Photo

The Megaman Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

#31 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

2 also has nonexistent weapon balance; stages that aren't completely accessible to the player from the start, creating some pseudo-linearity; disability to disable certain items at will; questionable enemy placement, level design, and spike placement; an obnoxiously long weapon get segment with mind-numbing music; and the BOOBEAM TRAP. Is the soundtrack good? Yes, definitely. Are the level's design themes fitting and inspired? Sure. Is that final segment before Alien Wily chilling and creepy? Totally. Is the game well-designed in general? Hell no.

I also really don't get how Megaman 2's weapons are more useful than... any other Megaman game. In 2, literally the only weapon I used apart from boss fights was the Metal Blade, whereas I use the weapons in the other games much more, and not at any required points. Honestly the only weapon you needed in 2 was Metal Blade, it ate up practically every enemy and could go in any direction without taking hardly any weapon energy, so why not stick to just it? Whereas in 3 I find myself switching up all the time, Magnet Missile to take care of pests difficult to aim at, Shadow Blade to one-hit kill the wasp enemy before it can drop its hive, Gemini Laser to take down some more powerful/annoying enemies in the way... Variety, the key to Megaman. Won't pretend they're all good, Top Spin is pretty stupid, but at least you get more use out of this arsenal than you do out of 2's.

Speaking of Top Man, I will admit his stage design is a little... odd, considering his theme, though we at least get enemies relevant to his theme. ... other than those cats. I still don't understand. As for Needle Man, let's be fair, how do you theme a stage after him? Spikes? It'd be smart if Wily actually did that but for the sake of game design, that'd be a boring level, lol. Plus, the robots are taking over the world, so why not have one terrorizing the town? Also, that stage has its own little clever design: You can see the giant Mettools (the hardhat enemy) under construction in the first visit, then in the second visit you actually fight them, which I thought was really awesome, personally. Speaking of the Doc Robot stages, I'm alright with them because the levels got their own tweaks so they weren't actually the same as the last time, though the 2 rematches... many of those were just evil.

I also thought 3 had better atmosphere anyway, because of Protoman and his mysteriousness. Story has never been Megaman's strong point, but the universe and lore definitely began to truly expand with this title.

That's how I feel, and part of why 3 will probably always be my favorite Megaman game. Admittedly in the end I may have to admit that 4 is a better-designed game overall, but 4 doesn't have the same atmosphere or godly soundtrack that 3 has. 6 does pretty well though.

• Moonbread, Russ and Orithan like this

#32 RetroChallengeGamer

RetroChallengeGamer

Challenge LP'r

• Members

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:25 PM

I always thought Top Man's theme had to do with the outside. Spinning tops was always a pasttime of the outdoors and I figured the greenery set that up. Either that or its all an allusion to smoking weed and with the cats, catnip. Its one big druggie level.

#33 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

Topman's stage was designed before they knew that Topman would be the robot in that stage. Megaman 3 was when they started to rush the games, with a Megaman game per year. And the "rush" shows off in these details (music, weapons, gimmicks, robot designs...), which are for me way more important, than nitpicking the minor details in design or a single trap that maybe I don't like.

Edited by Air Luigi, 17 September 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#34 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:43 PM

I got into Megaman some years ago when the whole Battle Network craze was going on. I watched the anime, played the games, and collected toys. I didn't really get into the classic Megaman until years later, which is kinda sad, since I like those games WAY more than the newer ones. Everything from the music, to the level and boss design, the classic Megaman games are simply perfection in my eyes... Well, besides maybe 5. I felt that was the weakest of the bunch...

• The Satellite likes this

#35 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:47 PM

And the "rush" shows off in these details

ZjPdEXg.gif

And the "rush" shows off in these details (music, weapons, gimmicks, robot designs...), which are for me way more important, than nitpicking the minor details in design or a single trap that maybe I don't like.

While I can understand where you're coming from in regards to some of the weapons and gimmicks but... the music? Rushed? Maybe in later games, but 3? I have a hard time believing that, because 3's soundtrack is just so good. 2, 3, and 6 were where the soundtracks really shone in the NES series I thought, with 3 at the pinnacle. It's so good, and then The Megas made it even better. I understand your issues with the rest of the game(s), but leave the soundtrack alone. :cry:

As far as those "nitpicks," they're way more than "minor details" or "a single trap," especially if they stand out enough to hurt the experience. The "trap" I mentioned, the "Boobeam Trap," that's the boss of the fourth Wily stage, the one you have to defeat with Crash Bombs, and you only have enough weapon energy to do a perfect run, and since dying doesn't reset your energy, you'll have to find somewhere to grind until you had the energy back, and there's the possibility you might fail again. It might seem minor to you (and I find myself in awe of anyone who feels this way), but they're major to me. :shrug:

5 was mentioned. I still have yet to replay it. Will tonight. Oi... not looking forward to it.

#36 Obderhode

Obderhode

There is great power in knowledge.

• Members

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:16 PM

Megaman has always been my favorite game series. I personally agree The Satellite on MM2 and find it to be the worst in the series. I actually find very little of the game fun and I wouldn't even say the music is the best. MM2 is probably the only Megaman I never intend to play again unless Capcom magically decided to continue the Powered Up series (would be awesome!). For the NES Megaman games, 6 is my favorite.

Although I personally like the MMX series a bit better, with MMX2 being my favorite. :)

Edited by Obderhode, 17 September 2014 - 08:20 PM.

• The Satellite likes this

#37 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:20 AM

Finished Megaman 5 again tonight. Still hate it. Wondered if replaying it might have changed my mind, but it didn't. It had some very annoying enemies, bosses, and level design, with some very bland music (Stone Man, Dark Man, Wily stages, and the credits music being some exceptions), and overall just wasn't a ton of fun. Gravity Man and Star Man had cool gimmicks for their stages, but the overall design wasn't that great. It's my least-favorite Megaman game that I've played so far, I must say. At least 6 picked up the slack and made something really enjoyable. I might play it again soon just to get the BEAT plates and feel good playing a Megaman game again.

#38 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:00 PM

I really dislike that ability to change direction without moving mechanic that is in Megaman 1 and 2, it's the biggest reason why I can't stand playing the 2nd game over the 3rd game. It's a mechanic that is barely useful in this game series yet it's loved by most?

Edited by franpa, 18 September 2014 - 02:01 PM.

#39 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:26 PM

There actually is one thing I noticed about Megaman 1 and 2... slippery physics. Megaman slides a little before he stops running, or after landing a moving jump in the first one. In the second, he doesn't after jumping, but will just a little after he stops running. I didn't much care for those physics, they didn't feel as precise as the physics in later games. I'm not nitpicking the first two games because of those physics, but they could be a little annoying sometimes, more so in the first game.

#40 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:44 PM

There actually is one thing I noticed about Megaman 1 and 2... slippery physics. Megaman slides a little before he stops running, or after landing a moving jump in the first one. In the second, he doesn't after jumping, but will just a little after he stops running. I didn't much care for those physics, they didn't feel as precise as the physics in later games. I'm not nitpicking the first two games because of those physics, but they could be a little annoying sometimes, more so in the first game.

That might also be something I noticed but simply didn't remember. I know for a fact that the controls are awkward/less responsive though.

#41 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

Music in Megaman 3 is good, I was referring to 4-5-6 mainly.

I played Megaman 3 today. Practically all the weapons are "shot" type, that's why they feel stale for me. The design lacks the focus in platforming and puzzle elements that I loved in 1-2-9. It's more about killing enemies and crossing corridors from left to right... It's simply repetitive. There are a lot of elements that feel unfocused. For example, the spinning tops platforms in TopMan stage... they only appear one time before the boss. There are a lot of times when I feel the stages empty, like in beta state. There isn't a single stage when I feel... "wow". It's simply ok. It's very easy, and that made the game very uninteresting for me.

It's normal that the latest games have better controls than the first games... it's the least they could do xD But that's irrelevant for me, Megaman 1-2 have enough good controls. I like way more, controls that have a learning curve.

Edited by Air Luigi, 18 September 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#42 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

Music in Megaman 3 is good, I was referring to 4-5-6 mainly.

Good. :tard:

There are a couple of good tracks in 4 and I can count the good tracks in 5 on one hand, but on the whole the two games don't have very good soundtracks, especially 5... 5's was awful. 6 though, I disagree on, I felt the music was very good. Maybe not up to the standards of 2 and 3, but still pretty enjoyable. After 6 though, the classic series didn't really have good soundtracks again until 9 and 10. :(

#43 Lejes

Lejes

Seeker of Runes

• Members

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:02 PM

5's soundtrack didn't go for simple and catchy like previous games in the series, but it was still excellent. And 6 I'll always remember as the game that ruined the NES classic gameplay mechanics that they had finally honed to perfection in 5. Not even being able to wear your dog can save it from that damning indictment. I think you're way too stuck on Mega Man 3 in general, TS. Saying 7's soundtrack had nothing going for it is bizarre, to say the least, and that's on top of the entirely new aesthetic. For Capcom to come out with something so fresh after six games of stagnation was pretty special. Speaking of fresh, this thread is really underrating Mega Man X. It was god damn revolutionary. The new gameplay amped the speed of the game to a level the classic series was never capable of.

Air Luigi is right about 3 as well. It was really phoned in. The Doc Robot stages are the obvious example, but next time you play the game I encourage you to take a really close look at the Wily stages as well. They're all very trivial and barren.

• Air Luigi likes this

#44 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:06 PM

I've played 3 enough times to be able to note its flaws, and the Wily stages are not one of them. As for the Doc Robot stages, as I said above, they're not the same as their counterparts. Some screens were recycled, yes, but there are plenty of new screens and layouts, and also Needle Man's stage was night instead of day, how neat! There's nothing wrong with these stages. 3 is anything but a "phoned in" game, especially when it introduced us to the slide as well as Rush and his abilities.

Also 7's soundtrack being good is subjective. Yes, a couple tracks were good (credits theme sticks out), but overall it was boring to me. I also don't really like the sounds it used compared to the 8-bit games, so there's that.

#45 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:33 PM

Wait, there was a 7th game? I thought they just went from 6 to 8 directly. >_>

(No, I don't have horrible memories of a certain freaking boss making me not want to remember it. Nope. Not at all. >_<)

But seriously, I'm one of those people that really really liked 3. I'd have to replay it, but I don't recall having very many issues with it off the top of my head. Actually, I just need to go back and replay all of them to get a better general sense of things. >_<
  • Russ likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users