Photo

Screenshot of the Week 385

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 385 (38 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

Ventus
IPB Image
Am I messing around? or is it something else?

Marco
IPB Image
Advance, ADVANCE, ADVANCE!

Shane
IPB Image
Block puzzles "block" Link's progress!

King Aquamentus
IPB Image
Wait wut

#2 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:36 AM

Would have voted for King Aquamentus if I didn't enter, and look out Link the octorok is eating the Triforce! Now let's just hope this SotW contest doesn't get to overworked up over a joke shot.

Also Marco, dat Link. ^^

Edited by Shane, 22 October 2012 - 12:38 AM.

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:45 AM

Ventus - The biggest complaint here I have are the cloud shadows. Some are just too close to the ground, which makes it look as though they're right within your reach; depending on how high this area is, that isn't realistic, and it hurt the perspective a bit. Good shot otherwise, but I'd fix that; the dissonance between shadows is kind of... disorienting.

Marco - Good shot, though I couldn't tell where Link was until I looked closer. There's something off about the house's perspective too; the roof seems very flat.

Shane - Voted here, it's an appealing dungeon shot and while I normally tend not to vote for them, it's the best of the bunch, no errors, everything seems great. The palette's nice too.

King Aquamentus - Pretty legit shot, very amusing, and one of the more unique shots I've seen in a while. icon_thumbsup.gif (This is not sarcasm, by the way.)

#4 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:30 AM

Ventus: Princess Zelda teasing Link? Solid shot but the lake doesn't allow much room for maneuverability. It may seem fine from the design standpoint, but it really restricts Link's movement and is something that irks me. If it is shallow water, then the colour should be lighter. And like TS said, the cloud shadows are inconsistent with the height. Either put the clouds at a consistent height or adjust the size of shadows for the height (Smaller = Higher) and put the bottom edge of the lake up by one tile. 6/10.

Marco: A remake of an OoS screen? Anyway, solid shot but the house bugs me, especially the roof. Not detailed enough unlike the rest of your tileset. Give the roof tiles more details and perhaps reduce the size of the house by shrinking it one or two combos to the left or right. 6/10.

Shane: Pretty good dungeon shot and I like how the vines are randomized on the walls. Nothing to really criticize here, but I would appreciate a subscreen and actually seeing Link in the shot. Still, enough to get my vote. 7/10.

KA: Legit? Yes. Funny? No. Seriously, Jokeshots are NOT funny. Unranked.

Edited by Orin XD, 22 October 2012 - 03:30 AM.

#5 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:22 AM

Ventus:
Very simple, but not bad. The main thing I'd comment on is that those clouds are reaaaallllly low. Since this is just modified Classic, why'd you hide the subscreen?...

Marco:
Ahh, quite nice. Slightly old-fashioned, but fairly solid all-around. It's still a town shot, but at least it's a little unique.

That brick pattern looks familiar. Is that from one of my tilesets? It's a very simple texture, though, so I might just be mistaken. Oh well...I'm just curious. icon_smile.gif

Shane:
Looks nice, though there is apparently no Link to speak of, nor subscreen. Is Link hiding in the doorway?...

Dang dark palettes. icon_neutral.gif I'm guessing you're using Main Palette colors and 8-bit mode for the torches and stained-glass windows. Might I suggest using a translucent layer to put a halo of light around each torch? You could also have light shining down from the windows, but that's a little bit tougher, and perfectly optional.

King Aquamentus:
"PureZC Quest"... UR DOIN IT RONG

I voted for Marco's because it's slightly more solid than the other contender, Shane's. Marco's also has a nice, well-designed subscreen.

#6 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:56 AM

Link is hiding underneath the door way indeed, heh, I apologize for that. I have plans for the subscreen, so hopefully my next SotW entry will show it.

Thanks for the feedback, this dungeon will be remade (all though I do like the design of this room, so I might keep it) and all criticism will be taken into consideration when we reach the point where we remake it.

#7 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Aww man, I didn't get a shot in this time. icon_razz.gif

Anyways, the best shots are between Marco and Ventus for me, but I think Marco's shot was just a tad bit better. icon_smile.gif

#8 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

It's all Shane's fault that I voted for him! icon_razz.gif

#9 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

No sir Radien sir. I edited GB brick tile to create that brick layout.

For those who haven't guessed quite yet, my screen is the northwest most screen in Horon.

Ventus: Your screen is designed properly overall, but it lacks an umph in it. I feel the monotone green shade on the mountains throws it all off, otherwise I love the screen.

Shane
: Wonderful layout. My only complaint for the screen is the blues seem to throw off and contrast too much, I think one more shade of blue in the tiles would harmonize it all.

Kin Aqua: Joke shots are unoriginal now. We must hang you now.

#10 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

I voted for King Aquamentus just to make Orin angry. OK, so that's not the reason, but I did vote for King Aquamentus. It's seriously a great shot. I don't get why people get all butthurt over joke shots. They're no worse than mock-ups and if done well like this one actually take a lot of effort to put together. That is assuming he actually made that palette and didn't use photoshop. 9/10

Ventus: It would be an okay screen if it weren't for the flying footballs...icon_shrug.gif 5/10

Marco: The walkway tiles pop out too much. Also minus ten points for flip right facing slash rule. 8/10

Shane: Are you even still working on this quest? I remember you showing me this screen like a year ago...vines don't quite look right. 7/10

Edited by Moosh, 22 October 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#11 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Oct 22 2012, 10:41 AM) View Post

Also minus ten points for flip right facing slash rule.

IPB Image

Link did a spin attack

#12 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Oct 22 2012, 11:41 AM) View Post

I voted for King Aquamentus just to make Orin angry. OK, so that's not the reason, but I did vote for King Aquamentus. It's seriously a great shot. I don't get why people get all butthurt over joke shots. They're no worse than mock-ups and if done well like this one actually take a lot of effort to put together. That is assuming he actually made that palette and didn't use photoshop. 9/10

Ventus: It would be an okay screen if it weren't for the flying footballs...icon_shrug.gif 5/10

Marco: The walkway tiles pop out too much. Also minus ten points for flip right facing slash rule. 8/10

Shane: Are you even still working on this quest? I remember you showing me this screen like a year ago...vines don't quite look right. 7/10

I did make the palette. It'd be too easy to photoshop. look closely and you'll notice repeating patterns of tiles.

#13 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

Moosh:

QUOTE(Shane @ Oct 22 2012, 08:26 PM) View Post

... this dungeon will be remade (all though I do like the design of this room, so I might keep it) ...

I appreciate your criticism and all but can you tell me at least why the vines don't look right to you? Is it because how bright they are and dark the walls are? Because the walls are being planned to be brightened up.

#14 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

Why enter something that you know is just gonna be heavily edited, and for matter, made better? icon_shrug.gif

#15 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

Ventus: I like your shot overall, but it took me a moment to realize what those white things actually are. Like TS pointed out, some of the shadows are too close to the clouds and it creates a very weird perspective.

Marco: Very nice shot. Autumn palettes are always nice, in my opinion.

Shane: This is a pretty badass shot. No complaints here.

King Aquamentus: DO YOU THINK THIS IS SOME KIND OF GAME SOTW IS SERIOUS

Nah, I voted for King Aquamentus because it caught me off guard and gave me a good laugh. Everyone should keep up the good work though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users