SotW Announcements & Post Contest Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1613 replies to this topic

#1321 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:44 PM

Shoshson, let's take turns making alt accounts, and make this turn out 100+ screens!

• Jared likes this

#1322 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:15 PM

I may be able to pitch in on this little scheme  :tard:

• Anthus likes this

#1323 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:40 PM

Shoshson, let's take turns making alt accounts, and make this turn out 100+ screens!

Just don't tell Neptune.

#1324 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:11 PM

Just don't tell Neptune.

:eyeitus: Hey now, I see you over there plotting!! :glare:

But anyhow, there are zero entries for 659. 3 are needed by Sunday evening. Thank yoooou.

#1325 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:49 PM

Submitted one now

• Cukeman likes this

#1326 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:37 AM

And now there's at least 2.
  • Deedee likes this

#1327 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:55 AM

Submitted too. The reason i submit less these days is because for one, I don't find much fun in making mock-ups anymore, and second i don't want to reveal too much about my projects. Anyway, goodluck guys.

• Jared and Deedee like this

#1328 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 28 April 2018 - 01:00 PM

I'll submit a classic shot. Haven't been submitting much because I'd preferably want to submit HF shots, and I haven't made too many SotW-worthy ones :(

#1329 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:34 AM

Entered next week's a bit ahead of time, but it's one of the shots I liked best from an optional area I've been constructing.

Looking forward to the contest as always.

#1330 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:29 AM

Put my one in as well because I already had it lying around.

• EnnonFenom and Cukeman like this

#1331 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

Why, must I clean out Old Lady Simmon's Cave?

• Banned

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:01 PM

:whistle: :evil: I did too!  :superevil:    :twisted: 

#1332 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:28 PM

Eh, I'll put mine in in a bit.

#1333 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:54 PM

Eh, I'll put mine in in a bit.

:^)

The joke is, you probably submitted the screen directly under mine. :lol:

Bonus points if they are posted like that too.

#1334 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

Why, must I clean out Old Lady Simmon's Cave?

• Banned

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:54 AM

lol they think I cheated, so I had to provided the qst lol...........

Like I would moch a screen up! it would have been good then! and way above 256 colours, for sure.

Editing in an Amendment, to rosle an issue, that I feel need's adressing.

for these reason. SotW is a contest, and if I understand what chris you are saying. I have to not be myself.

And can not do as everyone else. And judge a screen on how it is put together?

And is using a tile wrong, or very awkwardly, so much as to throw off "the" perspective something to be insence judged as in a scale of ok they tried, or that's just odd, or lazy ect.   Some time's it works and mostly does not, It takes some one trying to adjust the tile to make it work. Which fall's into the giving advise column. Which I have offered shoson whith the jar's. That need to be shaded for the same angle as the wall/ that is not hard, and helps alot.

But when I am told this is not a compation persay, I can't help but think of the the description for SotW:

About the event
Screenshot of the Week is a weekly contest where members face off in a Zelda Classic screen-design competition. The contestant who receives the most

so if we take that in mind I have only judge on how well a screen is designed. And that included all aspects of design. We all know them and I am not say that anyone one is retarded or incapible. What ever emotion you read into me word's are purely your own.

I will now answer a few thing asked below.

I know you said it was the last reply you'd made, but you appear to have ignored my reply and the fact that in Zelda 1, every single dungeon screen has the same perspective issues as my screen. every wall looks like it's being looked at from in front. This is an issue in the official games.

Have a look at this from LoZaLttP: https://zelda.gamepe...gcannonball.png

It has the same issue, even more obvious here.

True, here, it is a little better, but the point still stands.

Also, this from LoZtMC.

I am sorry, I thought I pretty much made it included into my statements, but reviewing them I most have skimmed over that.

But, this is the main trouble area nintendo had. Mainly due to the fact they did not want to, or thought it looked good, or could'nt. That I do not know. But Do know it was a challenge for them. I personally believe they did not want to go the way, of final fantasy. Because we all should remeber there dungeons and caves, interiors? This, should also adress the statement shane made about all 2d games have a zelda style perspective in those type maps.

@EnnonFenom, that's a nice screen and this time it doesn't hurt my eyes, especially the colors are a lot better. It's really interesting and I want to see more.

Regarding your issues with perspective, your points are correct but everyone knows already and doesn't really care. It's simply how these tilesets work. I mean I get your point, I also have a lot of issues with perspective in quests.

For example with klop422 (for whom I voted, great screen), your dislike of it is just a personal thing, but your critique sounds a bit like "you must be retarded if you don't see how wrong the perspective is.". It has a very negative vibe and somewhat forces your opinion on other's and that's unneeded. And I think Shane is just standing up for his buddies, he doesn't say anything negative at all.

Like I personally don't like Shoshon's prometheus tileset very much, but that's just my personal view, in general (objectively) I can say that it is unique, outstanding, unusual and many people will really enjoy his quest.

ok see, other people also make harsh or rude statements, which was not my attention. if it did come off that way.

"hurt my eyes"   or one from the first grass, "make my eye's bleed"

So as for coming off anyway but in the spirit of competetion, I am not alone.

well what can I say but, voted for the best put together screen. Setting aside the fact of perspectives......

Avataro     I real don't like those grid looking things. Other then that standard gb screen.

Klop422    your's is the biggest offender of perspective.. you should lay those pillers on the left wall, a few tiles back. Because they look like they are laying down but in/on the wall? I feel as if I am looking at all 3 different angle: top down, top back, and sidescroll.

I do see you have a creative side but, the persective.

Shoshon the elegant     Yours is the least with perspective issue's. And I feel you have improved alot with you screen design. 

Jared     If your going to use those dungeon wall's might I suggest vertical flip on the bottom to pillars? so they go with the flow of the walls? And maybe stand link sideways. He looks to be pastout drunk in the door way.   And are your candles back there floating?

Well any how this week, I voted Shoshon, because I like his screen better then the rest. And I feel he is trying to improve his style.

Chris, on 01 May 2018 - 02:36 AM, said:snapback.png

your dislike of it is just a personal thing, but your critique sounds a bit like "you must be retarded if you don't see how wrong the perspective is.". It has a very negative vibe and somewhat forces your opinion on other's and that's unneeded. And I think Shane is just standing up for his buddies, he doesn't say anything negative at all.

Like I personally don't like Shoshon's prometheus tileset very much, but that's just my personal view, in general (objectively) I can say that it is unique, outstanding, unusual and many people will really enjoy his quest.

You all do understand it is a contest? And when deciding what is best of the screens. You have to have thing to give or take away points toward giving a vote.

So if people are not mature enough to understand what it is to compete, then they should judge any one else words!

and as for reading into my words anything beyond that, well that is on whom read's it.

And which brings me to my next point. It's seem's like this is more a tile show off page for buddies.

Man when did PureZc turn into AG?

Oh and as for the torches, yes there is also that one screen and a small number of other screens with small oddities.

Notice you will be hardpressed to find tomany more off those examples. Nintendo actually tried to keep most things away from the bottom screen, unless flat or curved down. As to try and achieve a simualar perspective with keeping the flow in mind.

Edited by EnnonFenom, 05 May 2018 - 10:40 AM.

#1335 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 05 May 2018 - 01:33 PM

what the fuck

also, wasn't planning on submitting that screen Anthus; I was really planning on submitting something from HF. I think I will submit that now though, because it's still relevant and I'm proud of how it turned out.

• Anthus, EnnonFenom, Shane and 1 other like this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users