Photo

Screenshot of the Week 368

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 368 (53 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

Dragonite
IPB Image
Link enters Floria Town.

Hergiswi
IPB Image

Marco
IPB Image
Artificial habitat

Shane
IPB Image
Link is going on yet another grand adventure to restore the stolen light!

Artistic
IPB Image
This place looks peaceful except for the Peahats.

Nolornbon
IPB Image
A young woman by the name of Nikki is on a quest to save Link from certain doom. This quest has taken her into the depths of Nymph Garden, a subterranean forest that is of decent size. A mighty Guard Darknut notices her and attacks her. Will Nikki survive this epic battle?

#2 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

Dragonite: It would be a decent screen but it didn't quite make it. The right of the screen seems smooth, simple. The contrasting loud grass detail and water do not blend well. There is just a bit too much detail used in this screen . 3/10

Hergiswi: What. 10/10

Shane: Marvelous! I love those enhanced LttP shrubs and tress. The color palette harmonizes the entire screen. 8/10.

Artistic: The right half of the screen is surreal and wonderful. The mountain shades bring it out more, creating a fantasy adventure feel. You nailed the use of the classic mountains as well. However, those custom tiles are horrible. The perspective, colors, shades and so forth ruin the entire screen. 3/10

Nolornbon: Im lost in the perspective, repetitive dull colors. I see realistic trees thar....clashing with everything ever created. I cannot find a single compliment for this screen. 0/10

Edited by Marco, 28 May 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#3 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

Dragonite: Pretty good, but not incredible. The water looks a bit odd in comparison to everything else. The giant rock atop the mountain looks a little weird to me, but I like it as much as I dislike it. A solid screen, though!

Hergiswi: I'd suggest adding some trees and a bit more ground detail, as well as some variation in the water/mountains. Keep it up!

Marco: Very pretty, but not really anything we haven't seen from you already. The design and colors are nice.

Shane: Your tileset is really coming along! This screenshot seems the most solid, so my vote went here.

Artistic: A little busy, and the custom times look as though they clash a little, but I've no real complaints. Nice work.

Nolornbon: I think it needs a lot of work, but I actually like the concept. The forest in the background sort of reminds me of Tales of Phantasia for whatever reason. However, the perspectives are a little off.

Nice shots this week, all!

#4 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE(Adem @ May 28 2012, 08:59 AM) View Post

Marco: Very pretty, but not really anything we haven't seen from you already.

So from now on, am I to be completely original in EVERY submission? Holy cow, BOTH shane and Dragonite posted pics they flooded the quest project screenshot thread with. They are using the near or exact copy of the screens shown. I mean, everyone (in this Sotw) uses a common tileset with or without slight alterations. For the matter, everyone uses a tileset and thus your statement is hypocritical. That just pissed me off.

Oh but thanks, I think the colors used are splendid.

Edited by Marco, 28 May 2012 - 10:05 AM.

#5 Mister Snooze

Mister Snooze

Paladin

• Members

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

Artistic - I chose this one because it has originality. She made her own rocks, gate, door and window etc. it wasn't just 'copy and paste'. I do agree that the colors could have been more vivid maybe just changing the background (make it solid green) would accomplish this.

#6 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(Marco @ May 28 2012, 11:03 AM) View Post

So from now on, am I to be completely original in EVERY submission? Holy cow, BOTH shane and Dragonite posted pics they flooded the quest project screenshot thread with. They are using the near or exact copy of the screens shown. I mean, everyone (in this Sotw) uses a common tileset with or without slight alterations. For the matter, everyone uses a tileset and thus your statement is hypocritical. That just pissed me off.

Hang on a sec. That's not at all what I meant. icon_neutral.gif I was simply stating that, while still visually appealing, the screenshot looks very similar to a lot of your past submissions. That's not a bad thing, but I just wasn't as impressed as I have been with past entries. Maybe I could have worded it better, and I apologize if I offended you. icon_confused.gif But I simply gave my thoughts, as I did with all of the other screenshots. Maybe other people have literally seen the other screenshots before, but I haven't, and I'm allowed to like them as much as I'm allowed to like yours. I don't want to derail this thread, so please PM me if you have anything else to say.

#7 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

I voted for Artistic! Tis be a wonderful classic shot. Difficult choice it was, this week though. :o

#8 Artistic

Artistic

Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

Thank you all for your comments, it really helps decide on what to do with the quest. I did think it was a little to busy myself, my other screens aren't so busy. I was trying to keep the same colors that are in nature or in real life in my quest.

I made the rocks, window, door, door top, gate, pathway, roof tiles out of existing tiles that are in the "Sideview Backdrop" section in zquest. I either just recolored the tiles like in the roof tiles, door and one pathway tile or recolored and altered them like in the rocks some pathway, gate and window. I made new shoreline tiles out of the existing shoreline tiles.

I null my vote.

#9 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

icon_smile.gif

Really nice work from Artistic icon_thumbsup.gif icon_thumbsup.gif so my vote goes to that one!

Only why thing i got is that red bush?

Edited by judasrising, 28 May 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#10 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

Voted Artistic. icon_razz.gif
The water caught me directly.

Edited by Gonken, 28 May 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#11 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

Dragonite: I think it's really good, but agree that the water is pretty bad, could use some work. But excelent design. 7.5/10

Hergiswi: A bit on the empty side icon_razz.gif -10/10 X -10 to the power of 10

Marco: Nice graphics, but not to interested in the space theme. 7/10

Shane: Brilliant. I think It's pretty much perfect in my eyes. The forest bush is used so well, it looks magnificent. I would change the door color to blue or something. It makes the house just look, drab. 9.5/10 *Votes*

Artistic: Brilliant! No idea what else to say but brilliant! 9/10

Nolorbon: Perspective is all out of wack. I see what you're trying to do, but unfortunately, the tiles are being used wrong. 4/10

#12 arieltap

arieltap

Adept

• Members

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

Dragonite: Peaceful feel; nice shoreline; good color blending.

Hergiswi: A bit bland; don't like red wall border. But there's definitely promise in the composition.

Marco: First impression -- interesting, otherworldly theme. Outer space might not have such crafted boulders. Of course, there's a lot to be said for the fine mix of tech and nature.

Shane: Altogether -- very nice!

Artistic: Difficult choice with the classic-custom tileset! I like the 3D water perspective. All in all a very good first effort!

Nolornbon: Strange hybrid of photo inset. Doesn't really work for me.

#13 vravelo

vravelo

I was killed a lot""---, try me now..!

• Members

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

For Artistic and Artistic only ... C'uz I can't make anything like this ...so great icon_thumbsup.gif icon_thumbsup.gif 2 tumbs up

#14 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(Marco @ May 28 2012, 09:25 AM) View Post

Hergiswi: What. 10/10

Thank you, I think.
QUOTE(Adem @ May 28 2012, 10:59 AM) View Post

Hergiswi: I'd suggest adding some trees and a bit more ground detail, as well as some variation in the water/mountains. Keep it up!

What exactly do you mean by "variation"? Serious question, not a snide remark.
QUOTE(Keiichi123 @ May 28 2012, 02:23 PM) View Post

Hergiswi: A bit on the empty side icon_razz.gif -10/10 X -10 to the power of 10

Thanks, that's really constructive.
QUOTE(arieltap @ May 28 2012, 02:24 PM) View Post

Hergiswi: A bit bland; don't like red wall border. But there's definitely promise in the composition.

Fair enough. That's the border color in Oracle of Seasons, which is sort of what I'm modeling my quest after, so I just just chose that one.

Nolornbon, I saw one of your shots in IRC and I've been meaning ask you about those real tree tiles you're using. I've never seen anything like it before. What gave you the idea?

Edited by Hergiswi, 28 May 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#15 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE(Hergiswi @ May 28 2012, 05:03 PM) View Post

Thank you, I think.

What exactly do you mean by "variation"? Serious question, not a snide remark.

Thanks, that's really constructive.

Fair enough. That's the border color in Oracle of Seasons, which is sort of what I'm modeling my quest after, so I just just chose that one.
Nolornbon, I saw one of your shots in IRC and I've been meaning ask you about those real tree tiles you're using. I've never seen anything like it before. What gave you the idea?

I got the idea from the fan game Mushroom Kingdom Fusion (the realistic background originated from an image I took with my own camera.) I felt that doing something like that would make the dungeon I am working on more memorable.

Would the background be better if it had more color? Would the dungeon's structural elements be better if they were colored grey or brown? As for perspective; if I had to draw tons of new tiles, the dungeon would take quite a while to complete. icon_worried.gif

What if I had used the Dance Of Remembrance tileset instead? Would realistic backgrounds go well with it? I would think so.

Edited by Nolornbon, 28 May 2012 - 05:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users