A Link to the Past Randomizer

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:14 PM

I just started playing this yesterday, after finally deciding to try it out. I was apprehensive at first, cause my biggest fear was getting stuck really late cause I missed "x" item in that one chest in that one cave, somewhere. Well, that fear is put to rest, cause the Randomizer program creates a "spoiler" text file that tells you the location of everything, if you so need. It is formatted smartly too; you can simply look at the names of the items, and ignore the locations, except for the specific one you need, but be warned, some are quite vague, unless you have encyclopedic knowledge of this game.

This small thing makes playing it a ton of fun, otherwise, I would have never, ever guessed the Lamp was in Misery Mire, and I probably would have given up, as I wasn't fully thinking outside of the box yet. This game intends for you to enter the Dark World early and use whatever items you can find, and they are everywhere! I found the cape, and hookshot in Hyrule Castle, Sahasralah gave me the Quake Medallion, and the shenanigans continue to ensue. Also, there's a high chance a small chest might have a full Heart Container, since those are random too. It uses the Japanese version, with a few other hacks. Mainly, it removes a LOT of text, and fixes some other issues that may have caused a softlock in a normal playthrough, and you don't need the Lamp to see in dark rooms, etc.. I'm.. not sure if I can link to it here, cause it does technically generate a .srm (but not a ROM?) file, but hey, you know what? You can get it here, YOLO BAN ME!

Has anyone else played this? I feel like there was an LP, or a stream, but there's no dedicated thread for it here. Share you seeds! Too bad I can't cause I didn't save it before closing the program. Just kidding, I found it: C0682318. I will probably play this a few times. 

• Neppy, nicklegends, Eddy and 1 other like this

#2 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

I watched Projared's playthrough of it and seems like fun. And according to the some of the comments in those videos, the randomizer was programmed to never allow a dead save file, means you will never get stuck because you didn't get the items you needed to progress.

Edited by Norzan, 04 May 2017 - 08:59 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#3 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:22 PM

Don't forget to get the boobies seed from The Satellite.

#4 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:59 AM

The randomizer application was succeeded by this web version that is more frequently updated: http://vt.alttp.run/ (it requires you to provide your own Japanese v1.0 ROM file).

A lot of features are configurable. Click "Generate Randomized Game" at the top of the website (towards the left) to begin. You can switch the website to a dark theme if you have User Styles add-on installed in your Firefox web browser and install this theme: https://userstyles.o...izer-dark-theme

An Enemy Randomizer is also available at https://zarby89.github.io/Enimizer/ (it requires ROM's that were randomized by http://vt.alttp.run). It supports boss randomization.

Questions/Support/Bug reports can be directed to this Discord channel for Randomizer, Enemizer and Entrance Randomizer: https://discord.gg/dWHeMqy

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 28 June 2017 - 10:44 AM.

• Rambly and Anthus like this

#5 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:16 AM

I've played a few runs of this in the past but never finished one since I kinda lost interest at times when I could no longer find an item. Actually had no idea a spoiler text file existed, so maybe I could pick it up again and get help from that. From what I did play though, it was a very solid randomiser and I had a lot of fun.

#6 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:02 PM

Don't forget to get the boobies seed from The Satellite.

bewbs. But yeah, I'd like to hear the story behind that. :P

The randomizer application was succeeded by this web version that is more frequently updated: http://vt.alttp.run/ (it requires you to provide your own Japanese v1.0 ROM file). Their experimenting with randomizing which enemy spawns at each location as well as other stuff now.

A lot of features are configurable. Click "Generate Randomized Game" at the top of the website (towards the left) to begin.

That's pretty cool, actually. I noticed that in the JP version, some of the enemies are different (for example, the blue bulblin* outside of the fortune tellers hut in the darkworld is red in the JP version, among a few others). Randomizing the enemies would be a really interesting twist. What would make it absolute madness is if the boss enemies were able to randomly spawn in place of regular enemies. I have a sneaking suspicion that would cause performance issues though. :P

Someone needs to make a ROM hack where you fight Mothula, Blind, and Moldorm all in one room. Ooooooh yeah.

I've played a few runs of this in the past but never finished one since I kinda lost interest at times when I could no longer find an item. Actually had no idea a spoiler text file existed, so maybe I could pick it up again and get help from that. From what I did play though, it was a very solid randomiser and I had a lot of fun.

Yeah, like I said, that was why I put it off for so long. I was just super bored after beating Conker, and I deiced I'd try it out and I was very pleasantly surprised by that feature.

* I know that's not what they're really called here, but...

#7 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:07 PM

boss randomization (even between boss rooms) is unlikely to happen any time soon. Lots of technical issues surrounding it.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 28 June 2017 - 10:43 AM.

#8 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:16 PM

bewbs. But yeah, I'd like to hear the story behind that. :P

Something about the way seeds are numbered, I believe they came across one numbered 8008135 and decided they had to play it.

• Anthus and Ammako like this

#9 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:34 PM

I had actually held off on making a thread about this simply because I didn't realize you still had to upload your own JP 1.0 ROM to the site in order to generate a seed. It seems on my end it saved that upload or something, because I never had to upload the ROM again on that browser; on a different one, though, it asked me to. So I suppose that makes it a little more fair game, just no one ask for or share the JP 1.0 ROM. :P

If you've been paying attention to my stream, stream thread, or stream announcement thread, as well as a post or two elsewhere, you know I basically thrive off this thing. So many streams, so many runs, so much enjoyment/rage/etc. Have a 43-video playlist. That's every Randomizer I've ever done, with the exception of the one I just completed and will upload tomorrow. From my original slow run on V3, to multiple runs on V6 and V7, to many more on the new VT, I've done a lot.

I don't enjoy their standard rules though. I always play custom seeds because I don't like swords being in the pool and I don't like the idea of "progressive" items; that is, you can't get Titan's Mitt before Power Glove, Mirror Shield before regular shield, Gold Sword before Master Sword, etc. I turn those off as well. I also tend to turn on the pyramid fairy upgrading bow but putting silver arrows in the pool anyway just for fun; I can find them as a neat reward or I can upgrade them if I don't. I'm good at fighting Ganon without arrows, though, so it's not necessary I upgrade them. If I have Tempered Sword at that point, I just don't bother with upgrading arrows if I don't find them myself.

Also for fun, I like to put in what I call the "trifecta": One green rupee, one single arrow, and one single bomb. Just a silly thing.

But yeah. I enjoy this thing. As for the "boobies seed"... it was a thing I did way back in V6 with two friends of mine. Back then, seeds were formatted as "C#######," so I suggested "C8008135" to be immature. It... turned out to be a great seed. We did it again in V7. Have yet to try again on VT, but seeds are done differently now. I think "8008135" will still work as a seed, we'll have to check. Yes, it's immature, but I mean sometimes it's alright to be.

• Neppy and Anthus like this

#10 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:49 PM

Yes, the website will save the ROM in to a local cache on your PC so that you don't have to re-submit it to the website each time you visit it. All randomized ROM files will be derived from this cached copy.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 04 May 2017 - 09:49 PM.

#11 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:58 PM

I added a link to the Enemy Randomizer to my first post. An "entrances randomizer" is in-development as well though I think it is at a much earlier stage of development than the Enemy Randomizer. This will basically randomize which interior each entrance will take you to.

The Item Randomizer at http://vt.alttp.run/ will also allow you to play the game without having to do the Rescue Sequence at the start of the game.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 07 May 2017 - 12:08 AM.

#12 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:28 AM

This is a wonderful thing, it really is. I have played through a couple of times, and it just brings a sense of freshness to the game, and leaves you wondering what you'll be able to do, and where you'll find the next item. I am highly intrigued by this Enemy Randomizer, as that would be pretty great to see what type of craziness can come of it. Also, Nicholas Steel, that "Entrances Randomizer" sounds pretty interesting, and I will surely be looking forward to that.

#13 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:38 AM

They've added a "Goals" option to the Randomizer now. There are now three goals: "Defeat Ganon," "All Dungeons," and "Master Sword Pedestal." I think from what I heard, All Dungeons is functionally the same as "Defeat Ganon," and is kind of in beta. Master Sword Pedestal is just collect the three pendants and go to the pedestal; it'll warp you to the endgame. I really like this one and it's just different enough to feel refreshing, so I can do those on occasion to put off some of my fatigue from all the other regular Randomizers I've done. It's nice.

They did make one change to the logic I'm not a fan of: Apparently it's possible to not find the book until after the pedestal, meaning that, if you're not like me and don't keep swords in their normal spots (but shuffled among each other), you may not even be able to read the pedestal until after you already have the item for it. For example, let's say book is in Swamp Palace, but flippers are at the pedestal. Technically, such a thing should be rare, but the fact they intentionally made this possible kind of annoys me greatly. It's completely unfriendly to the player and only strengthens my decision to not shuffle swords into the pool.

• Rambly likes this

#14 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:57 AM

They've added a "Goals" option to the Randomizer now. There are now three goals: "Defeat Ganon," "All Dungeons," and "Master Sword Pedestal." I think from what I heard, All Dungeons is functionally the same as "Defeat Ganon," and is kind of in beta. Master Sword Pedestal is just collect the three pendants and go to the pedestal; it'll warp you to the endgame. I really like this one and it's just different enough to feel refreshing, so I can do those on occasion to put off some of my fatigue from all the other regular Randomizers I've done. It's nice.

I don't know for sure (I don't keep tabs with the randomizer community like I used to), but I'd hazard a guess that All Dungeons is primarily there as a contrast to Defeat Ganon for glitched logic.  All Dungeons isn't so different from Defeat Ganon without major glitches, but with OoB stuff it's significantly different.

Edited by Rambly, 08 May 2017 - 04:00 AM.

#15 Ammako

Ammako

Initiate

• Members

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

I watched Projared's playthrough of it and seems like fun. And according to the some of the comments in those videos, the randomizer was programmed to never allow a dead save file, means you will never get stuck because you didn't get the items you needed to progress.

lol that's what made me find out that ALttP randomizer was a thing, actually :D
Always funny to me how he refers to Rupees as "dollars" that it's rubbed off on me and now I call rupees dollars too.

Can't say I'm unhappy about the trend of bringing randomizer out to more and more games outside of Pokémon.
I like randomizer, lets you replay this game over and over, yet every playthrough is different. You get to really test your knowledge of the game; whenever you get an item you have to think about how many areas it opens up for you to check and which, according to everything you currently have on hand, in case you can find an important item in those places.

Yeah I guess it might not be as fun for those who aren't as knowledgeable about the game, but... I guess that's an incentive to play vanilla more and become an expert. :P

Edited by Ammako, 17 May 2017 - 04:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users