just steal your hard drive-> files as easily. Admittedly, I don't really know what to do from there, but it is possible.

EDIT: As for a more immediate solution, you could:

A) Upload your important files to Dropbox, Google Drive, or a similar storage service.

B) If possible, purchase an external Hard Drive to copy or back up your stuff. 

C) Replace the laptop's battery, if possible.

Backing up Firefox Bookmarks | A Good Site for Seeing What you have/ Need/ Want

Honestly, it really is just that easy. I've hooked up my old hard drives to SATA-to-USB devices several times, and each time I've had full access to all of the hard drive's files - it usually asks for administrator privileges if you try to access the user account folder, but otherwise, it doesn't require a password or anything and everything is laid out bare for you. Files and folders in libraries, pictures, videos, you name it.

Windows security is a joke. Unless the hard drive is encrypted, you literally have full access to all of its files if you throw it into an external hard drive enclosure.

• Anthus likes this

#9 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

I didn't know it was that simple. Honestly, I only ever did it once, and that was with a laptop hard drive from my friend's computer. I didn't have a SATA/ USB thing, so I connected it internally. That required me to tell the BIOS not to try to boot from it, but yeah. The USB/ SATA seems to be the way to go.

#10 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:01 PM

I didn't know it was that simple. Honestly, I only ever did it once, and that was with a laptop hard drive from my friend's computer. I didn't have a SATA/ USB thing, so I connected it internally. That required me to tell the BIOS not to try to boot from it, but yeah. The USB/ SATA seems to be the way to go.

I've had to do that 2x for my mom's computer when it died.  I swear by them.

#11 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:47 PM

Might you have a link to how it is done? Also, how do you open up your laptop, just removing the screws and using some pressure wasn't enough for me.

I also accidentally pulled out (broke) the "A"-key. Now I have to press that little rubber nipple all the time, it drives me crazy :aggravated: :badrazz:

#12 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:46 AM

Might you have a link to how it is done? Also, how do you open up your laptop, just removing the screws and using some pressure wasn't enough for me.

I also accidentally pulled out (broke) the "A"-key. Now I have to press that little rubber nipple all the time, it drives me crazy :aggravated: :badrazz:

That depends on the model. You want to search for a video on disassembly details for the exact brand and model of laptop that you own. On most of mine, there is a HDD sled that simply slides out of the side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users