Random effects

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 notmichaeljfox

notmichaeljfox

Initiate

• Members

Posted 17 November 2021 - 07:03 AM

I have a villager you can choose to talk to that randomly increases or decreases your counters or gives or takes away a couple of specific items. I did so using some string control codes, but have discovered that the methods I was using don't work.

Because no one had flagged this bug before I am wondering if a villager that gives random status effects is a bad idea? Has anyone done something like this before? Am I making a big mistake?

#2 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 06 March 2023 - 09:45 AM

Outside roguelikes, random effects like this are bad idea. No one would play money making game, if worst case is losing heart container permanently.

• notmichaeljfox likes this

#3 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 07 March 2023 - 11:01 AM

I have a villager you can choose to talk to that randomly increases or decreases your counters or gives or takes away a couple of specific items. I did so using some string control codes, but have discovered that the methods I was using don't work.

uhh, those should work, considering that's a bug report you filed well over a year ago that I'm pretty damn sure I fixed well over a year ago.

Though, as Alucard mentioned, losing a *heart container* at *random*? If I didn't know about it ahead of time, and got surprised by it, I'd be pissed enough to stop the quest instantly. Permanent items should be permanent, except in the case of something like a roguelike. And OCD would fucking kill me having like, a final heart container count of 19, or being forced to gamble to find max heart containers? That's just *no*.

• notmichaeljfox likes this

#4 notmichaeljfox

notmichaeljfox

Initiate

• Members

Posted 24 April 2023 - 07:10 AM

Hi Emily. Thanks for fixing it a year ago, and for the advice now (ish). This post was about whether the thing I can now technically do was a dumb idea or not. :)

It doesn't take or give anything permanent, critical to finishing the game, or anything that will kill you. However, the state I left it in was pretty buggy (I've since abandoned it). Most of the effects weren't applied and there was a strong chance it would take one of your shields. Here is what it looked like.

The bartender lives in a castle, and forces you to have a random drink with an effect that mostly increases, but sometimes decreases, one of your counters. The negative effects are restricted to the amount of a counter you have. e.g. if your life counter is 5, the max you would lose is 2 or 3.

Edited by notmichaeljfox, 24 April 2023 - 07:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users