Photo

Screenshot of the Week 370

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 370 (48 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

Ventus
IPB Image
Link is traversing the forest tower, will he make it?

Marco
IPB Image
True Classic Designing

Gonken
IPB Image

#2 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

I voted for Gonken.

Ventus: First and foremost, that LTTP chest looks horribly out of place in the Classic Tileset. Those diagonal floor tiles don't seem like they fit for some reason, but other than that, not too bad.

Marco: Yes, original NES Zelda screens were boxy and plain, but even with that, you don't have to have the boxiness. I could forgive the emptiness with Classic, but boxiness I didn't even approve of on the NES.

EDIT: First icon_awesome.gif *shot*.

#3 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

A Preview of the grass that I and Linkus recently updated for MotM. I nulled, anyway:

Ventus: I like the idea of a more open and elevated Z1 dungeon. But it is a bit messy with all the different floors types and scattered objects. Good anyway. :>

Marco: Looks like a simple screen, however classic designing is square and straight, and most things are symmetrical.

Edited by Gonken, 12 June 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#4 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE(Gonken @ Jun 12 2012, 03:41 PM) View Post

Looks like a simple screen, however classic designing is square and straight, and most things are symmetrical.

Wut. Please explain how that is NOT.

#5 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE(Marco @ Jun 12 2012, 03:44 PM) View Post

Wut. Please explain how that is NOT.

Well your screen of course works, but If you want to design like classic Z1 you don't scatter objects the same way. Compare with a few Z1 screens and you'll see. ^^

#6 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

I see your point however, if you go to the lost woods and the eastern woods you will see a section with trees scattered in line patterns.

#7 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(Marco @ Jun 12 2012, 04:00 PM) View Post

I see your point however, if you go to the lost woods and the eastern woods you will see a section with trees scattered in line patterns.

Yep, they are scattered in line patterns, but the lines all have a structure rather than being completely scattered.
But let's not go off-topic now. If you wish to continue discussing this we can do it in PMs. :)

#8 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

Gonken's got a nice, dingy, old-school feeling to his that resonates with me. He earns my vote easily.

#9 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

Gonken wins.

Have a good day icon_smile.gif

#10 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:02 PM

Ventus N/A
I won't tell myself anything icon_razz.gif

Marco 8/10
I like how this screen looks very classic. Not really a lot to say about it.

Gonken 7/10
Looks amazing but I would Like to see some color on this screen icon_razz.gif I mean I don't have black&white Computer monitor so I would love to see some color icon_wink.gif

(I nulled)

Anyways It was a alright turn out this week, But as it seems Gonken has all of us beat, so congrats icon_razz.gif.

#11 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:25 AM

Voted for Gonken though the bottom of the screen is a bit repetitive.

#12 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:43 AM

Voted for Gonken. His shot was the only one that I had no major issues with.
Ventus: I have a problem with your choice of flooring. First, your bottom floor. You have wall tiles that gradient all of the way to black, yet you use the same flooring there as on the the middle floor. Use diffrent floor tiles instead for the bottom. The diagonal flooring tiles on the middle floor also look weird. I say to replace them with the standard LoZ tiles you used on the same floor. The walls for the middle floor (the standard LoZ walls) don't mesh together well in the way you used them. The tops of the LoZ walls are there for a reason. Use them. The top flooring also doesn't help either.
Marco: Yes, I know LoZ was bland and repetitive, but that is no reason to do the same here. Add some more ground details, replace the small trees with large ones around the edges and make it less boxy.

#13 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:36 AM

Ventus: 7/10

The concept idea and shape design is quite unique. icon_smile.gif My only complaints is only how you used the walls and the color of the tree trucks.
The screen certainly has potential though. icon_thumbsup.gif
    Marco: 5/10

Looks quite faithful to the original if you ask me. icon_smile.gif All though Z1 only used the dirt specs in the desert region. That's my only complaint.
Other then that, Z1-styled screens are not exactly SotW worthy since classic design looks kinda boring when you compare them to other tough entries. icon_sorry.gif
    Gonken: 9/10 Voted

Very nice choice of tiles and design. icon_smile.gif I still love the 4 shade concept and how the tiles look like they're from MC. icon_thumbsup.gif
I like the new grass but am I the only one that feels they are slightly noisy? icon_blink.gif

#14 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:28 AM

Thanks for the support everyone. icon_wink.gif

QUOTE(Ventus @ Jun 12 2012, 07:02 PM) View Post

Looks amazing but I would Like to see some color on this screen icon_razz.gif I mean I don't have black&white Computer monitor so I would love to see some color icon_wink.gif

The quest is designed around being black and white.

QUOTE(Evile @ Jun 13 2012, 12:25 AM) View Post

Voted for Gonken though the bottom of the screen is a bit repetitive.

I wanted to break it, and I will look into that.

QUOTE(Shane @ Jun 13 2012, 01:36 AM) View Post

Very nice choice of tiles and design. icon_smile.gif I still love the 4 shade concept and how the tiles look like they're from MC. icon_thumbsup.gif
I like the new grass but am I the only one that feels they are slightly noisy? icon_blink.gif

Thanks, the grass borders are made by Linkus and the grass details by me, I think they look great.

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

Ventus - A really great shot, my second favorite of the bunch. The only real issue I see is that I can't tell if the section in the top left corner is elevated or lower than the ground next to it. Otherwise, good work. icon_smile.gif

Marco - It looks fine, can't really find much to say about it.

Gonken - I voted here; monochromatic work has always been appealing to me for some odd reason, especially if it's done well, and this is definitely done well. The design, the subscreen, all of this is pretty damn good. Nice job. icon_thumbsup.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users