sideview

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 24 October 2021 - 10:17 PM

It`s coming.. My Magnum Opus project, straight from the depths of development hell...

Grayswandir Sideview Engine

0.93 Beta 4 for ZC 2.53.1 beta 55 & ZC 2.55 alphas

This is an improvement, if not complete renovation, of sideview engine used ages ago in a quest named Link Stuck in Castlevania. Complete with something like this:

• Stairs, like in old-school Castlevania games and slopes
  • Ladders to climb on
  • Icy floors to slip off
  • Water to swim in
  • Solid FFCs to be pushed around and get crushed by.
  • and many more, sowcased in the demo quest, included in the download! 

l8OPL8X.pngpeGjJps.png

tcQDXfV.pngFaieAp8.png

3Po98wx.pngAtd403G.png

0rzP2Tp.png55K1b4y.png

zK3ROXo.pngPshvs8t.png

AldkTMr.pngF8Fi0jf.png

Download

Credit goes to Moosh, who helped me with certain elements, like pushable enemy list, Link crushung sprites etc. And P-Tux7 for Sideview Link Swimming sprites.

Edited by Alucard648, 29 October 2021 - 01:50 AM.

• Shane likes this

#2 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 26 October 2021 - 07:41 PM

New beta has been released.

v 0,91
//Added Ladder speed modifier var
//Added option for Link to always face up when climbing ladders
//Assed Option to enable SMB-like swimming mechanics
//Fixed walking off solid FFCs underwater 

Download link is in OP.

#3 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 28 October 2021 - 12:13 AM

Beta v 0,92

//Added Sideview Link Swimming Animation and splash effect, thanks to P-Tux7.
//Added Sideview Signbord, Door and Treasure Chest scripts.

Download link is the same.

Comments? Suggestions? Bug reports?

EDIT: Damn, forgot to include updated demo quest. Redownload.
EDIT#2, Fixed stupid bug involving flipblocks that was occuring when set up in ZC 2.55 

Edited by Alucard648, 29 October 2021 - 01:48 AM.

#4 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 30 October 2021 - 12:47 AM

Beta v 0,94 
//Fixed Vicious bug that caused Link to be kicked out of screen if he scrolls into Solid FFC while on stairs.
//Reworked slippery combos.
//Fixed opening of treasure chests and doors.
//Reworked brick generating by crumbling bridge
//and some more... 

#5 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 31 October 2021 - 05:27 PM

Okay so here is some complaints and ideas about the test quest. But otherwise it was very good and seeing the bouncing higher on enemies, as well as stomping on two at a time without damage was my favourite part. I also liked the spinning platforms similar to Yoshi's Island.

-A jumping and falling animation. I can provide it if you want.
-It's kind of hard to move up between screens while swimming.
-Air bubble needs to generate while swimming
-Decelerating and accelerating moving platforms (you can also use the "platform bumpers" from Mario 3 if you don't want this but still want to visually indicate where the platforms reverse direction)
-An item that allows for 4-way swimming view (and used in puzzles for additional item usage instead of just left/right, similar to the L2 Bracelet in this quest)
-An item that allows for Frog Suit swimming
-Boots that make you immune to conveyors
-An option for the "Faster Movement", "Faster Stairs", and "Faster Swimming" boots to only trigger if you are pressing EX2. Like a run button.
-L2 Water combos with a different splash (which is basically lava, which drowns you just like water except it does not matter if you have flippers or not)
-Water currents (so, just a combined conveyor and water combo)
-Better scripted candle that places the flame farther away from Link.
-Sideview buttons with sound and these features
--Pressable by Link, blocks, or both
--Stays pressed if Link/the block leaves, or doesn't stay pressed
--All buttons on screen required to be pressed for secrets.
-Allowing for the 2x2 blocks to be pushed slower than 1x1, and to require a higher level Bracelet.
-One way platforms in the 4 directions (+option to duck to pass through top-solid platformslike Kirby)
-Conveyors that you can jump through the bottom and land on top (Like Mario 2 USA)

-Counting block similar to Yoshi's Island that decreases every time you land on it, and disappears at 0. Refreshes when you leave and come back
-Springboard (bounces you moderately if you don't hold the button, and bounces you higher if you do) and Note Block (the same idea, but with different animation)
-Hammer bouncer (a combo where you pound it with the hammer, and it shakes, and if you are standing on it after it is done shaking it bounces you, view it in the second boss fight of Toad Strikes Back)
-Oil (Slow walk combo, turns all oil combos that are touching it into lava if a fire weapon touches it. From Mega Man 6)
-Ladder snapping (similar to Mega Man)
-An option for forcing the player to face up on the ladder, like 2.55's rule for sideview ladders
-An option to require in-air Hover Boots to require a button press, this would have to update the double jump checking code also. You would still use them automatically if you walk off of a platform.
-An option to let the Wall Bouncer use four combos for its movement, like the Diagonal Podoboo in Super Mario World.
-I wonder if the Wizzrobe Fix script lets non-gravitational Lanmolas be used in sideview.
-Making the Moosh's Bumper script compatible with this engine.

-Making a crystal switch script compatible with this engine, for On/Off Ladders, Stairs, Slippery Blocks, etc.
-And four basic sideview enemies
--Firebar (Mario 1) two settings (Clockwise/Counterclockwise, Short/Long)
--Rotodisk (Mario 3) two settings (Clockwise/Counterclockwise, Starting Position Bottom/Top so that you can have blocks with two orbiting around them)
--Rinka Block (Metroid) has misc. settings in the enemy it generates, so that it imitates a certain shield defense so that it can be blocked by shields.
--Podoboo (Mario), per-enemy setttings are four directions (left/right/up/down) and a setting for how long its jump is.
-And the LA sideview enemies
--Goomba (Like a sideview walker enemy but it has a stomped sprite and drops a heart if you stomp on it instead of hurt it in another way)
--Thwomp that can be stood upon
--Thwomp that can be hurt, then it falls and turns into an inert block
--Cheep Cheep (vertical and horizontal)
--Blooper
--Stone Elevator (falls only when it has a block pushed upon it, and can either become an inert block or is destroyed when it hits the ground)

If you're interested I will make graphics for a lot of these. I have already done the platform line guides and reversers, which don't require any extra scripting.
Vm4Pxol.png
I'm actually considering doing graphics design on a collab quest with all this stuff (you script/level design and I graphics design) since I think ZC could use another good sideview quest, but no promises for now.

Edited by P-Tux7, 31 October 2021 - 08:26 PM.

#6 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 01 November 2021 - 06:33 PM

Okay so here is some complaints and ideas about the test quest. But otherwise it was very good and seeing the bouncing higher on enemies, as well as stomping on two at a time without damage was my favourite part. I also liked the spinning platforms similar to Yoshi's Island.

Thanks for criticiam and suggestions. Recorded your entire post into roadmap. Some of the features will be 2.55 specific, as in 2.53 all blank combo types are in use. And only 2 blank combo flags left.

As for bumpers, I would like to see Mario Maker SMB1 style 2*2 tile bumper with 4 frames of animation.

-Decelerating and accelerating moving platforms can be done with changers, although it requires a lot of fiddling with acceleration and velocity.

(+option to duck to pass through top-solid platformslike Kirby)

You can drop down top-solid platforms by pressing Down+Jump

-An option for forcing the player to face up on the ladder, like 2.55's rule for sideview ladders

const int LINK_LADDER_ALWAYS_FACE_UP = 1;

Didn`t you spot this constant in script file?

Edited by Alucard648, 01 November 2021 - 07:41 PM.

#7 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 01 November 2021 - 10:55 PM

As for bumpers, I would like to see Mario Maker SMB1 style 2*2 tile bumper with 4 frames of animation.

Ok, I just submitted them to Loose Tiles. I already have 4 other sideview graphics submissions in the queue, but I'll just wait until they're put on the site because they have explanations of how to rip and use them.

• Alucard648 likes this

#8 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 November 2021 - 07:04 AM

Some of the features will be 2.55 specific, as in 2.53 all blank combo types are in use. And only 2 blank combo flags left.

Yep, you run dry easily in 2.53. Thankfully 2.55 has plenty of space for scripts to work with, including all of the named but script-reserved combo types.

• Alucard648 likes this

#9 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 02 November 2021 - 11:59 AM

Is it okay if I DM you on Discord so I can give you sprites and we can discuss ideas more quickly?

#10 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 02 November 2021 - 09:36 PM

I think, this thread (and engine) needs more attention, as everyone since the day ZC 2.50 was released really wanted normal sideview gameplay. And bug reports should be very welcome in this thread.

Anyway, I need fire-resistant lava splash gfx and sound.

Edited by Alucard648, 02 November 2021 - 10:34 PM.

#11 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 03 November 2021 - 01:53 PM

Still working, and here is the screen where you can reproduce the bug that Shane reported. Hookshot up while on the stairs, or perhaps jump off the stairs and hookshot up. Do it about underneath the rightmost ladder.

smPvqju.png

Also, doesn't the Zelda 1 fire effect sound good enough for falling into the lava, and Podoboos jumping in/out of the lava?

Edited by P-Tux7, 03 November 2021 - 01:56 PM.

• Alucard648 likes this

#12 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 03 November 2021 - 05:52 PM

Here is the Podoboos (the diagonal is the bouncing around one from Super Mario World), 4 directions of Mario 3 edge lava (down up left right), a lava fill tile (same), and 3 different types of lava splashes (11 frames, 4 frames, 5 frames) for when a Podoboo bounces in/out of lava, or when Link/something else drowns in lava. One of them is the "liquid" lava splash like in Mario edited from the Mario 3 water splash, and the other two are puffs of burning smoke (first is Mario 2, second is Zelda 1). I didn't do the rotations for them because I wasn't sure which one you'd want.
Podoboos and first splash: CSet 8
Lava: CSet 1
Second two lava splashes: CSet 11
lOmmWm5.png
I will upload the Podoboos and lava to the database soon. But not the smoke puffs because they're just recolours, which is why I didn't put them on the database before showing you.

Edit: And here is Quicksand (CSet 1) and sinking Link (CSet 6). I will upload the Quicksand to the Mario 3 rip as well, but Link is only one tile so I'll just leave it to here. I also didn't do rotations because water can drown you and lava can burn you even sideways and upside down, but not quicksand because it needs downwards gravity.
I7v8Bu3.png
dlhlmZS.png
I just intended for this to be used similar to lava, I hate quicksand in games like Mario 3 because it puts wear on your keyboard or controller with the button mashing, so please do not add it to this engine.

Edited by P-Tux7, 03 November 2021 - 06:07 PM.

• Shane and Alucard648 like this

#13 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 03 November 2021 - 07:55 PM

I used sprite #12 and sound #13 for burning in lava as default sprites. And hookshot bug is already "sick one" (to be fixed in next update).

And thanks for liquid lava splash animation, as Link may obtan otherwoldhy artifact called

Spoiler

#14 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 26 November 2021 - 02:01 PM

Update 26.11.2021. Lots of new features. Changelog is inside readme in download in database.

#15 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 28 April 2022 - 12:14 PM

Nice mate

• Alucard648 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sideview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users