Photo

Screenshot of the Week 364

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 364 (48 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

IPB Image
A peaceful island.

Dragonite
IPB Image
Link travels through the haunted forest.

Shane
IPB Image
Mainly a concept/test shot for my game's tileset built from a blank quest file.

#2 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

I voted for Shane. I just freakin' love that palette. icon_smile.gif If you cancel this quest, it will be all Tiny_Shane's fault.

Avataro - Very clever island shot.

Dragonite - Just another forest shot. Nothing wrong of it, but it's all been there, done that.

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

Avataro - This reminds me of old-school computer games for some reason. It looks interesting, for sure; this is Island Adventure, correct? I'll definitely have to try it out soon.

Dragonite - It's a nice shot, but I wouldn't put down grass detail in the bare green areas on every square; a little discretion should be used there. Then again where I'm used to those, it's in the ALttP set, where it's acceptable to have large spaces of bare green. I've never really tried it in other sets in a while. Oh, and those three trees next to each other on the underbrush in the top left? Those look a bit odd, but otherwise, good shot.

Shane - Voted here. The design itself is very evocative of ALttP, and I like that. And I don't just mean the graphics. One thing though, I'd be careful not to saturate the ground with grass detail too much, same as I said above to Dragonite, but otherwise, it looks good. icon_smile.gif

#4 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:36 AM

Avataro: VOTED Known water and chunky stones ready my eye to see something usual then BAMM there are the 1x1 big palm trees and house, making the impression that this is a world map. This has so great Classic feeling, there's so wonderful mood, I just had to...

Dragonite: OK. What else to say, I wonder... I sure would like it better if the top left trees weren't so grid-aligned to each other and something vertical broke the left half of the screen's big open part. I guess you don't want dirt paths, but you could make up for it by putting patches of grasses that carry over to neighbouring screens. I think I don't like the palette...

Shane: Nobody can go wrong with (anything that looks like) LttP. The mountain tiles are superb and amazingly, their layout is awe, too. For added fun, the ground grass is greatly distributed on the... ground. I feel like playing through that screen with side scrolling, pick-up-able stones, small stones in the ground, wooden fence, LttP crab enemy (32x16) and LttP crow. I just don't like those trees, I STILL prefer the LttP originals even after this long time.

#5 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:44 AM

To get it out of the way... My is simply a concept/test shot as it says in the caption. It features all the tiles I had at the time. And mainly I entered because I wanted SotW to have more then just two entries.... Well anyways I'm going to reply to the comments above, then comment on the other two shots.

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Apr 24 2012, 11:50 AM) View Post

I voted for Shane. I just freakin' love that palette. icon_smile.gif If you cancel this quest, it will be all Tiny_Shane's fault.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Apr 24 2012, 11:58 AM) View Post

Shane - Voted here. The design itself is very evocative of ALttP, and I like that. And I don't just mean the graphics. One thing though, I'd be careful not to saturate the ground with grass detail too much, same as I said above to Dragonite, but otherwise, it looks good. icon_smile.gif

Thanks, giving it a ALttP vibe was my intent! I'll keep the detail suggestion in mind when I start actually developing. icon_smile.gif

EDIT:
QUOTE(CastChaos @ Apr 24 2012, 04:06 PM) View Post

Shane: Nobody can go wrong with (anything that looks like) LttP. The mountain tiles are superb and amazingly, their layout is awe, too. For added fun, the ground grass is greatly distributed on the... ground. I feel like playing through that screen with side scrolling, pick-up-able stones, small stones in the ground, wooden fence, LttP crab enemy (32x16) and LttP crow. I just don't like those trees, I STILL prefer the LttP originals even after this long time.

Thanks for your feedback too! I feel opposite about the trees, I love them and give a "altered ALttP" feel, which is what I'm aiming for. Also I'm planning to add fences and rocks (pick up-able and throw-able most likely.) to my quest's tileset of course.

hr[/hr]

Avataro: First and foremost I need to get this out of my system: I admire the graphical style and concept of the game. Secondly, did I mention I loved the graphics and concept of the game? icon_razz.gif

Dragonite: This is your best pure remembrance screen. Quiet, dark and not to mention scary looking adds to that haunted feel.

I nulled sadly, both too good to pick which one was the best.

Edited by Shane, 24 April 2012 - 01:52 AM.

#6 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

Shane...make this quest!

#7 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Interesting screen. I have a question though. Are all tiles in the set you are using 1x1? It does present size difference limitations like classic does, but if that is the case, not much you can do about it I guess. It would be interesting to see what a larger version of those trees would look like.

Dragonite - A-
I like these deep forests that well depict the darkness within them. You pull it off nicely.

Shane - A-
I love the graphics, the coloring, and the design. It feels a bit incomplete, considering it was from ZQuest and not the player, but your caption clearly tells of that. I certainly like where you are going with it, and because it brings something new to the table, you get my vote.

#8 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

Voted for Avataro because Beaches are awesome. icon_biggrin.gif

#9 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Its eh?. Its not very much too look at, at all. not that interesting.

Dragonite ~6/10~
Its alright, you got the darkness just right. I liked it. But...Its just another forest shot :\

Shane ~10/10~
Okay here's a good screen. the colors is very pleasing to eyes. and it reminds me of alttp. but over all it looks great. My vote went here!.

#10 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE(Ventus @ Apr 24 2012, 08:48 PM) View Post

Dragonite ~6/10~
Its alright, you got the darkness just right. I liked it. But...Its just another forest shot :\
I know. icon_smile.gif I just sent this in to get SotW started icon_smile.gif

#11 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE(Dragonite @ Apr 24 2012, 08:03 PM) View Post

I know. icon_smile.gif I just sent this in to get SotW started icon_smile.gif

Well alright then. Still good job on the darkness of the woods icon_smile.gif

#12 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

I voted for Avataro. Not because I liked his screen the best, but because--according to the other two entrants--he's the only one that put effort into it.

I don't mean to offend anyone but receiving criticism on a shot by saying, "I only entered to get the contest started," doesn't fly with me. If there are three shots and two of them are "pity shots," then, regardless of what I think of said pity shots, I'm going to vote for the entrant who actually cared enough to put effort into his/her screen and who is actually interested in being a part of the contest. (This doesn't just apply to this past week, but Screenshot of the Week in general, so please don't take it personally.) I'll still say my piece on all of the shots, but, as far as the contest goes, I think this victory should go to Avataro.

Avataro: It's an interesting shot, but I'm a little confused by it. Are you able to enter that house? Is that poor green smiley stuck on the island for all eternity? Questions, questions. Interesting custom graphics, though.

Dragonite: I think the overhang is a bit heavy, but that's just my opinion. It's a solid forest shot.

Shane: The design itself isn't incredibly appealing (the grass detail is rather excessive), but I like where you're headed with this tileset of yours.

#13 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

Hmmm...

Nothing is really happening in any of these shots. Link is walking around in two of them, and therefore they are able to show the subscreen, too. But that's it.

Really simple screen... it's nice to see a well-thought-out subscreen, even if it's extremely simple. I see you decided to nix the mini-map, but personally I wouldn't, if at all possible... you have a lot of empty space in the subscreen; you could probably move stuff around and make room.

Dragonite:

This is a very, very standard Pure shot. It looks good, yeah. And the palette is nice. But especially without enemies, there isn't anything of note going on here. Similarly, the subscreen is complete, but mostly default, so nothing lost nor gained there.

Shane:

A well-designed screen, although it's just a walkway and some mountains and the corner of a house. There's nothing going on here... but there's very little going on in the first two entries, so that's not as much of a detriment this week.

Kudos for using all those winding LTTP Simple Mountains correctly. You've got them down perfectly. icon_smile.gif

I'm going to go with Shane, forgiving him for the ZQuest screenshot just because the other shots don't show anything exclusive to the ZC player except Link and the subscreen.

#14 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:43 AM

I see there is some slight confusion going on about my entry so please read my post as this will clarify:

Actually Nathaniel and Radien, this shot was taken in ZC but with "No Subscreen" ticked on, Link would be somewhere in the middle if I had tiles set up for him. icon_deformed.gif

Also Adem, even though I agree, I have to beg differ as I did put a lot of effort (and I mean double then my usual standard effort due to the graphics, combo-adding and then design then redesigning here and there) into my shot to make it look like what you see - I even think this is my best shot out of the many other ones I made so far. But I intended to put this only in the screenshot thread, but when I heard about the lack of entries I could see many being disappointed with the number of entries for this week. So I entered my best shot even through I wasn't planning to. But yeah I have to agree about the grass.

But thanks for the support either way guys, feedback will be taken to consideration when I start developing the actual game or/and even future concept screens. icon_smile.gif

Edited by Shane, 25 April 2012 - 02:57 AM.

#15 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:47 AM

Heh, well Shane, I hope the fact that I voted for your shot shows that I'm not THAT concerned with the lack of Link and subscreen. icon_wink.gif In your case the screenshot was taken in the ZC player, but nearly all screenshots which lack subscreen and Link are taken in Zquest, and they look like yours did. Oh well.

I definitely noticed, as I mentioned, that your mountains have no tile errors, or very very nearly so. icon_smile.gif It may have taken a long time for you to ensure that, but you've shown that you know how to manage it. If you keep practicing, you will be able to do it more and more quickly!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users