• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:44 PM

Since Ninty's lawyers have taken it down...

*link removed*

For those who don't know, this is a fan remake of Metroid 2: Return of Samus, made by DoctorM64. It's really high quality, and it just recently got it's first full release.

Edited by Russ, 08 August 2016 - 10:50 PM.
See post below

• TK8305 likes this

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:50 PM

Hey, just a quick staff notice. Because Nintendo took down the game, we could get in legal trouble for posting links to it. Please do not post download links for AM2R.

However, discussion of the game is allowed and encouraged.
  • TK8305 likes this

#3 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:00 AM

I was fortunate to grab my copy before it went down.  It is AWESOME!  :3

I'll have to watch carefully on YouTube to make sure no one gets slammed by Nintendo for LPing it. (I plan to do it after I finish WCW/nWo Revenge)  The older vids of AM2R seem to still be up & fine though.  

#4 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:10 AM

Beat it twice already :D

4:54:xx @ 92% Normal

2:00:23 @ 60% Normal

The game is awesome, expands and improves upon Metroid 2 amazingly. My jaw dropped for the last boss fight. The extra areas are awesome. Only complaint is the sprite for one of the minibosses is kind of poor. I'm glad it all paid off, I've been watching the project for years.

Acquire it, if you can.

On another note, regarding Nintendo's shutdown. I understand why they do it, and am glad there was a day for the game to circulate and "perpetuate" before officially getting shut down. My hope is that Nintendo makes an official remake of Metroid 2 in light of all this, but I won't hold my breath.

Edited by Strato, 09 August 2016 - 12:15 AM.

• TK8305 likes this

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:17 AM

I'd like to post an alternate perspective on the DMCA thanks to Koishi/Pururut in IRC. Good food for thought. Bit lengthy but worth it:

Spoiler

tl;dr, because US copyright/trademark laws suck, Nintendo was basically forced to protect their IP but at least allowed the game to be completed and distributed before striking, when it's too late for it to vanish. Whether or not this is actually the case or not we may never know; even if it was the case, Nintendo wouldn't just come out and admit it for legal issues I'm sure. But lest we forget, this is the same system that let "Candy Crush" get both of those words trademarked. :sweat:

#6 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:34 AM

- big-ass chat log -

tl;dr, because US copyright/trademark laws suck, Nintendo was basically forced to protect their IP but at least allowed the game to be completed and distributed before striking, when it's too late for it to vanish. Whether or not this is actually the case or not we may never know; even if it was the case, Nintendo wouldn't just come out and admit it for legal issues I'm sure. But lest we forget, this is the same system that let "Candy Crush" get both of those words trademarked. :sweat:

That's basically what I'm hoping was the situation. This way they can let an excellent fan project exist and circulate (sort of) while still officially not condoning it.

Edited by Strato, 09 August 2016 - 12:34 AM.

• The Satellite likes this

#7 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:46 AM

Hmmm, I'm surprised AM2R website now has the Blogpost stating it was released was completely deleted, also the blogpost detailing what the project was is also gone and there is no mention via twitter of the final version being released either. It looks like they've gone out of their way to delete all evidence of the project except old blog posts?

#8 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:52 AM

Copyright needs to be reformed.  This guy should get hired to port this to the 3DS/Wii U as a programmer for Nintendo.  Everyone would win that way.  It'd be better than how they're treating the Metroid franchise recently.  Happy 30th anniversery, Samus, have a pinball game.

Also, there'll be a torrent of this game up for ages.  Just google it if you really want the game.

Edited by thepsynergist, 09 August 2016 - 02:53 AM.

• Deedee likes this

#9 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:19 PM

Or ask me, I'll send it to you through Skype or email!  xD

#10 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:09 PM

Damn, only heard about this now. I really wanted to play.

#11 KEM64

KEM64

Junior

• Members

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:36 PM

It's a good thing that I was able to download the game just after the (now gone) blog post over it's release went up on the game's site.

Edited by KEM64, 09 August 2016 - 05:06 PM.

#12 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:48 PM

If you look at the blog, there's a new entry acknowledging the takedowns. He said that we wasn't given a Cease and Desist personally, just DMCA takedowns on all of the various hosts. Because of this, he's considering forging ahead with the planned updates, and trying to figure a way to spread them out without any more takedowns later on.

Giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt, since he said there was no actual C+D, I'm guessing that they legally have to put up some form of resistance as this point, they're just doing it as half-assed as possible, such as targeting individual distributions instead of the guy making it.

#13 Twilight-Prince

Twilight-Prince

The Adversary

• Members

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:18 AM

Played through the game on Normal, finished it with 82% (not bad for a first full run).

Gotta say, I am still impressed with this game, and I'm likely to play through it again sometime soon. If anyone who hasn't tried this can get their hands on it, I highly recommend doing so.

#14 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:59 PM

Of course I'm not thrilled to hear the game was taken down, but to Nintendo's credit, whenever I hear about a game being taken down (OoT:2D, LoZ:3D Tribute, AM2R), it's not just some fangame, it's a big release directly remaking a specific game Nintendo has on the market. OoT, LoZ, and M2 are all available on Virtual Console, so that's competing with sales. That's a lot more understandable than Nintendo shutting down mario.qst or whatever.

#15 Lejes

Lejes

Seeker of Runes

• Members

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:45 PM

It's not just popular remakes. They've been really aggressive in filing copyright claims against Mario ROM hack videos on Nico Nico and Youtube. Nintendo isn't executing some secret plot to discreetly permit the fan communities to do things by waiting until something hits a certain threshold of popularity, they really are just that dumb.
  • Deedee likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users