Photo

What's your opinion on multiple Quest projects?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:16 AM

What do you guys think about working on more than one Quest at a time? Is it good or bad?

My deal is that I'm in a hurry to make a Quest in the newest Game Boy tileset that Akkubus released, but at the same time I want to finish Molka Elite. I guess I could always work on two at once, but I wanted to know first if doing that was considered strange or un-cool by the general ZC populus. I'm guessing not, but still I'm just gonna make sure, mainly because I'm curious...

Here's hoping this will spark up another cool conversation. icon_smile.gif --Schwa

#2 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:33 AM

I naturally dislike when somebody has more than one projects, but if one is main and other is just helping out; or one is a wonderquest and other is a wondertileset, then it's okay... Just try not to get full of different projects...

Every time I was making a little miniquest, I almost completely halted my main project. Really, dividing your time between quests... fewer time you can work on each, or postponing of another... I don't like it...

#3 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:56 PM

I think two projects at once are alright. But I don't think its for everyone. This is just an opinion but I think if your doing two quests you have to be more creative than your average quest maker(or even above average one for that matter) because your trying to come up with creative ideas for your quest but now you have two of them you have to think of creative material for.
You don't want them to seem too similar so you have to think of unique ideas for each one. Of course even if you made the second one later you wouldn't want it to be the same but if you do them at the same time you might feel that you have less time to think up ideas or you might get the quest maker's equivalent of writer's block.
I don't think its wierd or anything myself I just think you have to decide if you can handle it or not.

It is probably a good idea if your doing two though to make one your main project and the other quest just something to do on the side. In fact it could be a good thing because you could test concepts for you main project in your other quest. Then even if you don't think it would work in your main quest it could be a good idea for your other one.

Edited by KHRiku, 21 April 2008 - 12:58 PM.

#4 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:51 PM

I would not recommend working on more than one at a time, but if you honestly have to -- due to anxiety -- limit it to two. Quests these days take even longer than they did years before, so getting something done is a lot tougher.

#5 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:58 PM

I personally find it hard to work actively on more than one thing at a time, and share my time around equally.

I'm like that with everything, not just ZC.

I do have more than one project at present, I'm helping with Lord Ike's quest project thingy, and I've got something going with Migokalle, but if I'm to work on them I'll have to do it in chunks between the three.

I also never actually closed off any of my old projects officially...
But meh =P
Most of them sucked =P

#6 octorok

octorok

Lord of the Octoroks

• Members

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:21 PM

I think you should stick to one project - two at the max. Because it's hard to keep up with both. I can't imagine doing like 3 or even 4 things at once - sheesh! icon_blink.gif

For instance right now I'm working on my Star Wars quest pretty much full time. In the meantime, I've been working on a Classic Minish Cap sequel. I only work on it though when I'm bored of Star Wars, or have a whole lot of time on my hands. I mainly just stick to Star Wars though. I'm passionate about my SW quest, and just piddle around with my Classic Minish Cap Sequel quest. It's okay to take on more than one - if you can handle it, but for goodness sakes stay focused on ONE at a time... icon_freak.gif

#7 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:41 PM

Oh, Schwa, there's really no problem in doing this, if that's what you want... Sure, if you have... let's see, 17, was it?
Well, if you have 17 projects going on at the same time... Then... well, I had once... and it sucks...
BUT
What I did, was merging all the ideas into one big mega idea.
Which is The Hylian Phoenix today.
I still have more than one projects in the works... I'm in the same shoe as Joe123 here.

#8 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

My opinion is that you really should only work on one, but if you really want to work on more than one thing at once, then I say go ahead. I think you should limit it to just 2 though. I remember a time when I was working on, like, 4 projects at once. 3 of them I never even revealed though, because I was getting nowhere with them. And that, was because it was just too many projects to work on at once.

#9 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:05 PM

I'm currently working on two projects. I put all my drive into BoE, but there are some days where I feel just "meh" about ZQuest and deign to work on my side project instead. So far, it's worked out nicely- after a day of working on Antiquity, I feel refreshed for BoE. It's a pretty good system, but you really have to focus on one and put the other on the bck burner for it to work.

#10 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Polm The Fathomless (Slime)

• Members

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:07 PM

I think if they are mini or small, and working on more than one at a time isn't bad.

Edited by Nameless, 21 April 2008 - 09:09 PM.

#11 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:01 AM

I think it is a bad idea. Because 90% of the time you will end up not finishing the first one. That is just how it works. You lose focus, or get other ideas, and then when going back to your old one, you are a better designer and see the flaws of your old quest. So you will move to another project because you want to redo your stuff. and if you do it too much. You will keep making something with a better idea every time and 5 years later, you will have nothing released. XD

#12 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:07 AM

Well, that's true...
Kinda.
But really, I can't work on one thing at a time. I need variety.
I guess not everyone have this abillity, but I sure do.

#13 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:35 AM

It's probably just best to work on one major quest at a time. If you get bored, and you want to do something else, you just fiddle around with a smaller "mini-quest", if you want to call it that. Otherwise you get bogged down with a truck-load of unfinished quests, which isn't a good thing.

#14 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:35 PM

I would say you're all right about 2 at a time being the absolute max.

Thanks for the advice. I have a pretty clear understanding now about the whole issue with multiple projects. I see myself working on a side-project in addition to my main one, it might actually be beneficial in many ways (like with Ebola, how I could take a break when my inspiration is gone then be refreshed after working on the side project for a while).

Ah well, we'll see what happens. Since Molka Elite crashed and I lost all that data, right now things are telling me I should work on just Molka Elite for now and try to repair what was lost. Once I'm rolling with that again, maybe I can think about picking up a project with the GB tileset like I wanted...

And yeah, 17 projects is just ridiculous. icon_wacky.gif Sadly I know some people that would consider it...

#15 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:18 PM

I would say do two. That way, when you get bored with one, you can just switch to the other until you get bored with that one, then go back to the first. It works perfectly. I myself have three going on, so one of them (my quest with LostInHyru1e) has been put on temporary hold aside from planning, so I would definitely say two is the max you can do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users