Photo

What's your favorite dungeon type?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: What type of dungeon do you prefer the most?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Types

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:17 AM

Watching Mark Brown's Boss Key series I've grown a better understanding of dungeon designs in the official Zelda titles. Interestingly enough in this episode he has pointed out there are three types of dungeons and some people seem to prefer one type of dungeon over the other. And while it's obvious some people might like more than one type or all the types of dungeons in the series what do you prefer the MOST?

If you don't want to watch the video and need a quick rundown, I got you covered:

Lock + Key: These dungeons are usually non-linear and present a lot of paths and options. There is an emphasis on unlocking things and this isn't limited to just keys and locked doors. Dungeon items can serve the same purpose as you use the item to unlock parts of the dungeon you couldn't access. Usually a good amount of backtracking. Most 2D Zelda dungeons use this style. 

Puzzle Box: These dungeons are usually the most complicated in the series. They present ways to manipulate the entire layout of the dungeon giving you new paths and blocking previous paths, it's almost like one giant puzzle. These dungeons have multiple states instead of having a definitive layout. 3D Zelda dungeons love to use this style but there have been some 2D examples (Jabu Jabu's Belly).

Gauntlet: These dungeons are usually linear and present a simplistic approach. There is a heavy focus on completing tasks rather than finding stuff meaning getting lost is usually a hard thing to do with these kinds of dungeons. These kinds of dungeons are very common in games like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

That doesn't mean each game only has one style of dungeons. Ocarina of Time for example has dungeons that fit all three categories. That said, my personal favorite is the lock and key dungeons. A nice combination of non-linearity and linearity, something not straight forward but not TOO easy to get lost in. Also the idea of backtracking with dungeon item seems more appealing the continuing a straight path to the boss with the item.

So! What is your favorite dungeon type?

• Anthus, Joelmacool, David and 1 other like this

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:46 AM

I've watched the Boss Keys videos, and they're great for what they are, but they have one glaring weakness: Whether a dungeon is linear or not tells you absolutely ZERO about how challenging the puzzles in each room are. Linear or not, I will always enjoy a dungeon with thoughtful, engaging puzzles in it whether I return to those rooms or not.

Anyway, I've always been intrigued by dungeons like the Eagle's Tower in Link's Awakening where you have to destroy roof supports to access new areas in the dungeon, or the Earth Temple in Wind Waker where you have to bring light from one room to another through a series of objects you can move and interact with. Or the idea of bringing ice down from the upper levels to freeze the lava in lower levels. Or using the time stones to manipulate the dungeon in the ancient past. Basically I like the idea of changing the layout of the dungeon itself to proceed. Except the giant spinners in the OoX games, those annoy me because it takes so long to go around, they're really just a way to artificially make the dungeon longer- and punish you for taking a wrong turn.

Edited by Cukeman, 17 August 2017 - 12:47 AM.

• Rambly and Naru like this

#3 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:48 AM

I totally agree with cukeman. I like all three types.

A badly made Lock+Key dungeon can easily result in a very linear experience, get key, open door, get key, open door and so on. And gauntlets aren't fun if the tasks are boring/overly simple, finish task, go on, finish task, go on, you get what I mean. And linear puzzle boxes are the worst, like with the giant spinners (though I don't actually dislike them), you know where to get next and the puzzle only steals your time without really adding anything.

In short I dislike boring linearity the most and that can be found in all three types. Of course that seems to be rather a problem with gauntlets than with puzzle box types, but the worst is linearity coulpled with non-linearity. I had that in some ZC-games, you have multiple paths, but because of keys for example you can only get further through one path. I prefer having a few more options and a design that doesn't mean intense backtracking if you found the door before the key. I especially hate it if the dungeons are oversized or if they work with warps and have a plain design, making it difficult to remember which path ends in the room you need to get next. That is also my main reason for not liking Lost Isle very much, the map looks great, but doesn't help, I spend most of my time simply with looking for the right path to advance, running in circles over and over again.

For a stand-alone dungeon I think I like the puzzle box type the most. For a whole set of dungeons I prefer the Lock + Key type, a mix of all three is the best, but multiple puzzle box dungeons are tiresome and mulriple gauntlets just boring.

#4 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:49 AM

The lock + key seem the best, even if i don't dislike 1 gauntlet and 1 puzzle box in a game whit 8-9 dungeons.

• Shane likes this

#5 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:19 AM

I think the thread has been slightly misunderstood. Of course any type of dungeon has the potential to be good or bad, the question was what KIND of dungeon do you prefer the MOST as in what kind of dungeon do you prefer seeing designed well out of the three the most. I like all three too but I picked my favorite preference which was the point of the thread, it's not implying the other types are inferior nor should they exist. Just saying.  :P

The lock + key seem the best, even if i don't dislike 1 gauntlet and 1 puzzle box in a game whit 8-9 dungeons.

Yeah, I feel the same way too. I don't mind gauntlets and puzzle boxes thrown into the mix. In fact, it adds variety and I think all the dungeons being lock + key would be fairly boring.

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#6 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:55 AM

I like a dungeon as long is entertaining and engaging. You can do that with those three dungeon types.

#7 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:14 AM

While puzzle boxes can make for some of my favorite dungeons, I have to go with lock and key. A puzzle box dungeon lives or dies by the strength of its gimmick. A boring or confusing gimmick can just as much harm the dungeon as it can help it. I also think puzzle boxes are usually so reliant on lock and key mechanics that I question them being classified as their own category. So yeah, the old reliable wins.

• Rambly and Naru like this

#8 Dark Linkael

Dark Linkael

Kasuto

• Members

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:43 AM

A mix of three styles, but with a preference for Lock + Key. I always preferred the style of the dungeons in the first Zelda, especially of ALTTP. It's simple, but always very effective.

If a dungeon is too focused on Puzzle Box, it can become very annoying, the case of Jabu Jabu in OOA, it is precisely a dungeon that I hate in the Zelda series. It is also not advisable to play it when you are a little tired. A few months ago, I replayed this dungeon and was quite tired. I went round in circles for a long time before noticing that I had forgotten something somewhere. In short, it is a very unpleasant version of the Water Temple of OOT, but nevertheless well conceived.

A dungeon with variety is the best and a good balance to make an attractive place, but it is not always easy to implement the three styles.

#9 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:54 AM

The type of dungeon is not an important factor for wether I like a dungeon or not.

That said, my favourite dungeon type is puzzle box. Dungeon wide gimmicks and changing layouts are fun to play. My favourite dungeon type to make are gauntlets. Keep in mind those can have some backtracking and thinking about where to go involved too.

• Shane likes this

#10 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:54 AM

Quite a tough choice actually, because I don't mind all three. If I had to pick one though, I'd probably have to go with the Lock + Key type of dungeon. I always found those to be the most fun for me, so I guess that was an obvious pick lol. I'm quite surprised TP had quite a lot of Gauntlet dungeons, honestly thought they would be in the Puzzle Box or Lock + Key categories, but then again I haven't played the game in a while so I probably don't remember much lol.

• Shane likes this

#11 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:39 AM

I love puzzle box dungeons. There's always something cool to me about trying not only to solve a load of puzzles but one big puzzle.
Of course if all dungeons were this it could get tiring, and if the gimmick makes no sense or is just convoluted, it could be really silly at best and just awful at worst (here's me with a minor puzzle box dungeon in my quest, and hoping it works :/).
  • Jared and Cukeman like this

#12 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:56 PM

If I had to pick my most favorite design from these three, I'd go with Lock and Key. However, I still think the vast majority of dungeons in the series use a combination of all of these to varying degrees. Take Snowhead from MM for example. The dungeon has a big central puzzle (the ice pillar) but it also effectively works as a lock and key type. You could even argue it's a gauntlet if you get lucky, and pick the right path every time and don't have to backtrack excessively (which is possible). The same can be said for Great Bay, and a lot of the dungeons in SS. I'd call Stone Tower a puzzle box, but it still has a lot of lock and key elements. TWW, TP, and Ocarina all have more direct lock and key designs, with OoT probably being the most consistent. Most dungeons in that game lacked a central puzzle, except for the Water Temple, and maybe the Forest Temple. The Shadow Temple is a gauntlet though, pretty much through and through.

A bit off topic, but, linear =/= bad. At least for me. As long as I'm having fun, it could be a straight line, and I wouldn't care. People don't whine about SMB3 being "too linear". ;P

• Jared and Cukeman like this

#13 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

Would Inside the Deku Tree be considered a "gauntlet"? It's mostly linear, and each room has a task, like pushing an underwater switch, breaking a web, releasing a ladder... are those are the kind of "tasks" you're talking about?

• Jared and Naru like this

#14 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:05 PM

Would Inside the Deku Tree be considered a "gauntlet"? It's mostly linear, and each room has a task, like pushing an underwater switch, breaking a web, releasing a ladder... are those are the kind of "tasks" you're talking about?

nice question, for me the Deku Tree is a gauntlet + few elements of puzzle box.

• Anthus likes this

#15 CDi-Fails

CDi-Fails

Initiate

• Members

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:17 PM

Puzzle box for sure. Something about manipulating some factor across the entire dungeon is just so darn cool. Really challenges your spatial awareness as you have to realize where you've been, what was there, and how it could have been affected by what you just changed. Also, "most favorite"-- c'mon Shane, redundancy.

• Anthus, Jared, Cukeman and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users