Photo

Screenshot of the Week 761

Demonlink Aslion Rambly Twilight Knight Valerie

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 761 (50 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 August 2021 - 10:59 PM

Aslion

Aslion.png

threw out my dolls and got a dog, so stop crying

Demonlink

Demonlink.png

My dearest Alma... as I stare out to the vast ocean, once again I feel nostalgia for what used to be myself... my life has never been the same without you. What used to be smiles and laughter, has become tears and sorrow. I miss you so much... and I only wish you were here with me... I love you so so much... and most importantly... I miss you. (Palette is up for grabs, I named it "sunset nostalgia").

Rambly

Rambly.png

you say it's a dead old world dull and unforgiving
i don't know where you live but you're not living

Twilight Knight

Twilight%20Knight.png

Valerie

Valerie.png

Roar!

• Bagu likes this

#2 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 16 August 2021 - 12:16 PM

Aslion's screen is fine, it's just...well...I like colors!

Demonlink's got my vote. I'm not a big fan of standard classic, but god, Cambria is just really pretty. This is a good palette, I like this palette.

Rambly's screen has similar strengths and weaknesses to her last one, except...on her last entry, everything she did was so new, and this one feels like it's kind of just following in that one's footsteps on a lot of counts. The upper bridge feels a little weird because of the perspective...it looks sort of like it's hanging vertically instead of being a flat walkable surface, because of the crags around it. I think the top of the center crag should have probably been visible.

The water in Twilight Knight's screen is awkward--I want to like it, or at least the general idea of it, but the edges and corners are so awkward here. Among other things, the sharp corners and the lower left bit don't look like they fit the contours of the wall around them. And on the right side, the transition from water to land looks really strange too. I think the screen is mostly fine aside from that...it's one of those tilesets where all the screens kind of look similar to me, but that's a me thing, I think.

I think the point of Valerie's screen here is to showcase BS walls that aren't just the standard box shape? And that aspect of them is pretty cool. (I'd ditch the floor patterns in the top corners, though. They'd probably work better as more giant unevenly sized stone bricks like the borders around them.) But it's still hard to get excited about something that would be a fairly basic screen that any other tileset could easily do, I don't know. This screen is so simple, and so monochrome.

Edited by Ether, 16 August 2021 - 12:18 PM.

• Demonlink and Matthew like this

#3 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 17 August 2021 - 12:10 AM

demonlink's actually kicks my big butt with how fucken pretty it is that i can ignore the fact that the perspective makes no sense - especially given that the perspective of my shot makes no sense, either!

Rambly's screen has similar strengths and weaknesses to her last one, except...on her last entry, everything she did was so new, and this one feels like it's kind of just following in that one's footsteps on a lot of counts. The upper bridge feels a little weird because of the perspective...it looks sort of like it's hanging vertically instead of being a flat walkable surface, because of the crags around it. I think the top of the center crag should have probably been visible.

yeah it's lame that i'm repeating content but i was like honor-bound to submit this shot. nothing i could do about it
  • Mitchfork, Aslion, Demonlink and 1 other like this

#4 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 17 August 2021 - 08:03 PM

I really love Valerie's Shot. 
But Demon Link's definitly the best.
...so he got my vote!

Edited by Bagu, 17 August 2021 - 08:03 PM.

• Valerie and Demonlink like this

#5 Valerie

Valerie

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 18 August 2021 - 07:58 PM

I think the point of Valerie's screen here is to showcase BS walls that aren't just the standard box shape? And that aspect of them is pretty cool. (I'd ditch the floor patterns in the top corners, though. They'd probably work better as more giant unevenly sized stone bricks like the borders around them.) But it's still hard to get excited about something that would be a fairly basic screen that any other tileset could easily do, I don't know. This screen is so simple, and so monochrome.

Hmm I don't really know if my screen has any point to it, I just heard that another entry was needed before the contest could start so I just uploaded a pic that I already had, and I tried to pick one that had graphics that haven't been shown yet. Thanks for the critique, it helps make my graphics better and gives me more ideas. :)
  • Twilight Knight likes this

#6 Ghost

Ghost

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 20 August 2021 - 08:18 AM

Good, good.

#7 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 05:52 PM

Aslion
The ground detailing is spot on and I like the general design of this screen. That palm tree house sure is an unique sight also!

Demonlink
Juicy palette and those mountains certainly are a lot nicer than the original NES mountains. It does feel a little chaotic to me for some reason though, I have a feeling the grass borders have something to do with it.

Rambly
I still like this concept with the mountains and the palette still is very pretty. I do find it hard to grasp the perspective in this one though and I was thinking perhaps some shadow under the higher bridge would help?

Valerie
While there is not much going on, I really like these new Gleeok sprites. It looks somewhat like a Chinese dragon now. A fine BS boss screen I would say. I agree that the detailing in the upper corners looks a bit off though.

The water in Twilight Knight's screen is awkward

I agree it's not ideal because of the sharp corners. I do think it still looks real nice, especially when animated and maybe I can find a solution to getting rid of those sharp corners easily, but it'll be on my nice-to-have list. Thanks for the feedback!

• Demonlink and Bagu like this

#8 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 21 August 2021 - 06:03 PM

I like the water transperecy in Twilie's tileset
(don't know if those are his own custom tiles ore part of another user's tileset, but they are great)

No matter. I still like Demon Link's screen, most.

Edited by Bagu, 21 August 2021 - 06:04 PM.

• Twilight Knight likes this

#9 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 August 2021 - 10:54 PM

With 52.17% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 761 is Demonlink!

Demonlink.png

My dearest Alma... as I stare out to the vast ocean, once again I feel nostalgia for what used to be myself... my life has never been the same without you. What used to be smiles and laughter, has become tears and sorrow. I miss you so much... and I only wish you were here with me... I love you so so much... and most importantly... I miss you. (Palette is up for grabs, I named it "sunset nostalgia").

Congrats!

Voting totals:
- Aslion - 11 votes [23.91%]
- Demonlink - 24 votes [52.17%]
- Rambly - 4 votes [8.70%]

- Twilight Knight - 4 votes [8.70%]

- Valerie - 3 votes [6.52%]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Demonlink, Aslion, Rambly, Twilight Knight, Valerie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users