Photo

Screenshot of the Week 381

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 381 (40 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:49 PM

Supindahood
IPB Image

Keiichi123
IPB Image
Link explores through the catacombs of The Temple of Courage in search of a powerful relic.

Shane
IPB Image
The Floodgate Keeper's House

Guardian
IPB Image
I like mountains.

#2 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

I lost.

Who's Supindahood? icon_lol.gif

#3 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:02 AM

Guardian won my vote, it has the best overall design and colours.

#4 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE(Keiichi123 @ Sep 9 2012, 11:52 PM) View Post

I lost.

Who's Supindahood? icon_lol.gif

I came up with the "Past Nicks" section of peoples profiles for just this reason.

It was a toss-up between Supindahood, and Keiichi for me.. but I am gonna go with Supindahood.

#5 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:59 AM

Wow, the first two shot blew me... away. Cool to see a coloured version of Yoshimi's stuff (I assume Supindahood is Yoshimi? EDIT: Wrong, it was Gonken). Anyway, my vote had to go there. Big props to Keiichi as well, and to be honest both Shane and Guardian have pretty solid shots for their respective tilesets... we're just bored with them now. icon_shrug.gif

Edited by NoeL, 10 September 2012 - 04:04 AM.

#6 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:24 AM

What do you mean by "we're just bored with them now"?

Edited by Shane, 10 September 2012 - 04:38 AM.

#7 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:35 AM

Supindahood Gonken:

Very nice shot. This may sound weird, but I like how the stick in the water draws your attention to the center of the screen. Since in ZC the "camera" doesn't follow around your main character from moment to moment, it's good to have a central focus in the middle. The stick and the waterfall may or may not be relevant, but it is a central obstacle so it works well.

Very nice graphical quality. It looks like you're using a lot of Hylian Phoenix graphics, and I'm assuming this is not the actual quest The Hylian Phoenix, since Migokalle has renamed that project to Inferno... unless, of course, he bequeathed the title to you.

Keiichi123:

This is a decent screenshot, but you've shown quite a number of screens using this dungeon set, and I'm starting to become a little numbed to it. Most notably, if I'm left to compare it to your previous screens, it seems cluttered and cramped due to the extremely narrow floor borders against the grating and the water.

Also, laying down water in that CSet makes it blend in with everything else. Does your quest use the DoR palette structure? If so, why not use CSet 4?

Breaking to quote NoeL...
QUOTE(NoeL @ Sep 10 2012, 01:59 AM) View Post
Wow, the first two shot blew me... away. Cool to see a coloured version of Yoshimi's stuff (I assume Supindahood is Yoshimi? EDIT: Wrong, it was Gonken). Anyway, my vote had to go there.

Heh, I had assumed it was Migokalle given the tileset.

Yes, the "past nicks" field is useful, Rydia, but without any clickable nick we need to do a member search for a specific member's profile in order to turn up that information. icon_shrug.gif

QUOTE(NoeL @ Sep 10 2012, 01:59 AM) View Post
Big props to Keiichi as well, and to be honest both Shane and Guardian have pretty solid shots for their respective tilesets... we're just bored with them now. icon_shrug.gif

Yes and no. I'll give my critique now to say what I think.

Shane:

This is what I could call a nice "real estate shot," meaning it effectively sells the screen as a nice location, but it doesn't really say anything about what it's like in the quest. I can assume that Link must either swim or slog through a swamp to get here, but there are no enemies, no NPCs, and nothing to interact with... and also, the subscreen is cut out, which is one less potentially interesting thing to look at.

It's a nice use of its tileset, and the lesser-used trees and purple rooftops are nice, but as a screenshot it just isn't very exciting.

Guardian:

Yep, I can see you like mountains, and you must be especially enthusiastic about mastering the difficult task of laying down DoR mountains correctly. Seriously, I see absolutely ZERO tile placement errors in this shot, and that's an accomplishment with zig-zagging LttP-style DoR mountains. Given the inaccessible ledges, I can tell that you were having fun challenging yourself while laying them down. icon_smile.gif

However, the problem is that you've gotten a little too preoccupied with them. Heck, I've done it before, too. icon_razz.gif Aside from the mountain eye candy, there's not much in this screenshot. Just an L-shaped walkable area, with some water, a rope bridge, Link standing in one place, no enemies/items/puzzles, and a default subscreen.

Still, you're doing a lot right. Keep up the good work, indeed. But don't be afraid to make your mountains simpler so they won't distract you from the elements the player will actually be interacting with. Eye candy will only distract the player for a short time in ZC, since the graphical capabilities are very rudimentary compared to modern gaming systems, even within 2D.

...Yeah, I tend to have too much advice ready when I see DoR screens. Sorry; it comes with the territory. icon_neutral.gif

#8 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:47 AM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Sep 10 2012, 02:59 AM) View Post

Cool to see a coloured version of Yoshimi's stuff

Actually, most of the tiles are made by me and Linkus. But you are right, Yoshimi started MotM and the tiles were made for it.

QUOTE(Radien @ Sep 10 2012, 04:35 AM) View Post

Very nice graphical quality. It looks like you're using a lot of Hylian Phoenix graphics,

I don't think we are using any. :D

Edited by Supindahood, 10 September 2012 - 05:51 AM.

#9 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:55 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Sep 10 2012, 08:05 PM) View Post

Shane:

This is what I could call a nice "real estate shot," meaning it effectively sells the screen as a nice location, but it doesn't really say anything about what it's like in the quest. I can assume that Link must either swim or slog through a swamp to get here, but there are no enemies, no NPCs, and nothing to interact with... and also, the subscreen is cut out, which is one less potentially interesting thing to look at.

It's a nice use of its tileset, and the lesser-used trees and purple rooftops are nice, but as a screenshot it just isn't very exciting.

Yeah, this swamp is basically like a maze. What would be your first objective is to find the Floodgate Keeper's House, get the Floodgate Key off of him and open the floodgate that hides Level 1. Nothing to flashy since this would be an early location.

Heh, speaking of subscreens, wait until you see what I have requested for LoL. I'm sure you'll like it. icon_smile.gif

#10 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE(Supindahood @ Sep 10 2012, 12:47 PM) View Post

Actually, most of the tiles are made by me and Linkus. But you are right, Yoshimi started MotM and the tiles were made for it.

I don't think we are using any. icon_biggrin.gif
U STOLE MY GAEM!!

Technically, all we're using is The Hylian Phoenix-graphics. More on that later, I suppose. icon_razz.gif

#11 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Sep 10 2012, 04:35 AM) View Post

Keiichi123:

This is a decent screenshot, but you've shown quite a number of screens using this dungeon set, and I'm starting to become a little numbed to it. Most notably, if I'm left to compare it to your previous screens, it seems cluttered and cramped due to the extremely narrow floor borders against the grating and the water.

Also, laying down water in that CSet makes it blend in with everything else. Does your quest use the DoR palette structure? If so, why not use CSet 4?

Actually, that's only the second shot I've showed of this dungeon and the first shot I showed was over a month ago. But you are making sense when saying, "it seems cramped". It is cramped. But since I'm just so nice, I'm going to keep it that was so people are knocked into the icky green water icon_lol.gif

As for the color of the water, no other Cset looked good for me. And since water reflects colors, it only makes sense that the water is going to be a bluish-green as the dungeon walls are icon_razz.gif

Edited by Keiichi123, 10 September 2012 - 03:04 PM.

#12 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

Really good shots this week! Jared's just seems too empty to vote for. On the flip-side Keiichi123's seems too cluttered (although it's a really good shot). I really like Shane's shot; it has a lot of atmosphere and sense of location although in the end I voted for Gonken. It's just truly a great shot, very good esthetics, feel, and pallet.

#13 jerome

jerome

"Ducks eat for free at Subway"

• Members

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:07 AM

I voted for Supindahood or whatever name you go by. icon_smile.gif

#14 Obderhode

Obderhode

There is great power in knowledge.

• Members

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

Wow, that shot is amazing Supindahood! Haven't seen that tileset used anywhere else and it looks great. icon_smile.gif

#15 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:48 AM

QUOTE(Supindahood @ Sep 10 2012, 04:47 AM) View Post
Sorry for the misunderstanding. You guys all blend into one icon_razz.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users