Need help with ideas for what to replace the default ZC enemies with

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 18 November 2018 - 10:34 PM

Attention all ZC Users! (sorry) I am trying to make a new open-source tileset, but I need help with ideas on what to replace the built-in ZC enemies with. I have made a Google Doc where you can post and sign suggestions and I will look at them and possibly implement them. These can use New Enemy Tiles, and for "Itself" replacements I will be happy to accept original ideas because it will be a lot easier to pass ZC off as open-source if you don't, say, have a dragon that acts exactly as a gleeok but instead have something else that acts like a gleeok.
Here is the link. It is free to edit by anyone, so you can add your contributions without asking or needing permission. If someone hits upon an inspired idea, I'll be sure to give credit! Just please don't troll it, okay?

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Edited by P-Tux7, 24 May 2019 - 10:29 PM.

• Shane and Matthew like this

#2 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 19 November 2018 - 07:59 AM

a lot of things could be easy. take the classic monsters and beasts. is a moblin a goblin?. and other classic game creatures one finds that are not really part of folklore.

i really feel like dropping ideas of the most obscure things. but would need to research.  and then there is the idea of "should it be something to kill?"

and what do you mean "no trolling"? like don't say "don't ask to replace moldorm with poop" or "no, zols don't need to be sexy slime girls, no, zoras don't need to be butts that come out of the water.

Edited by LikeLike on fire, 19 November 2018 - 02:49 PM.

#3 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 19 November 2018 - 10:28 AM

I agree, many could just be generic RPG enemies, and others (like boulders) could literally just be resprites, since there's no way Nintendo has a trademark on 'big rock' or 'fake floor' or whatever.

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 20 November 2018 - 02:06 AM

Look at the names that I gave to enemies in the Default Module.

#5 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 20 November 2018 - 02:58 AM

Thanks to everyone who has edited the document! I really like a lot of these suggestions.

Look at the names that I gave to enemies in the Default Module.

I like the module format and all, but unless these class names are subject to change then a lot of them are too on-the-nose. In what game besides Zelda will you fight a giant "Urchin" boss, have an "Arachnid" who needs to be shot in the eye, or a "Flying Plant" that can only be hurt when it lands? The idea of the copyright-free module is to make at least the graphics and characters not owe anything more to Zelda than The Guardian Legend, Neutopia, or Ys did. Having to make enemies that correspond to all the Zelda 1 behaviors will make it hard to not be on-the-nose, but that's why I'm doing this thread.

#6 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:04 AM

Thanks to everyone who has edited the document! I really like a lot of these suggestions.

I like the module format and all, but unless these class names are subject to change then a lot of them are too on-the-nose. In what game besides Zelda will you fight a giant "Urchin" boss, have an "Arachnid" who needs to be shot in the eye, or a "Flying Plant" that can only be hurt when it lands? The idea of the copyright-free module is to make at least the graphics and characters not owe anything more to Zelda than The Guardian Legend, Neutopia, or Ys did. Having to make enemies that correspond to all the Zelda 1 behaviors will make it hard to not be on-the-nose, but that's why I'm doing this thread.

yeah. it is the "to what point is it unique"

the types of enemies and their behavior.  you can have as many walking enemies as you want. you can make a walking turd that shoots a volly of fireballs and eats your money.  but other enemes and behavior are a more unique situation.

or do some more reserch in things for the real deal with goma and such. and why digdoggers are urchins with babies.

#7 leastamongmen

leastamongmen

Content Ninja

• Members

Posted 24 November 2018 - 04:11 PM

I'm developing several of these types of enemies myself, but I'm using an expanded color set. It is super tough to use LOZ behaviors, yet make the enemy original. I may be able to recolor a few and send you some stuff to try, but I'm pathetically new here, so I don't know any standards for sharing; I can't even post my own custom quest yet...

#8 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:46 PM

I'm developing several of these types of enemies myself, but I'm using an expanded color set. It is super tough to use LOZ behaviors, yet make the enemy original. I may be able to recolor a few and send you some stuff to try, but I'm pathetically new here, so I don't know any standards for sharing; I can't even post my own custom quest yet...

Thanks, that's a great idea!

• Matthew likes this

#9 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:25 PM

Oops, could someone please move this to Quest Design Help since that subforum is for quest ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users