Photo

Screenshot of the Week 371

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 371 (57 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:27 AM

Nolornbon
IPB Image
While exploring the evil world of Ulntauza, Link found a horrific sight; the corpse of a gigantic elven princess! Link swallows hard and enters the hellish place. Inside, he finds that it has been made into an unholy temple with lots of lava pools. He also sees the ghost of the princess herself, who is only a little taller than him and is named Elandra.

Octorockoncrack
IPB Image
Our hero clings to life after being defeated in battle...

William
IPB Image
Consider this my official resignation. For those of you wondering, this is a remake of the first screen I ever made on ZC some four years ago, entered in SotW 222. Thanks for the memories, PureZC. :-)

Dragonite
IPB Image

Marco
IPB Image
West Horon Village. Cookies if you recognize the screen area.

Artistic
IPB Image

Ventus
IPB Image

Jared
IPB Image
In a new light.

#2 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:45 AM

Woo! Lots of shots this week. icon_biggrin.gif

Nolornbon:
I like the general symmetry of the screen, though the lava feels like sort of an afterthought. It's a tad cliche and a bit odd as placed on the middle layer of the area.

Octorockoncrack:
Dark, murky, unappealing colors applied to an unremarkable screen. Sorry, not a fan. icon_frown.gif

William:
I like the updated classic feel of the shot, but I find the shadows a bit overdone. What is casting them? Clouds?

Dragonite:
A bright, simple, cheery screen with good design. Nice.

Marco:
There seems to be some tileset confusion going on, especially with the trees. Besides this, it's a pretty solid screen. I like the smoothness of the shoreline.

Artistic:
Are those Legacy of the Wizard tiles? I'm not sure, but they really don't fit with the rest of the screen. The brown mixed in with the mountain tiles also looks dirty. icon_unsettled.gif

Ventus:
Hey, I recognize this shot. Good use of classic. The screen doesn't try to do too much, yet it's sufficiently detailed. Pretty decent.

Jared:
You have the best colors by far, though the screen isn't particularly interesting in its design. Don't get me wrong; I'd be thrilled to see screens of this quality in a quest, but it doesn't hold its own as a shot of the week.

I vote for Dragonite.

#3 Artistic

Artistic

Warrior

• Members

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE(nicklegends @ Jun 18 2012, 12:45 AM) View Post

Woo! Lots of shots this week. icon_biggrin.gif

Artistic:
Are those Legacy of the Wizard tiles? I'm not sure, but they really don't fit with the rest of the screen. The brown mixed in with the mountain tiles also looks dirty. icon_unsettled.gif

Thank you for your comment. icon_smile.gif No, there not Legacy of the Wizard tiles. They are tiles that are in zquest with the rest of the classic tiles when you open it up. They are in the section under the heading of "Barriers, Warps, Sideview". I just put them together like that to make the shop. I didn't do anything to the tiles. Oh! I did make the chimney top though and recolored them for 8 bit even though you can get about that color with 4 bit cset 3.

I'll probably change the brown in the mountains make it the same color as the ground.

I null my vote.

#4 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

I voted for Issac... Dragonite (joke aside) icon_razz.gif.

I said it before. It's a very excellent pure shot. My only gripe is that Link is so hungry that he doesn't like to eat style-clashing Octoroks.

#5 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

Wow. There are a lot of shots, and they all look great!

Nolornbon: I really like the layout and the palette of this shot. Of course, I'm always a sucker for GB shots. The only thing I don't understand is how one is supposed to open that treasure chest.

Octorockoncrack: This is a really unique shot, and I love it. The mountains at the bottom of the screen provide an odd perspective to me, and it looks unnatural that the tree trunks are underneath it.

William: This is an incredible editing of the Classic tileset. It took me a minute to realize that the light blue stuff was water, as it's not usually that color, but the shot as a whole is very easy on the eyes.

Dragonite: While I don't like the octoroks, this is a great shot.

Marco: Beautiful. This shot looks very natural, especially with the variation on the beach tiles.

Artistic: I love the color changes you've done with the Classic set, as well as what I believe are mushrooms. They actually blend well with the set (as do the ground tiles, while I'm at it), but the black outline on the tiles looks odd in comparison. If you can get them to look that way minus the outline, it would look perfect. I can see what you were going for with the bricks, but the top of the shop looks like it's at the same angle as the entrance.
EDIT: Forgive me, are those bushes and not mushrooms? The flowers in them threw me off. No offense intended.

Ventus: Wow. I'm not a very big fan of your subscreen, but I love what you're doing with the Classic set here. The colors are vibrant but still reflect the nature of the original LoZ.

Jared: Very nice. A great shot, as usual.

I had an extremely hard time choosing this week, but I think I'm going to have to vote for Ventus. I always love seeing the Classic set manipulated it new ways, and this one caught my eye the most.

Edited by Hergiswi, 18 June 2012 - 04:00 PM.

#6 runaru

runaru

:3

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him, They / Them

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

I just had to vote for Nolornbon,because I like GB tiles so much icon_smile.gif

#7 Artistic

Artistic

Warrior

• Members

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE(Hergiswi @ Jun 18 2012, 03:56 PM) View Post

Wow. There are a lot of shots, and they all look great!

Artistic: I love the color changes you've done with the Classic set, as well as what I believe are mushrooms. They actually blend well with the set (as do the ground tiles, while I'm at it), but the black outline on the tiles looks odd in comparison. If you can get them to look that way minus the outline, it would look perfect. I can see what you were going for with the bricks, but the top of the shop looks like it's at the same angle as the entrance.
EDIT: Forgive me, are those bushes and not mushrooms? The flowers in them threw me off. No offense intended.

Thank you for your comment. icon_smile.gif First off no offense taken. They are bushes, they are the ones that come with the 2.5 builds. I just recolored them for my 8 bit. It is funny I do have mushroom in my quest though. icon_smile.gif

Sorry! but I'm not sure what black outline your talking about. If it is the outline of the mountains I didn't put it there but I'm not sure if I can get rid of it but I can try. If it is not please tell me what black outline your talking about so I can fix it. Sometimes I need a picture to understand what someone is talking about. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Actually I was amazed that the shop went together so nice without doing anything but recoloring and making a chimney top. I was trying not to modify the tiles too much. But I do agree with you. I do think the roof is to flat it looks like it is just there and the door seems to be too flush with the outside.

EDIT: The colors of the ground, trees, bushes, grass and the green in the mountain are from Theryan palette from his new quest. Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by Artistic, 18 June 2012 - 10:07 PM.

#8 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE(Artistic @ Jun 18 2012, 06:18 PM) View Post

Sorry! but I'm not sure what black outline your talking about. If it is the outline of the mountains I didn't put it there but I'm not sure if I can get rid of it but I can try. If it is not please tell me what black outline your talking about so I can fix it. Sometimes I need a picture to understand what someone is talking about. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Your wish is my command!
IPB Image
The red arrows are pointing to the bushes with black outline around the leaves of the bush, where the blue arrow is pointing to the bushes without an outline around them. I think your bushes actually look good with the classic set, but the edges of classic tiles tend not to have a black outline around them like modern tilesets do.

#9 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

Voted for Ventus. Just really like the vibe I'm getting from it, I think I'm just in a nostalgic mood though.

Considered Jared too, since he's one of the only people I've seen use the SD3 grass correctly. Anyone who wants to use DoR should really study that screen, at least in particular to its mountains and grass.

#10 Artistic

Artistic

Warrior

• Members

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE(Hergiswi @ Jun 18 2012, 06:26 PM) View Post

Your wish is my command!
IPB Image
The red arrows are pointing to the bushes with black outline around the leaves of the bush, where the blue arrow is pointing to the bushes without an outline around them. I think your bushes actually look good with the classic set, but the edges of classic tiles tend not to have a black outline around them like modern tilesets do.

Thank you for your answer. icon_smile.gif I didn't put the black around those bushes when I recolored them. I just recolored the green to a different shade and the red to a slightly different shade and the trunk. That is the way they are outlined in black. I always thought there was something I didn't quite like about them . Now I know! I just didn't notice it until you pointed it out. Will differently try and fix that.

#11 vravelo

vravelo

I was killed a lot""---, try me now..!

• Members

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:51 PM

I vote for Artistic !!
-
-
Well .... there to many good ones -- some screen looks familiar to me for just Its design
-
this one from Artistic is promising icon_rolleyes.gif

#12 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:04 AM

There's too many for me to individually comment on at the moment, because this is a rare instance where every shot is really good, so instead, I'll get straight to the one criticism I feel I should point out: Artistic, the perspective on that house feels off; it looks flat. The plain bush does seem a little out-of-place as well, but otherwise, nice job.

My vote goes to William. It was good having you around, and we'll miss ya, man. icon_smile.gif

(To clarify: His leaving does not affect my decision. His I feel is the most unique and the best departure from the norm. And it's a well-done shot to begin with.)

#13 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

Nolornbon - Voted. I like the palette and symmetrical layout of this screen a lot. I don't think the lava placement is an issue at all.

Octorockoncrack - The palette is the biggest issue on this screen, The white and gray on the trees have too low contrast, the blue tree look a bit weird when the lightest shade is a green. Just give it a bit more contrast I guess. Layout is fine. :)

William - Looks like a good screen to me, the shadow overhangs may be a bit too much. Make it less / make more room for the light.

Dragonite - Design here is very good, however the Octoroks should change to anything fitting the style a bit more. I commented on this already in the screenshot thread, by the way.

Marco - Some things in this screen are good, like the shore layout and palette, but I don't like to that everything is put in the middle of the screen like that, it usually doesn't work very well. :s

Artistic - Great design, the orange color on the mountains need to appear more however, they're kind of merged into the green. The house may not be my favorite, but it's better than any other house I've seen in classic.

Ventus - Typical and good screen, no complaints. :)

Jared - Great layout, a new -probably custom palette should make this screen a lot better. Right now its the usual DoR with a boring (in my opinion) palette.

Voted Nolornbon.

Edited by Gonken, 19 June 2012 - 08:21 AM.

#14 Artistic

Artistic

Warrior

• Members

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(vravelo @ Jun 18 2012, 11:51 PM) View Post

I vote for Artistic !!
-
-
Well .... there to many good ones -- some screen looks familiar to me for just Its design
-
this one from Artistic is promising icon_rolleyes.gif

Thank you for your vote and comment. icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jun 19 2012, 02:04 AM) View Post

There's too many for me to individually comment on at the moment, because this is a rare instance where every shot is really good, so instead, I'll get straight to the one criticism I feel I should point out: Artistic, the perspective on that house feels off; it looks flat. The plain bush does seem a little out-of-place as well, but otherwise, nice job.

My vote goes to William. It was good having you around, and we'll miss ya, man. icon_smile.gif

(To clarify: His leaving does not affect my decision. His I feel is the most unique and the best departure from the norm. And it's a well-done shot to begin with.)

Thanks for pointing that out to me. icon_smile.gif I might see what I can do about that. That plain bush might be a secret type bush. icon_wink.gif Thank you for saying that I did a nice job. icon_biggrin.gif

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

It could be like Hergiswi said: The black outline, when things in the Classic set tended to not have black outlines. I'm kinda curious to see how it looks without an outline now. icon_heh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users