Metroid: Samus Returns

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#61 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:45 AM

Um... so I'm no fan of Amiibo, don't get me wrong, but for once, I'm gonna be the one asking "Are we maybe over-reacting a bit?" The art gallery is locked behind an Amiibo. Oh no, how dare those scoundrels at Nintendo! I'd rather see this beloved series die that have to play through a game without an art gallery.

I mean seriously. If they were locked big things behind them, that'd be one thing, but this a purely optional easter egg type deal that doesn't affect the game in the slightest. Let's not lose our heads here.

Keep in mind, it is a tricky situation from them. They have to give something to the people who actually bought Amiibos. At the same time, it can't be anything too huge or people who didn't get them will feel left out. So traditionally, it's been stuff like costumes or cosmetics. I think art gallery and sound test are worse choices in that they really don't feel all that special. If I'd actually gotten an Amiibo (something I'd never buy, discounting the one I got as a present from a certain someone special), and all I got was an art gallery, I'd feel a bit cheated.

In conclusion though, Nintendo C&D'd AM2R which is absolutely unforgivable so fuck them all and I hope they go out of business.

It's the principle, they are locking stuff that were FREE in other games behind paywalls. What's stopping them to locking even more bigger stuff behind amiibos in the future? It's an increasing slope that if we say nothing and nothing it will just keep rising and rising until we reach a point where we are paying for very basic stuff. 

What's even worse is that they think a sound test, gallery and difficulty seriously costs the same as a full game. Besides locking stuff that was free in the past, they are overpricing it to hell. 

It's because of this that season passes have increased in prices from 20 to 30 bucks into to 40 and 50 bucks. It's why we have microtransactions in AAA games. We say nothing and these big companies just keep pushing and pushing while we say nothing. It's like a frog in a boiling pot, if you put it in at very high temperature he will jump off, put it in at a low temperature and then slowly raise the temperature, it will eventually die because it doesn't realize the temperature is rising.

I honestly can't believe i have to actually defend this argument that we should complain about this. Are some people seriously thinking we should not complain about this? 

Edited by Norzan, 01 August 2017 - 06:52 AM.

#62 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

This is why I try not to take games as seriously as I did when I was younger. Stuff like this will inevitably piss me off, so I try to steel myself, and it does feel like it's unstoppable. Orithan has a good idea; buy the game, don't by the amiibos, but even if we all did that (what, all 20-30 of us active users) there are still hundreds of thousands of gamers who will, and who have. These amiibos are already sold out apparently. That translates to a good move in Nintendo's eyes. The damage is done, and accepting this is a common practice could either tank the industry/ company 1983 style, or become even more ubiquitous with gaming. Or it could silently die in a corner, but that probably isn't happening either.

And the e-reader? That actually did cross my mind when typing that. I thought it was a solid idea, but it was kind of cumbersome with the extra peripheral attached. I guess people like collecting figurines, but it is lost on me, and just means amassing more physical clutter to get stuff that should be in the game from the jump. On the bright side, Nintendo probably won't going away anytime soon with there new money-minded president. And don't get me wrong, I know this is not a charity, and I'm not saying all DLC should be free, but this is extreme. 60$ for simple features. That's more than the actual game. That's as much as a full price AAA game on a console for something already in the game, locked behind probably one block of code that checks for the NFC of said amiibo. Someone on gba temp will help us out.

That's pretty much all I got. I'm just hoping the game will be good.

#63 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:20 PM

To be honest, given that most of the content (music, concept art) will be available for free online once one person just uploads the soundtrack/concept art, I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Nintendo has been probably the last holdout for the predatory DLC pricing in the industry. Until they completely succumb to it like the rest, I don't really see any reason to get up in arms over what could happen given their track record of being good about it. It just seems needlessly melodramatic to me.

EDIT: Sega is pretty good about this too I think? idk. Either way, point stands.

• Espilan and Anthus like this

#64 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:04 PM

It's the principle, they are locking stuff that were FREE in other games behind paywalls. What's stopping them to locking even more bigger stuff behind amiibos in the future? It's an increasing slope that if we say nothing and nothing it will just keep rising and rising until we reach a point where we are paying for very basic stuff.

Ah, the good ole slippery slope fallacy. For that matter, you could have been arguing this from the very beginning. If you want to argue that a sound test becoming unlocked via amiibo will lead to this nightmarish outcome of having purchase the game piece by piece, you need to show evidence that it's actually going to happen. If anything, Nintendo's track record shows that they're very unlikely to do such a thing, based on how easy it would be for them to do so but how they've consistently refused.

The fact of the matter is that amiibos need something locked behind them, otherwise they're worthless and Nintendo wouldn't sell them. If you're going to rebel against the very concept of amiibos, then you're fighting a losing battle, cuz Nintendo's already raking in the money off them. Instead, I would focus your efforts on expressing outrage towards the locking of actually significant content behind them.

What's even worse is that they think a sound test, gallery and difficulty seriously costs the same as a full game. Besides locking stuff that was free in the past, they are overpricing it to hell.

You're looking at this as if the 15 dollars you pay towards an amiibo goes solely to unlocking the feature in the game. However, that's not the case; you're also getting a physical figurine. Perhaps it's not worth the price to you (it's not to me either so I totally understand), but to plenty of people it's a steal. If they were charging 15 bucks solely for each of the features (sound test, art gallery, etc) that would be one thing, but they're not, so don't try representing it like that's the case.

It's because of this that season passes have increased in prices from 20 to 30 bucks into to 40 and 50 bucks. It's why we have microtransactions in AAA games. We say nothing and these big companies just keep pushing and pushing while we say nothing. It's like a frog in a boiling pot, if you put it in at very high temperature he will jump off, put it in at a low temperature and then slowly raise the temperature, it will eventually die because it doesn't realize the temperature is rising.

Well, for starters, the frog in the boiling water is a myth. The experiment you're referencing was done using frogs who had had their brains removed; normal frogs jump out just fine. I mean, you could argue that's an apt comparison but- well, I digress. The situation here is different because you're not starting out an actually bad business practice, doing nothing, and letting them build off it. You're starting at a perfectly reasonable practice and going "Well it could be bad later, so let's oppose it!" This doesn't work for a lot of reasons

"Nintendo's getting DLC, having us pay a little bit of money to buy new characters that we vote on for a game that they're working on over a year after proper development wrapped up? It's a scam, they'll charge us to buy every new feature of the base game now!"
"I can't believe the Gamecube's making me buy a separate memory card instead of saving on the game cartridge! I bet if we support this, Nintendo's gonna make us buy a separate memory card for each game to rip us off!"
"Nintendo wants me to buy a link cable to trade Pokemon? I bet in the future, I'm gonna have to buy a periphery for every single gameplay feature! Those evil scam artists!"

I honestly can't believe i have to actually defend this argument that we should complain about this. Are some people seriously thinking we should not complain about this?

This is part of the ptobblem. Admittedly, the issue as a whole (rising DLC prices for games) is a big one, worth being invested in. But you're becoming so emotionally attached that you're unable to step back and examine the other side of the argument. That's dangerous. While there is the rare case where the other side is not worth considering (for example, Murder is wrong vs Murder is fun), this is most definitely not one of those cases, and if you're unable to approach this rationally, you won't be seen as someone arguing for why this is a bad move on Nintendo's part, you'll be seen as somewhere screaming angrily at a wall. I'd encourage you to try to set your outrage aside and put yourselves in Nintendo's shoes for a moment. You don't even have to agree with them. But understanding where they're coming from is the first step in a debate.
  • Espilan, Anthus, Orithan and 2 others like this

#65 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:17 AM

Ah, the good ole slippery slope fallacy. For that matter, you could have been arguing this from the very beginning. If you want to argue that a sound test becoming unlocked via amiibo will lead to this nightmarish outcome of having purchase the game piece by piece, you need to show evidence that it's actually going to happen. If anything, Nintendo's track record shows that they're very unlikely to do such a thing, based on how easy it would be for them to do so but how they've consistently refused.

Yes, Nintendo's track record with the previous president of Nintendo does indicate that they never would do such a thing. That president is dead and no longer has any influence over the company. If you look at everything that has happened since that event happened, you'll notice Nintendo is being steered in a new direction.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 02 August 2017 - 08:18 AM.

#66 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:27 PM

Do you think they're really calling it Metroid Prime 4? 'Cuz Metroid Prime is the antagonist in all three games and dies in the third. Not sure it makes sense to have that title without that creature, and not sure I want it to be resurrected either.

#67 Espilan

Espilan

Peahat.

• Members

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:26 PM

This isn't a general Metroid catch-all topic as it's for the official remake of the Gameboy game, but I'ma answer this anyway:

Do you think they're really calling it Metroid Prime 4? 'Cuz Metroid Prime is the antagonist in all three games and dies in the third. Not sure it makes sense to have that title without that creature, and not sure I want it to be resurrected either.

The brief E3 reveal for that particular game did call it Metroid Prime 4.

If the game involves Metroid Prime itself, then I'd guess that it'll be set somewhere between the other three games rather than after the third. If not, then maybe they're using the Metroid Prime title simply for the series' first-person games.

Edited by Espilan, 07 August 2017 - 10:27 PM.

#68 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:58 PM

New trailer, kinda, and a launch date (September 15th)!

#69 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

Launch date was known since E3. :blah:

• Anthus likes this

#70 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:21 PM

Whose bright idea was it to make it awful 3D models instead of glorious 2D sprites?

#71 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:41 AM

Whose bright idea was it to make it awful 3D models instead of glorious 2D sprites?

I think 2D would look better too, but the 3D models aren't too bad. I think it's actually easier to use 3D models then it is to draw sprites and animations for everything, plus, they might not be able to do the aim in any direction thing if it was 2D, but I dunno.

#72 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

It is easier to use 3D models, if you want to half ass the visuals.

• Anthus likes this

#73 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:41 PM

Well yeah, that's what I mean. Rigging isn't as time consuming as drawing a bunch of frames. It's lazy, which is ironic considering how big of a deal it was when 3D was new. :P

#74 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:34 PM

To be fair...

1: This is my personal opinion, but I don't think the models look too bad. The only issue is the resolution of the 3DS, and if you play the game on Citra (3DS emulator), you can crank up the internal resolution to improve that part. Should look fairly good that way.

2: Considering how recently AM2R was canned, they already have something that a lot of people are going to compare this to. At least, I know that I'm going to be playing both side-by-side to see the differences between how both parties treat the source material and what different creative liberties are used. Using 3D models is going to help separate itself from AM2R.

#75 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

Heh, remember when resolution was limited by the tech, not the screen?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users