Subscreens 101

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#16 Nimono

Nimono

Ultra Miyoa Extraordinaire!

• Members

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:15 PM

Why did you put that you can't get the Large and Minimaps to work? Minimaps only show when you check "Show Map", but it also shows the Rooms, which are in a hardcoded location. It makes it to where if you want the Map somewhere else, you must either turn off the "Show Map" option and use Tile Blocks for the map, or you must get rid of the map altogether. For Large Maps, I know what "Large" does. It expands the size of the map horizontally. You don't need to check this. However, to make it show up, you obviously need to set some tiles to it.

#17 4matsy

4matsy

SHE WILL WAKE ONLY WITH THE POWER OF NO. 3 CHEESEFORCE

• Members

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:51 PM

Probably because, at the time he originally wrote the tutorial, newly-created maps were bugged, not showing up unless you modified the originals, thanks to some then-uneditable variables that were not given the proper values when a new map was created. icon_razz.gif

#18 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:40 PM

All right. Let me try to clear this up. In 2.11b12d this is how you get the large map to work:

Set you large map "element" where you want it, but make sure it isn't behind anything first of all. So, this means, if you're using a "custom map" via Tile blocks, place the map block over it. Now, in the attributes tab, check them all (Large, Show Map, Show Link etc.) Now, go into color, and set the room color, that is, if you want them to show up, which you may not if you're using the tile bocks. If that's the case, you may just want to check "Show Link", and "Large". Actually, I'm not sure what "Large" does, but check it anyway icon_razz.gif; and Link's color (This is the color for the little dot that shows him. I think, if you use C-set 6, it will change with his tunics).

Uhg. I hope that helped. Atleast, that is how I got it to work in the classic set.

#19 Johan

Johan

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:43 AM

Currently this is a really poor guide. It's hard to understand and there are no screnshots. I hope a better guide will be out some day.

#20 shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:04 AM

at least someone is trying to make one...
and i'm sure it's helped a few out so far, so...

he is trying to help others, so if anyone can do a better guide then by all means...

#21 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:09 AM

I've updated the guide. A better explanation of the Line element has been added, and also, WORD WRAPPING!! Both thanks to Radien

#22 Stungun

Stungun

Warrior of Light

• Members

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:11 AM

Never fear, Stungun is here, with hs long-winded, rambling explanation on the magic gauge pieces! XD

Each piece is assigned a value which tells it which container it represents. The 'Container' gauge, when adding a piece, is where you set this value. Pretty much, the pieces would traditionally be represented in this fashion, along the passive subscreen:

M123456789

M: A minitile showing the beginning of the meter.
1-9: The containers, labelled for their container number. (Why am I using container 9? Because something has to be there to show the 'cap' if we have 8 containers - explained later.)

Note it is possible to have different images for different segments of the magic meter, have copies of segments, and copies of segments with different images. So a Zelda 3 magic meter would be like this:
MM

Where the red numbers are a copy of the tiles used on the black pieces, but flipped horizontally.

Anyway, the 'active' parts of the Magic Meter body are made of 32 minitiles. Each minitile indicates a different 'filling level' of the segment. They're laid out like so in the tilesheet (each number representing a MINITILE, mind you, and a hyphen being minitiles ignored):
32- 0 1 4 5 8 9 12131617202124252829
- - 2 3 6 7 101114151819222326273031

(It helps if you are looking at the already existing magic meter tiles in any given ZC quest while thinking of this.)
Each number being a minitile, and 0 being empty, 32 being full. Understanding that concept, when the minitile is set to "32" and the "MOD" check box set, it does the rest. If that meter segment is full it shows the minitile at relative position 32; Half full it shows relative position 16, an eighth full it shows position 4, etc etc.

Now, when adding a magic gauge piece to a subscreen: There are four minitile selections onscreen, each with a 'Mod' checkbox. If the "Mod" checkbox is checked, then the meter piece when under that condition will obey the rules shown above, seeking ahead up to 31 minitiles depending on the fullness of that container; Otherwise it will just show that one minitile you selected. If you're smart enough you can make some clever representations of your Magic Meter.
Each minitile selector represents a different condition for the appropriate piece/container:
1. Not Last is what is shown for any magic containers that...aren't the last one. If you have five, this applies to containers 1-4.
2. Last is shown for the last magic container you have; If you have five, this applies to 5. Simple as that. This can be a different tile if you want the last magic container in the series to look a bit different, such as the last few pixels slanting off a bit before the cap. (If you do change it this way you will have to have another copy of all 32 of the minitiles for this, mind you)
3. Cap is simply what it shows if you don't have that many magic containers. If you have 5 containers, 6 will show the 'cap' minitile. As a rule of thumb, you shouldn't check the 'Mod' box for this.
4. After Cap is what is shown if 'Cap' has already been shown. If you have 5 containers, container 7 and beyond will show as this static minitile. As a rule of thumb, you shouldn't check the 'Mod' box for this.

Q. How do I get the 'half magic consumption' minitile to show up?
A. I believe it has to do with the 'show' listbox setting 1/2. However, I'm not sure entirely on how it works.

I believe, barring the 1/2 icon, the Life Gauge piece behaves in the exact same way - except for the fact that the Life Meter pieces of course track Life. If this is possible...it'll allow us to have much more detailed like meters. Possibly even ones that track an eighth or sixteenth of a heart!
EDIT: They work the same way, except... there are 17 minitiles instead of 33 for the heart gauge pieces. Because heart containers increment the counter by 16, hearts are watched in sixteenths.

I'm pretty sure that's a good enough explanation... I hope it's understandable.

Edited by Stungun, 14 September 2006 - 01:02 PM.

#23 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:49 AM

Uh, I guess I'm just a big retard but I cannot figure out how to add a custom backround for a subscreen. Anyone kind enough willing to help me out?

#24 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:35 PM

That would be a tile block, or a series of tile blocks, each made to a lower priority to the rest of the subscreen

#25 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:51 PM

Updated the guide again. A new trick for 'highlighting' items or item positions once you get that item has been added

#26 tlseward

tlseward

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 21 November 2006 - 04:16 AM

Gashin, now you've given me homework to do! Thanks
Tom icon_naughty.gif

#27 gannon2191

gannon2191

Junior

• Members

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:05 AM

um... how do you apply the subscreen to game?? ive made two, and i want to use them....

#28 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:09 AM

If the subscreen has been made in the actual editor, it should be applied automatically.

#29 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:52 AM

You can use the Dmap editor to select the Subscreen that you'd like as your active or passive subscreens. I think it's in the appearance tab. You can also select your master subscreen from one of the menus.

#30 gannon2191

gannon2191

Junior

• Members

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:47 PM

ok, so that works, but also, the heart container piece thingy is showing up as a random cycling of tiles!! How do i fix this?? icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users