• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#31 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:57 PM

[Contains 2D Metroid Spoilers]

Zero Mission is my favorite game in the series, sure Super and Fusion are great, but Samus' control is so responsive, fluid and tight in this game she's a joy to control. If you see the 3D games as a separate category of Metroid, I'd say Prime 2 is my favorite. IMO the difference between Prime 1 and 2 is purely aesthetic taste, which environment do you prefer? I realize some people were off-put by the light/dark mechanics, I was too initially, but they no longer bother me at all. I felt Prime 3 was a little weak and didn't care for the inclusion of voice acting. I did love the improvements of play control though, I really want to play through 1 and 2 with the Wii controls, so I can actually aim while moving. I am not a fan of lock-on targeting.

In terms of story Fusion is my favorite, it feels like a legitimate sci-fi thriller, I love the mystery of the computer identity, the origin and threat of the SA-X, the threat to Samus from the Federation, and most of all the idea that Samus is now part Metroid in order to save her life. The story of Super Metroid is lauded, mostly for the moment when the infant Metroid returns to save your life. Nothing against it, but it's also pretty simple, you saved it's life, it returns the favor. Story-wise I was a little let down by the whole idea that you're revisiting the same base from the original game, second Death Star anyone? It was cool that the Metroid imprinted Samus' as its mother in Metroid 2, but wouldn't it have been cooler if Samus kept it as a personal pet instead of giving it to the Federation? Still, I do really like that the Metroid DNA saved Samus in Fusion, that's awesome.

Prime 1 has a great backstory, but if you're not reading up on it, the present is pretty straightforward. Prime 2 is essentially the same story, except that there are living survivors, and I think the idea of two worlds in and out of phase with each other is quite cool and dramatic. Prime 3 tried to do religion vs. science, but I don't think that was explored in a way that was interesting, it was a pretty tired cliche if you ask me. I never played anything on the DS or after Corruption.

Edited by Cukeman, 02 July 2017 - 03:29 AM.

#32 KEM64

KEM64

Junior

• Members

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

It has now been revealed what the Amiibo do for this game:

Samus (Metroid Series): Gives you a Elon Reserve Tank. After beating the game, it also unlocks a Metroid II Art Gallery.

Metroid (Metroid Series): Metroid Marker, which pinpoints the location of the nearest Metroid. After beating the game, it unlocks FUSION Difficulty (Another difficulty mode that allows Samus to wear the Fusion suit).

Samus (Super Smash Bros. Series): Gives you a Missile Reserve Tank. After beating the game, it unlocks a Concept Art gallery.

Zero Suit Samus (Super Smash Bros. Series): Gives you a Energy Reserve Tank. After beating the game, it unlocks a Sound Test.

Those extras upon clearing the game sound good, right? Unfortunately, Nintendo confirmed something no one is going to like: Those extras can only be accessed with the amiibo. If you don't have the amiibo, you're not accessing those extras. That's a terrible idea, especially if you're not going to provide an alternate way to unlock those extras like unlocking them in-game.

Link: https://gonintendo.c...roid-samus-retu

Edited by KEM64, 29 July 2017 - 01:47 PM.

#33 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

You're right. I don't like that.

#34 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:44 PM

And here comes the nonsensical decisions Nintendo usually makes. I know amiibos have to have unique things to unlock so that they are worth buying (even though a lot of people just buy them because they want just the toy), but that amount of stuff it unlocks is ridiculous.

Specially when some of them are stuff you unlock in the other games, even in the Metroid series, by playing the game.

Edited by Norzan, 29 July 2017 - 06:49 PM.

• The Satellite likes this

#35 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:25 PM

Yeah, I don't mind how games like Star Fox Zero does it, where the Amiibo is an instant unlock for things that normally require either beating the game or getting 100%. All this is going to do is piss off the people who bought the game, but don't buy Amiibos.

And you could argue that it's similar or the same as stuff like Metroid Prime detecting a copy of Metroid Fusion and giving you the Fusion suit, but that was an extra that you had for owning two separate games that were full experiences in their own rights.

• The Satellite likes this

#36 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:18 AM

Hell, I'd love if there was some sort of neat connection bonus between this and Prime 4 when it comes out. Those kinds of things are fun. But an essentially useless figure to unlock some concept art and a sound test, which, as mentioned above, were staples in the past without additional item requirements? I'm not on board with that.

#37 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

They could do another bonus like the TPHD + BotW bonus via the amiibo with the two games, but they still don't know what they're doing with the amiibo in general between stock, prices and functionality. It is really lame to take previous staples and just slap them as amiibo unlocks though.

#38 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:21 AM

All this is going to do is piss off the people who [will buy] the game, but don't buy Amiibos.

Confirmed. Yeah, that's really dumb. I never really liked Amiibos, or cared about them at all, cause I know it was a money grab and a very successful one, but I don't need more stuff, and clutter around :P

• Cukeman likes this

#39 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:00 PM

Yeah, I buy DLC sometimes, but wouldn't bother if it's via Amiibo

#40 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:44 PM

Well, if you don't want to pay another 60$ for 4 amiibo on top of a 40$ game, there's always this. :D

100$ for a full game on a handheld? Nintendo must be smoking that good good.

#41 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:37 PM

To be fair, I do think it's surprising games aren't at $100 price tags considering how huge they're getting and how many tons of people are working on them. 

I kinda miss when you got a small team creating a game that didn't take 5000 hours of your life.

Edited by Cukeman, 30 July 2017 - 01:38 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#42 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:35 AM

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i recall Nintendo saying they would never put basic content (like sound test, galleries, difficulties) locked behind amiibos. Guess what's happening?

And it's four damn Amiibos, to make things worse. Nintendo, what the hell are you doing?

https://www.youtube....h?v=PuBvX3Jlsa0

Here's a breakdown of this bullshit and this is not exclusive to this game.

Edited by Norzan, 31 July 2017 - 05:46 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#43 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:12 AM

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i recall Nintendo saying they would never put basic content (like sound test, galleries, difficulties) locked behind amiibos. Guess what's happening?

Yeah once Nintendo said the GBA would be the "third pillar" along with the DS and GCN, their guarantees fell apart for me.

#44 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:35 AM

I'm pirating the shit out of this game. I have a modded 3DS and I'm not even sure if this game itself will be good. Remember how awesome and promising other m looked?

This is one of the biggest Nintendo slaps in a while. Day one paid DLC locked behind a stupid expensive limited supply toy. Nope. If you want my business have better business practices.

#45 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:22 AM

Yeah once Nintendo said the GBA would be the "third pillar" along with the DS and GCN, their guarantees fell apart for me.

According to the video i linked, Satoru Iwata was the one who said they would never do this type of crap they are doing with these amiibos and this game, which is locking basic content and features behind paywalls.

Maybe Iwata was the one who was keeping Nintendo from doing this type of bullshit. Damn, now i miss him even more.

Edited by Norzan, 31 July 2017 - 01:40 PM.

• Anthus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users