[WIP]Super Gameboy Tileset

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Eh, we'll see how long my attention span with this lasts. I am working on my own games simultaneously after all. So, as the title suggests, this is to be a tileset of advanced Gameboy Zelda graphics. It WILL adhere to that and ONLY that. No A Link to the Past, Minish Cap, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, etc. other tiles up in this tileset icon_evil.gif.

Screenies
IPB Image IPB Image

And this one, I just included the alternate advance GB cliff tiles I made a while back, and also, this is an alternate Overworld palette for a different set of browns:

IPB Image

Download
Not quite ready for that yet =x.

What should I tackle next...more trees, Link's sprites, or...?

Edited by Koh, 04 March 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#2 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

I think the bushes and trees could use a reimagining. The way they are now are just...gross. I love the alternate mountains though, those are beautiful. icon_smile.gif

#3 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:22 AM

I love how everything looks so far. Everything is just beautiful. I can see myself using these if they ever get done. (I'm sure they will.)

#4 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:58 AM

Besides those sexy mountain tiles in the last shot, I don't like it at all honestly. Firstly, the palette is dull and gross. Greens look radioactive and the browns look rather generic and boring. Let me show you a quick made palette:

IPB Image

I went from light yellow to dark green for my green. And I went from light brown to grey purple for my brown. Point is: I don't limit myself to just blue to blue. What works with blue? Purple. So I throw in some purple to the darker shades of my blue provided it flows well. Now secondly, I think the shading is... off. The grass for example. The grass looks like it has engravings the way you shaded it. The medium green shade pixels at the top of each grass blade should have the brightest shade of green, otherwise with the medium, as I stated before it kind of looks like engravings on the ground. Also I don't like how there's black green grass blades scattered on the bright cream ground... it looks odd, another example of why you should consider to take another look how you coloured and shaded things.

Lastly, the tiles themselves... I just, don't like them. I'm not getting the "super" feel out of any of the tiles save for the mountains in the last shot.

But again I really love those mountains in the last shot. icon_thumbsup.gif

#5 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE(Jared @ Mar 4 2013, 07:11 PM) View Post

I think the bushes and trees could use a reimagining. The way they are now are just...gross. I love the alternate mountains though, those are beautiful. icon_smile.gif

See after the quotes.

QUOTE(Ventus @ Mar 5 2013, 06:22 AM) View Post

I love how everything looks so far. Everything is just beautiful. I can see myself using these if they ever get done. (I'm sure they will.)

Thanks~

QUOTE(Shane @ Mar 5 2013, 06:58 AM) View Post

Besides those sexy mountain tiles in the last shot, I don't like it at all honestly. Firstly, the palette is dull and gross. Greens look radioactive and the browns look rather generic and boring. Let me show you a quick made palette:

IPB Image

I went from light yellow to dark green for my green. And I went from light brown to grey purple for my brown. Point is: I don't limit myself to just blue to blue. What works with blue? Purple. So I throw in some purple to the darker shades of my blue provided it flows well. Now secondly, I think the shading is... off. The grass for example. The grass looks like it has engravings the way you shaded it. The medium green shade pixels at the top of each grass blade should have the brightest shade of green, otherwise with the medium, as I stated before it kind of looks like engravings on the ground. Also I don't like how there's black green grass blades scattered on the bright cream ground... it looks odd, another example of why you should consider to take another look how you coloured and shaded things.

Lastly, the tiles themselves... I just, don't like them. I'm not getting the "super" feel out of any of the tiles save for the mountains in the last shot.

But again I really love those mountains in the last shot. icon_thumbsup.gif

I see what you're saying. I just like really bright and vibrant colors; the environment should be made just as important as the characters, to absorb you into the world IMO. Well I'll save palette editing for last, as that's an aesthetic, and most would probably not even use the default palettes anyway XD.

Bushes and Tree Updates (New on Left, Old on Right)
IPB Image IPB Image

#6 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

The trees are a bit better, yes. but the bushes are still nasty.

#7 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE(Jared @ Mar 6 2013, 06:24 PM) View Post

The trees are a bit better, yes. but the bushes are still nasty.

Define this. What makes them bad =O?

#8 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

The set is certainly improving, but the palette still makes me gag. It's kinda like if you were designing your palettes off a color wheel and limited yourself to colors from the far edge of the wheel. Those greens are just so uncreative and this is green, the most uncreative color ever we're talking about here. I'd suggest either going for lighter or darker greens. The same goes for the browns you used for the mountains. In fact I think the greens may be acceptable if you just lighten up those mountain colors a bit. Maybe you could have the mountains and tree trunks use different colors? I notice a lot of sets aren't able to do much with their mountain colors because the trees use the same colors.

Also I really don't like how you have grass detail on top of grass tiles. It only worked in the Gameboy games because they didn't detail their grass ground tiles to look like tall grass. If you just made the grass ground tiles look a little more trimmed down it would probably work just fine.

#9 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(Koh @ Mar 6 2013, 08:52 PM) View Post
Define this. What makes them bad =O?
Well, nasty is a bit harsh. But I think the biggest problem is that they have a big perspective clash. Your trees look relatively 3Dish, but those bushes look sorta flat.

But besides that, they look like green leevers.

#10 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

You're kinda doing the opposite - you gave the environment bright radioactive greens and then you gave Link dark green for his tunic. You're commonly supposed to be giving the environment darker and more natural colours. You give the sprites bright, and more unnatural colours. It makes the tileset feel artificial and not "absorbed into a world".

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, you can have bright environment colours. But I believe the colours you have right now are gross honestly.

I'm glad you are considering to revise the palette though. icon_smile.gif

Edited by Shane, 06 March 2013 - 10:39 PM.

#11 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE(Koh @ Mar 6 2013, 04:35 PM) View Post
I see what you're saying. I just like really bright and vibrant colors; the environment should be made just as important as the characters, to absorb you into the world IMO. Well I'll save palette editing for last, as that's an aesthetic, and most would probably not even use the default palettes anyway XD.
This isn't a good idea, as palettes play a rather large role in the creation of pixel art. Whether a particular pixel looks better at one tone or another depends heavily on your palette - particularly the contrast between different tones. For example, say your "working palette" has a colour range that's fairly low contrast, and you're drawing something soft - like a marshmallow tree or something. Since your colours are low contrast it looks fine using a lot of different shades. Now you go to draw a rock using the same colours, and realise that the low contrast just isn't giving you enough to craft some hard edges. So you adjust the contrast to make the rock look better, and now your marshmallow tree looks like a rock. So you have to go back and redo your marshmallow, cutting out some of the darker pixels to soften it up a bit.

This is why it really helps to nail down your palette as soon as possible, so you don't have to go back and redo everything you've already done when a future palette revision makes it look like crap.

As for your current palette, as others have pointed out it's rather boring. You should consider yellow-shifting your grass colours, as grass isn't usually greener than leaves. You also need to add more contrast to your leaves, and brighten up the dirt. At the moment the dirt looks very grey and washed out. I'll do a quick recolour as a suggestion (still needs tweaking, but right away it looks much better IMO). Yours on the left, mine of the right:

IPB Image IPB Image

I also noticed that you're using a LOT of colours, and many of those colours are very similar to each other. There's absolutely no reason to use five shades for grass, five for leaves, and five for dirt. You should be able to easily fit grass, dirt, mountains, and maybe even leaves into a single cset, yet you've used almost one and a half. Unless you need the flexibility you should really try to blend your colour sets more - like having your dirt the same colour as mountain highlights, or having your grass and leaves share darker shades, and use highlights to differentiate the two (you can seriously trick the eye into believing a single colour is a variety of different colours, just by its proximity to others). This has two main benefits: it uses less palette space (giving you more breathing space for colour variety) and gives the scene harmony. It makes your scene look like a whole picture, rather than individual bits and pieces stuck together.

Anyway, I suggest you research a bit on colour theory - particularly regarding pixel art. Learn how to get the most out of a limited palette, rather than creating so many superfluous shades of each colour.

#12 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

That looks really amazing actually. I do need to work on my palette skills; perhaps you can give me a piece of your expertise =O?

#13 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE(Koh @ Mar 7 2013, 03:06 PM) View Post

That looks really amazing actually. I do need to work on my palette skills; perhaps you can give me a piece of your expertise =O?

What I do:

For the lightest shades I think about what light my scenery has. If it's sunlight, I usually choose some yellowish tones. For the darkest shades I usually pick dark purple, blue or teal depending on the other colors. The colors in between the darkest and lightest shades are supposed to blend into those. The middle tone usually is the actual tile's color (so some kind of green for leaves for example) and the other colors are gradients of that middle color that shift either to lightest and darkest shades respectively. All materials (wood, rocks etc) usually share similar lightest and darkest shades.

Edited by Sheik, 07 March 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#14 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

What about this

IPB Image

I combined the dirt/treestump/mountain colors, and shared the lightest green for the trees/bushes and grass, and the darkest universal color is now the outline of the bush and tree? (Not in ZC yet, this is MS Paint work.)

#15 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

Woah, NoeL. Those colors are amazing. Everything blends in a lot better now, it feels alive!

Koh, the new tiles look amazingly better, and much more custom. I can't wait to see them in a screen!!
Also, I think you should ditch your first kind of mountains, and use your alternate as the main. They're just so superior. icon_smile.gif

Edited by Jared, 07 March 2013 - 05:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users