sideview Castlevania scripted

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:06 PM

Now the quest is released, it`s time to discuss it here. Feel free to ask for help, if you get stuck, or report a bug, if you found one. When reporting a bug, please, provide a screenshot that has reference to the bug.

• judasrising and CastChaos like this

#2 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

Hi

I am happy to play this final release of the quest.

#3 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:53 PM

I can't cross the doors when I was invincible. I finished Levels 1 and 2.

Btw... Is it possible an alternative quest version with the amazing music of the classic Castlevania NES or Vampire Killer MSX? The quest music is putting me off... It doesn't fit very well for me. It's very... relaxing. And the stages are based in the classic stages, so I think the original music could improve a lot the feeling...

Edited by Air Luigi, 19 September 2014 - 04:54 PM.

#4 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:54 PM

I can't cross the doors when I was invincible.

Grinded for hourglass and went trough the door at 1-2. Works fine.

Btw... Is it possible an alternative quest version with the amazing music of the classic Castlevania NES or Vampire Killer MSX? The quest music is putting me off... It doesn't fit very well for me. It's very... relaxing. And the stages are based in the classic stages, so I think the original music could improve a lot the feeling...

I tried to stay away from overused CV music when choosing MIDI`s. As for being too relaxing... Wait until you get to stage 5 and later.

#5 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:53 PM

Maybe I didn't have the key in that moment, forgive me, then.

The issue is that simply I can't play with this music >.> So, I think I won't continue. The original Castlevania has upbeat music, and if I see the original graphics, my ears need the original music. The midis that you used are totally unfitting with this style of graphics, imo. Your midis are more fitting to a modern castlevania game, and I don't have any immersion in the quest with this music. So, my interest disappeared. No Vampire Killer, no party. Sorry.

#6 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:15 PM

Played this up to Level 3-Something. It's a lot of fun, and it's designed pretty well around the lack of scrolling. The only real issue that I have is that it's nearly impossible to play on a keyboard. I do have a controller, so it's not a major problem, but I basically just ditched everything except the jump button and the whip. (Well, that and it's freaking Castlevania! Why would you not use the whip?)

The other thing was a personal preference thing. I'm not too fond of having to search for a key to exit the levels, especially once the Medusa Heads come into play. Of course, being able to keep all my progress, including if I've got the key or not, when I die does make it a lot easier. Anyways, personal preference, so I won't hold it against the quest itself.

#7 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:15 AM

I have tried this quest, it's very well made. I agree I'll need to use a controller to be good though, otherwise I kind of need a third hand.

I too would prefer the original Castlevania midis since the levels are a big nostalgia trip, but that's me... here's an idea you may use: you could write a small script that lets you choose at the beginning if you want the classic midis or the new ones?

• HavoX likes this

#8 Obderhode

Obderhode

There is great power in knowledge.

• Members

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:47 AM

Just completed Stage 1 & 2 and so far, I think the quest is pretty great! I have never played a Castlevania game before, so I have no frame of reference, but I am enjoying this a good bit. :)

#9 HavoX

HavoX

Has more posts in Doomworld than in PureZC

• Members

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:39 AM

Just finished Stage 5 a while ago... I'm very impressed with this so far.

I agree I'll need to use a controller to be good though, otherwise I kind of need a third hand.

Yeah, this quest is much easier when using a controller (I'm using the Logitech F310 btw)

#10 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

zelda004_zps4576eb70.png

I was curious how many of those zombies the birds would drop in. The answer is apparently enough to make my game lag and to stop my weapons from working...

I agree with Air Luigi and Jamian about the midis. They just don't fit. This was the perfect opportunity to use those overused Castlevania midis and have them actually fit too...

(Well, that and it's freaking Castlevania! Why would you not use the whip?)

I've never played Castlevania, but isn't the whip being a terrible, situationally useful weapon a big element of the classic games? Here it seems like the only weapon worth using. I made an honest effort to use the subweapons but the majority of the time I had full hearts because the whip was just infinitely better.

#11 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:01 AM

I have to give this game a spin...and I'll make sure Knuckles plays it too!  He enjoys Castlevania.  xD

#12 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:51 AM

zelda004_zps4576eb70.png
I was curious how many of those zombies the birds would drop in. The answer is apparently enough to make my game lag and to stop my weapons from working...

Nice catch! Capped at 10 in upcoming next version.

I agree with Air Luigi and Jamian about the midis. They just don't fit. This was the perfect opportunity to use those overused Castlevania midis and have them actually fit too...

The next version also have an alternative variation with CV music delivered as separate quest.

• Air Luigi likes this

#13 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:43 PM

Okay what do you do in the room with the pegs. I know it has something to do with music but other then that, no clue.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#14 HavoX

HavoX

Has more posts in Doomworld than in PureZC

• Members

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:48 PM

Spoiler

#15 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:02 PM