Photo

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:06 PM

http://www.starwars....e-viii-revealed

It's official. The latest episode in the Star Wars saga has a title. I admit I'm not sure how I feel about it, it seems somehow ominous and cheesy at the same time. Also, lest we forget, "Jedi" can be plural, so it doesn't necessarily mean Luke will end up dead. I'm very interested as to why "STAR WARS" is depicted in red this time, though...

Is it December yet?

• ZeldaPlayer likes this

#2 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

I'm very interested as to why "STAR WARS" is depicted in red this time, though...

Probably because Luke will end up dead :P

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

I'm doubting it for two reasons:

1. It would be too close and similar to the death in the last film and would make it feel too similar in plot progression.

2. QUIT KILLING MY CHILDHOOD ICONS

• WindRobe and SkyLizardGirl like this

#4 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:44 PM

I dunno about you, but I'm getting really tired of the predictability of the old mentor dying.  It's an old trope that needs to be retired for a while to make things interesting.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#5 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

Star Wars is a series known for recycling it's ideas mainly to have common themes or something like that. The 2nd trilogy in some aspects could be considered slight remakes of the original, and the new trilogy again can be seen as slight remakes with how they progress. 

I can see them killing off Luke for sure. 

But hey, that's just a theory! An NJF Theory!

• Naru likes this

#6 Item

Item

Senior

• Banned

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

We got 11 months left dude.

#7 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

Well, it is kind of fun to speculate and talk about our hopes and predictions for the film.  I mean, the rest of the internet is doing it. :P  We speculate on Zelda games 3 years before we have any idea what they're gonna be like.  Discussion makes for a more interesting wait than just sitting on our thumbs for the entire year.

Anyway, I don't think the subtitle necessarily means that they'll kill him off so that Rey is "the last jedi" so much as it means this movie will focus a lot about Luke?  It makes sense for a few reasons:

1. Episode 7 was all about trying to find Luke Skywalker.  It's clear that this movie will spend a lot of time on getting more specific about what happened between 6 and 7 for him because we only know some vague basics about that.

2. Luke held the title of "The Last Jedi."  That's what Yoda called him in Episode 6.  It basically sounds better than saying "Star Wars Episode VIII: Luke Skywalker".

That being said, I wouldn't like, put money down on him not dying.  It could certainly happen!  I hate the idea of losing all of the original trio, though, even if Leia might not have been planned to die. :(

#8 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

I think this simply means Episode 8 is about Luke.

He gained the title "The Last Jedi" when Yoda died.

As far as we know Luke is currently the last Jedi- Kylo's evil and Rey's untrained. Luke may have had other pupils, but they may be dead or never went all the way to becoming a master. Maybe Luke's pupils all turned on him to become the Knights of Ren.

All I'm saying is the title may not mean doom, but fan speculation is a runaway train, so let it run away.

I still don't even know exactly why the last episode was called The Force Awakens. I could make a few uncertain guesses, but that's about it. 

To be fair, all of the titles have been vague and unrevealing:

Star Wars = there are battles in space

A New Hope (retitle of Star Wars) = there is hope

The Empire Strikes Back = the Empire's making a comeback

Revenge of the Jedi = trying to make the audience think Luke might have gone evil (remember his entrance to Jabba's palace in a dark robe, force-choking pig guards- Vader's signature move, one black glove- traditional villain garb)

Return of the Jedi = Luke (hence the good guys) are making a comeback

The Phantom Menace = a bad guy exists, mysteriously (ancient sith comeback)

Attack of the Clones = the republic's army fights

Revenge of the Sith = the sith make a comeback

The Force Awakens = ...uh new (force-using) heroes and villains rise?

In fact, you could simply rephrase all of those titles as "the battle continues..."

Edited by Cukeman, 24 January 2017 - 05:07 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#9 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:46 PM

Episode IX's title was also leaked:

C3CvGJlUoAEA5EL.jpg

• SpacemanDan, strike, Evan20000 and 3 others like this

#10 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:04 AM

First lines in Episode 8:

Rey: "I think this is yours"

Luke: "No, THAT was my father's"

*shot*

#11 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:08 PM

Luke: "What the heck? I thought I gave that to Mara..."

Return of the Jedi = Luke (hence the good guys) are making a comeback

I always interpreted it as "The return of the Jedi Anakin Skywalker", actually, as a symbolic thing of him renouncing the dark side.

I'm not sure, but I suspect they won't kill off Luke. It would be weird and pointlessly depressing at this point. But they'll probably toy with making you think he might die. Also, it could imply that Rey might actually refuse Jedi training in some way, or that Luke is uncertain whether he should be continuing to train anyone after all that's gone wrong.

Now I'm (probably incorrectly) imagining a scenario back when they were trying to set up the contracts for Mark Hammill and Harrison Ford, where Harrison Ford was only willing to sign up if they were willing to write him out, and Mark Hammill was only willing to sign up if they would skip the "old mentor dies" beat from Qui Gon and Obi Wan (and also that if they didn't pay him enough, he'd break character and start talking in his Joker voice during inappropriate scenes). That's probably not how it went, but it'd be pretty funny.

Also, are they ever going to invite Billy Dee Williams to be in these movies to return as Lando? Nothing like that's been announced, but it'd be cool.

As far as completely random predictions... I'm really hoping at some point, probably Episode IX, that Kylo Ren's lightsaber will get broken in a way that makes it start spraying messy garden hose-esque energy all over the place, and he's still trying to use it as it burns him (because he's crazy like that).

I'm also vaguely hoping that, rather than the First Order 'coming back strong' like the Empire did, I'd like to see more of a protracted messy decline... they already seemed to be kind of a mess in the first film, what with Kylo Ren being cracked in the head and breaking their own equipment, General Hux' psycho Hitler speech (contrast how calm Tarkin was in Episode IV, or even Captain Needa in Episode V), troops defecting (Finn) or disobeying orders (the guys who turned around in the hallway when Kylo Ren called for guards). I can easily see them having put all their eggs into one basket with Starkiller Base, and I think it would make a newer, more interesting story to show the First Order not as a towering superpower, but as a chaotic, bleeding mess that already seems doomed, so it's less a question of toppling them and more a question of reducing the damage they do on the way down.

Also, regarding the first movie: Kylo Ren is totally a Tobe MacGuire-era spiderman villain. And I approve.

Edited by Mitsukara, 10 February 2017 - 02:17 PM.

#12 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:14 PM

If Luke resists training Rey it would parallel Yoda's reluctance to train Luke, not sure if I'd want that.

#13 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

Also, are they ever going to invite Billy Dee Williams to be in these movies to return as Lando? Nothing like that's been announced, but it'd be cool.

He's interested in returning, but I think health issues prevented him from appearing in Episode VII. I really want him to return even if it's just a cameo; if the movie does include Han's funeral like rumors say, it would make a lot of sense for Han's best buddy to be there.

#14 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:09 AM

http://www.youtube.c...gAiVuc&t=23m48s

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:29 PM

Some tiny things.

https://twitter.com/...280813416755200

The thumbnail for the article he linked shows off Poe, Rey, and Finn, except... Rey's hairstyle is a little different. Actually, it matches at least one supposed leak I saw, which I don't remember the entirety of and have no intentions of looking back up again now, just in case it all turns out to be true. Either way... I like it. But some of ya'll knew I have a big fan crush on Rey. :heh:

And here's a possibly minor spoiler of some slight changes to the stormtrooper armor. Very subtle changes, mind you.

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users