Photo

Screenshot of the Week 350

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 350 (49 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:18 AM

Alison
IPB Image
(`・ω・´)ゞ (´∇ノ`*)ノ
魚腹 ! したピット Yarg を監視しなさい !~

Hubydweyer
IPB Image
Been working on a little something, sub-screen in progress.

Rambly
IPB Image
A character sprite that I haven't come up with yet begins his climb up the frigid faberge mountain! (✿╹◡╹)ノ☆

Orin XD
IPB Image
Alundra-styled life icons, W00T!

Gonken
IPB Image
Merry Christmas!

Feenicks
IPB Image
Totally not making single screens and changing the int data to fit their eventual place in the game, nope...

William
IPB Image
Link works his way down the river during an early morning rain shower. (Dirt path, clouds, rain, ground details, water-border and cave opening all hand-drawn by me)

Norlornbon
IPB Image
Link is bored and wants to do something special for Christmas, so he visits the mayor of Hiccup Village, which is named so for the root beer in it's pub giving people hiccups. Along with the mayor's daughter, Link sees Santa Claus on the roof of the mayor's house with his flying foxes and toy bag. Have a nice Hiccup Christmas!

#2 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:05 AM

Reviews:

Lithium/Alison: One of the better ones here, done with monochrome GB. This is not brilliantly designed, but it is better than the average screen. Kudos to you for making a dungeon screen interesting. One question to ask: Why are the puddles of water here when you are Fish-Link? Seal 1 for design, Seal 2 for concept, Seal 3 for playability and Seal 4 for other asethics. 4/4 seals: Titanium seal of approval.

Ironfist/Hubydweyer: Not partictularly interesting. This feels too empty and yet it shows detail. A few bushes helps this screen a bit, but not much. No seal for design, no seal for concept, no seal for playability and Seal 4 for other asethics. 1/4 seals: Wooden seal of approval.

Rambly: Ahh... nice, pastel tones gives a calm, harmonious feel. I also like the use of a rarely-used tileset. But, why no subscreen and the odd Link pallet? Seal 1 for design, no seal for concept, no seal for playability and no seal for other asethics. 1/4 seals: Wooden seal of approval.

Myself: Yeah, Koholint winter pallet. The Life icons (termed as Life Crystals) are obviously Alundra-styled (for those who play that game), and the player sprite is Hal from my Gale of Darkness entry into Nuvo's dungeon contest all that time back.

Gonken: See Rambly, but in the MC tileset and add Seal 3 for Playability.

Feenicks: A PTUX shot, let's see... This is well constructed in terms of walkability, but the detail is poorly executed and the rain(?) obscures it. Good shot here. No seal for design, no seal for concept, Seal 3 for playability and no seal for other asethics.

William: The only nitpicks I have here is that the mountain transitions look weird and that there is no subscreen. I'd choose change the style of mountain transition if I were you. No seal for design, no seal for concept, no seal for playbility and no seal for other asethics. 0/4 seals: No seal of approval. The way the mountains transition really kills this one.

Norlorlnbon: This ties up with Alison's shot in most aspects; Well-designed and the "gimmic' really makes it shine above most the rest. Seal 1 for design, Seal 2 for concept, Seal 3 for Playability and no seal for other asethics. 3/4 seals: Iron seal of approval. I would have voted for this one if I hadn't entered.

#3 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:57 AM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Dec 26 2011, 06:05 AM) View Post

How is it not playable? Subscreen and Link not finished.

#4 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:50 AM

Alison: I'm a fan of your other GB creations, but this is just not right. I can't say what is off, but the best I could say is it's too enclosed. 4/10

Hubydweyer
: This screen is below par. The design seems very linear, and the green overwhelms the screen. It would have been better to add more contrasting colors, like those red...things. 2.5/10

Rambly: I like this shot, but I honestly feel like I have seen it somewhere else, as in it looks standard. The design and flow is nice; I just don't see any wow factor. 4.5/10

Orion XD: The palette and atmosphere is in sync with the gameplay it would appear. However, the bridge kills and clashes with the mountains, which they are too bare. 3/10

Gonken: This shot overall is the best. Yet, the browns are slightly too high in color saturation in my eye. 5/10

Feenicks: Grey, grey, and linear trees. All in the size of one screen. 1.5/10

William: No complaints. I dig the tiles, palette, and ground transitions. 6.5/10

Norlornbon: I see your overall objective in screen design, but it isn't very attractive. 2/10

I'm nulling, because most screens are crap this time around, to be honest.

#5 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:13 PM

Alison - B+
More from the PoRC barrel? Looks pretty good. I love the inclusion of the shark in the floor tiles. Almost missed that, and thus almost said "more of the same".

Hubydweyer - C+
It's not bad, but it's still very banal.

Rambly - B
A nice winter without the falling snow screen. I like how you managed to mix the white with the green well.

Orin XD - B-
Great in the ideas department having a frozen waterfall. Is it possible for our character to get knocked off this bridge? From a design standpoint, not one of my favorites, though. Too much is parallel and perpendicular, making it a little shy of natural feeling. Perhaps the south ends of those ledges on either side of the bridge could be made less straight, and thus be a great way to have a little less of the screen be dominated by cliff walls.

Gonken - A-
Very purty, as it all blends together quite nicely. Almost gave it A, but there is no sign of life from the animal kingdom. I love looking at it, but I also want to know if something like this is intended to ever be played on. Still good enough for my vote, as that deduction is still very dwarfed compared to the great effort put into the screen. Merry Christmas to you, and a Happy New Year.

Feenicks - B-
Great functionality. Okay design. Is that snow or rain falling? It looks more like rain, despite snow being on the ground. Perhaps freezing rain? I'm not against it, though.

William - A-
It looks pretty good. Great plus for using graphics I hardly ever see, and doing well with them at the same time. Love the subtle inclusion of the clouds. No doubt my second favorite of the bunch.

Norlonbon - B-
Clearly the main focus is on the unnatural elements here, although I feel as if the natural elements could be a little more supportive, such as something more creative with the trees than a tessellation of them. The snow path is nice though, but I think would be even better if it looked like it didn't lead to a dead end. As for the buildings, they seem to fulfill their purpose well. To get the feeling of woods behind the right building though, you could have pushed that building up enough to not need to make too many trees, thus leaving more room to design the village elements.

#6 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Dec 26 2011, 06:05 AM) View Post

One question to ask: Why are the puddles of water here when you are Fish-Link?

IT'S NOT FISH-LINK IT'S MERMAID-YARG IPB Image
It's just for looks though, the water is just treated like normal floor. I usually just tell myself it's water that the fish you're inside of swallowed, or stomach acid or something. I dunno it looks nice~

#7 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Dec 26 2011, 11:13 AM) View Post

Gonken - A-
Very purty, as it all blends together quite nicely. Almost gave it A, but there is no sign of life from the animal kingdom. I love looking at it, but I also want to know if something like this is intended to ever be played on. Still good enough for my vote, as that deduction is still very dwarfed compared to the great effort put into the screen. Merry Christmas to you, and a Happy New Year.

Thanks icon_smile.gif It is playable, I can upload a screen with enemies and link in action later as i'm building up the tileset. icon_smile.gif

Edited by Gonken, 26 December 2011 - 12:57 PM.

#8 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:33 AM

Voted for Orin XD. I like the idea, and the screen didn't try to do too much.

#9 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:39 AM

QUOTE(Gonken @ Dec 26 2011, 11:57 PM) View Post

How is it not playable? Subscreen and Link not finished.
QUOTE(Orin XD @ Dec 26 2011, 11:05 PM) View Post
You just misread the part about your shot. When I said "and add", I ment that you did better than Rambly's shot for plability! I guess this was one of the rare times when you misread another post icon_sweat.gif. I honestly think that it was fine for playability, and what I mean about the seals was how it stacks up against the average screens with the seal being given is it was better than the average screen in that respect. Like Radien, I would also like to see a subscreen.

#10 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:20 AM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Dec 27 2011, 01:39 AM) View Post

You just misread the part about your shot. When I said "and add", I ment that you did better than Rambly's shot for plability! I guess this was one of the rare times when you misread another post icon_sweat.gif. I honestly think that it was fine for playability, and what I mean about the seals was how it stacks up against the average screens with the seal being given is it was better than the average screen in that respect. Like Radien, I would also like to see a subscreen.

Okay icon_smile.gif Thanks.

#11 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

I'm going for Rambly's shot this time around. Quite a few good shots here. Gonken's was probably the second on my list, but people have gone a little MC-happy as of late.

#12 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE(Fausch @ Dec 28 2011, 06:10 PM) View Post

I'm going for Rambly's shot this time around. Quite a few good shots here. Gonken's was probably the second on my list, but people have gone a little MC-happy as of late.

What do you mean, MC-happy? It's growing into a new tileset use, like GB or DoR. Don't say things like that, because it makes you sound stupid. >>

#13 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(Jared @ Dec 28 2011, 05:27 PM) View Post

What do you mean, MC-happy? It's growing into a new tileset use, like GB or DoR. Don't say things like that, because it makes you sound stupid. >>

He has a right to his opinion, and frankly, it's an opinion I agree with. Also, GB and DoR aren't the only two tilesets out there. I'll leave it at that.

Just adding a note that I still really, really like Gonken's shot, for what it's worth, and that it got my vote. Don't have the energy to comment on all of the shots.

Edited by Rambly, 28 December 2011 - 06:45 PM.

#14 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

I went with Gonken. I think he pulled off the snowy look and palette pretty well.

#15 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE(Jared @ Dec 28 2011, 06:27 PM) View Post

I stated that as an opinion, not as fact, and I'm entitled to that, am I not?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users