Themes: Going Forward

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

This is very important guys, since some of my themes in the past have been criticized, despite me being transparent with my plans in a previous topic. I figured it's very important to discuss themes again. So listen up! Or not, it's up to you. lol

Due to previous polls, it's very apparent to me that themes are something that people do want. They don't want to see themes going away any time soon. Recent history has actually even made me want to abandon themes in the successor. Despite the positive reception my themes list received (posted below), there are some specific themes, like Holiday, people were not happy with. In the quote below, you'll see the current themes list that I've been using since I started EotM. Now I am asking for feedback on this list so I can make improvements with it in the future so we can avoid making themes that people are not interested in participating in.  

Despite these drawbacks, I've decided I will be continuing themes in the successor of EotM, and hope to provide a updated theme's list that people are in more of favor of. I'm also contemplating on continuing the idea of themes being a requirement or not. Abandoning the requirement will let people submit whatever they want regardless of themes. In other words, the theme itself can be optional. This was an idea brought up to me by a staff member that I really liked, but I would also like to hear community input on this idea as well. 

That said, here's the current (and maybe outdated) themes list: 

Here's a quick update to display a list of themes that will now be featured in Enemy of the Month. This list was constructed by taking all the themes that were previously visited through the history of EotM and breaking them off into two main categories.

As many of you are aware I discontinued the old "Special Theme" that was normally used to feature No-Limit enemies and have now made No-Limit a theme in itself. The purpose of this is to make the Special Theme now more of a category than a theme. We will now be releasing EotM in two categories: 

Normal Themes:

These themes will be your more common themes that feature many of the types of enemies you'd expect to see in dungeons or overworld settings. They are selected to be easy to work with and will therefore be the most common themes you'll find in the contest as of this day forward. 

- No Limit
- Forest/Nature
- Fire/Lava
- Water/Ice
- Earth/Desert
- Dark/Haunted
- Light/Sky
- Futuristic (*Note: Replaces Technology and Outer Space.)
- Human (*Note: New Normal Theme for Human, Human-Like, or NPC type enemies.)
- Basic/NES (*Note: New Theme to encourage non-scripters to participate in a fairer setting.)

Special Themes: 

These themes are more specific and are more geared towards fans who want to keep the contest interesting. We will sparingly use these themes to shake things up a little from time to time. Because of the rather specific nature of this theme, we won't be using these very often. These themes could include but are not limited to:

- Over the Top (ex: Things like Bullet Hell, Explosions, etc.)
- Holiday (ex: Christmas, Halloween, etc.)
- Mixed Themes (ex: Fire & Water, Sky & Ice, etc.)
- Specific Colors (ex: Gold, Green, Red&Blue, Shades of Grey, etc.)
- Off the Wall (ex: Creative, joke or troll enemies.)

In conclusion, we hope this gives fans of EotM some transparency of future plans as far as themes are concerned. As time progress we may add some changes to this list, but for now I feel this is a competent list that should feature the types of enemies that people want to design. 

Since this topic post was actually pretty well received and nothing here was criticized, I felt it was okay to go forward and discuss this today.

Granted, I'm not entirely certain I had this topic even open for discussion before because it is a locked topic. I figured now will be a good time to put this topic post up for review and discuss which themes included here are themes people still do like, and which themes people really do not like going forward. I will take everything said, and after a few small discussions, update the themes list to your satisfaction.

But I cannot do this without some level of transparency and honesty. So please post here and let your voices be heard. 

#2 Dimentio

Dimentio

Beware false Gollabs, who inwardly are Moral Conflicts

• Members

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:52 PM

I think Holiday themes and Color themes should be removed, Holiday moreso. I think Holiday themes could have potential, but past contests have shown that they are never easy to design around as nobody plans on having a Christmas or Thanksgiving area in their quest, meaning they have to make something directly for the contest (something only a few designers have time for) or reskin one a completely unrelated enemy to fit the theme. I think a good question to ask yourself for themes, is "can you see your average questmaker making something based on that theme for their quest?".

#3 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

JMC

• Members

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

I'd like a theme where the winner of the last contest gets the choose the theme for the next contest, It would get interesting :)

• Anthus, Shane, NewJourneysFire and 1 other like this

#4 Avaro

Avaro

Quest maker

• Members

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

I think basic & NES themes could go away, those are just confusing. Personally I don't need themes at all, even though I see the appeal. I like the idea of optional themes too though. Or how about giving out like 3 themes and then entrants can choose 1.

Edited by Avataro, 08 January 2018 - 01:53 PM.

#5 Anthus

Anthus

the wild-eyed boy from freecloud

• Forum Moderators

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

My two cents: Ax the Holiday, Human, and NES themes. I'm not against themes, but I think having a smaller pool of broader of themes will yield more creative results. All of the nature/ "pokemon"/ element style ones could be put together, or you could pick three (fire, electric, and technology) or something. Potential list of themes that include all the other stuff you listed (and this is just an example to show to my point): Nature/ Elemental, Technology, Character enemies, etc.

I also like Joel's idea. That reminds me of what S:CA did. Maybe don't always do it, but it could be interesting to have some winners come up with the next theme.

• Avaro likes this

#6 Avaro

Avaro

Quest maker

• Members

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

Actually, the last NES theme contest was one of the highest entered ones apparently. I still find that theme confusing, but that's something.

• Anthus likes this

#7 Anthus

Anthus

the wild-eyed boy from freecloud

• Forum Moderators

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:27 PM

I like the idea of the NES theme at face value, and yeah, that is interesting. It had a problem in the old style, where if you had to adhere to it exactly, it could be limiting, but if this new iteration of the contest lets entrants forgo the theme all together, it could be fine.

#8 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:44 PM

Instead of having themes; maybe you could post up a series of prompts.
These prompts would simply be points of inspiration. You don't have to follow them, but they are there to draw inspiration from.

• Anthus likes this

#9 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:12 AM

To keep things simple, I removed the emphasis on special themes and thus removed all sub-categories. Special still exists, but it'll now just serve as that "when no other theme applies" category per se.  It can also be used to shake things up a bit.

Despite popular request, I feel the NES/Gameboy theme should stay for a little while longer to see how they do. It was a well received theme as far as submissions go, but that's not to say it will continue that success when revisited in the future. But it's worth revisiting at least once more in my opinion. For those of you who are confused about what this theme means. It typically means non-scripted (or lightly scripted) enemies which serve to allow non-scripters more accessibility. Accessibility is afterall one of the reasons this contest is being build from the ground up in the near future. 

Themes:

- No Limit
- Forest/Nature
- Fire/Lava
- Water/Ice
- Earth/Desert
- Dark/Haunted
- Light/Sky
- Futuristic
- NES/Gameboy (*Note: Theme to encourage non-scripters to participate in a fairer setting.)
- Special (*Note: Exclusive unique themes / Winner Chooses Theme / When no other theme applies)

I also like to make note, based on some feedback, that themes will no longer be mandatory. They'll be used as points of inspiration, but please don't feel obligated to limit yourself to specific themes. 

Last but not least, with the birth of the new contest, be prepared to see revisiting themes. I will be revisiting most all of the themes we've already covered in EotM, this is especially true now that I've tried to push as much creativity out in 2017 to have unique themes before recycling old ones and as a result people are starting to grow tired of special themes. 

Please provide feedback and let me know how you guys feel about these changes. 

#10 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:49 PM

Assuming there are no complaints, I'll close this now. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users