If you're not using a global script, that means that the script can only operate during the frame you press the button. That means (assuming I'm remembering correctly):
- You won't be able to add in a cooldown, so you can use the candle as fast as you can press the button, and Link will keep his shield out.
- You can mess with the fires' positioning, speed, sprite, and damage when you make them, but fire always stops after a set amount of time and you won't be able to change that.
- You can count the fires on screen and prevent the candle from being used if there are too many.
So with no global you're limited to something like that, but that also means it'll be dead easy to write the script (like, 5 minutes?). So, if you want to list out exactly what you want (like 3-way, or 3 in a row, and how many fires on screen at once) I can write something up real quick for you.
Other cool stuff that would be possible:
- Make the first fire purple and stronger, and then if any fires already exist you shoot a normal, weaker flame.
- Fire one big fire forwards and two smaller ones diagonally forwards.
- Add a bit of randomness to the fire's speed and direction if there's already one on screen, so if you repeatedly tap the button you get something like a cone area flamethrower effect.