Photo

Screenshot of the Week 316

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (51 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:54 PM

Moo2wo
IPB Image
Link wonders why Moo2wo is still too lazy to enable diagonal movement for him...

Furion
IPB Image
G e n e s i s

William
IPB Image
I used the same tileset as last week. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time this past week to make that many more updates to it.

Lynker
IPB Image
A great waterfall atop a beautiful mountain.

#2 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

All the screens are beautiful, so it was hard to choose,
but I eventually went with Lynker, because this is such a big improvement on his old screens

#3 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:11 PM

Voted for moo2oo. Great screen! Beautiful design, great detail, one of the best pure screens1 8.9/10!

#4 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:56 PM

Some Pure Remembrance love this week. I went with Moo2wo's shot. I just love how you set up the mountains.

#5 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:24 AM

Definitely going with Moo2wo! I have always loved the look of the pure tileset when it's used right! That is an impressive screenshot!

#6 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:08 AM

QUOTE(Yoshidude @ Apr 4 2011, 07:08 PM) View Post

All the screens are beautiful, so it was hard to choose,
but I eventually went with Lynker, because this is such a big improvement on his old screens

If you voted for him... how come his results are still zero O_o... yeah... Voted for Moo2wo - no contest.

Edited by Midnight_King, 05 April 2011 - 07:09 AM.

#7 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:11 AM

Lynker, your screen is not bad. I like that tileset, but Moo2wo has used a better palette and better mountain layout. And for a sotw I would use a screen with enemies.
Vote for Moo2wo, great work and funny caption icon_smile.gif

Where is the SpacemanDan vs Ebola Zaire SotW?

Edited by Avataro, 05 April 2011 - 08:15 AM.

#8 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:47 AM

Meh, voted for William. I like the tileset somewhat and it just looks good the way that it is used.

#9 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:49 PM

Moo2Woo, nothing new, but that doesn't make it bad. Especially considering how you've actually made open expanses work. In the end I voted for being the most overall pleasing.

Furion, I love it! The only thing that stopped me from voting for this is how fragmented it looks. It doesn't flow together.

William, all your screens have really bad JPEG syndrome. Use PNG, BMP or GIF. Now, onto the actual screen: I don't like the black-outlined little things...not sure what they are, but they'd go better if you made them blend in with a brown outline. Also, I wouldn't recommend putting that tree-entrance so close to the outside of the screen. Apart from that though, it's a rather pleasing screen to look at.

Lynker, you have shown vast improvement. My only gripes are how straight the mountains are up top and the little "V" of mountain tiles in the middle. Never place to corner tiles directly next to each other. Apart from that, keep up the good work!

#10 chainswap

chainswap

Initiate

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:51 PM

voted for moo2wo

i really like the screen layout and i also like how you put in a red and purple tree then you put a purple
bush and red enemies so that the colored trees would blend more for an overall nice screen XD

#11 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE(Ornlu @ Apr 5 2011, 11:49 AM) View Post

how fragmented it looks. It doesn't flow together.

Please, explain to me what you mean. I tried to maintain balance, simplicity, and size relations, so by that the screen would very much flow together. I choose only tiles which were similar to the Metroid: Zero Mission style. For all, the screen is of a comet, with a mountain-like background, followed by space on the horizon.

#12 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:29 PM

Moo2wo - 8/10
I really like what I see here. Nice ground details and overall design. All in good taste. Also love the subscreen part a lot.

Furion - 7/10
Radical for ZC, no doubt. Love the graphics. Tough to compare to the others, but I like where you are going with it. Also in good taste.

William - 7/10
Another nice classic screen. Has many of the fine trimmings possible with such a set.

Lynker - 7/10
Certainly an improvement for you. Keep it up, I say. The details are certainly good.

I like them all, but of course I had to pick my favorite, which is Moo2wo for this week.

QUOTE(Avataro)
Where is the SpacemanDan vs Ebola Zaire SotW?

It was decided that both will appear in SotM, to start to make up for lost weeks earlier in the year.

#13 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:32 PM

Also voted for Moo2Woo. Very good choice of tiles and a solid layout. I like how the screen is obviously a field shot yet still feels kind of framed. There's things I dislike, too, but it'd get into too much depth here. I'll PM you about the map anyways, so I'll cover it there.

#14 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:53 PM

Voted for William. I like seeing a Classic revival here and there.

#15 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:42 PM

Moo2wo:
I like the screen, but the top right section looks a little bare. That's just my preference, though. I'm sure others think its fine.

Furion:
I don't see a reason to have B&W if you're going to use tiles with more than 3ish shades of color. It makes it a little hard to tell what's going on at first sight.

William:
I'm a sucker for classic, and classic remakes, but I've got a few problems with this screen. First of all, the mountains are really grainy, which may something to do with the fact that your shot is a .jpg, which you shouldn't use for screenshots. Second, if you have a brown shade in your Cset, you should use it for the tree trunks. It looks awkward to use the same shade of green for the trunk as you do for the leaves. Lastly, the dirt bumps(?) look really out of place, especially on the "tan" ground. You should get rid of the black outline on them if you're using classic.

Lynker:
Good screen overall, and its improved since its first incarnation. I might add a few plants, though. Some trees or bushes.

Anyway, vote goes to Moo2wo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users