Photo

Screenshot of the Week 306

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (54 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:24 AM

Breast Cancer Awareness
IPB Image
Ebola Zaire is a fascist.

Taco Chopper
IPB Image
I love bunny rabbits, puppies, long walks along the beach...

Koh
IPB Image
I couldn't get ZC to run properly, so I ZQed it. Ronkan Valley...there used to be a great waterfall and river here...

Naldrag
IPB Image
What is this, I don't even.

Sephiroth
IPB Image
Link finds himself near a cave on a new, unknown land.

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:55 AM

Lithium: Looks like something straight out of MC. Nice.
TC: RACCOONS FTW!
Koh: One of the best LttP shots I've ever seen. Would have gotten my vote almost any other time.
Naldrag: OMG IT'S THE RACCOON AGAIN 10/10.
Sephiroth: Perfection. Nothing less. *votes*

#3 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:20 AM

Breast Cancer Awareness - 6/10
Pretty good overall. Could use a better fence and some activity from the player, though. I would have given a 7, but I took one off for it being in ZQuest.

Taco Chopper - 2/10
1 for it looking like something, and 1 for improving one of two possible tLoZ 1st quest screens. Question is: If I bomb the correct spot, do I get to play the money making game, or do I have to pay a door repair charge?

Koh - 5/10
It's an okay screen, I guess. Something tells me it could look better though. I'd be interested in seeing what it would look like in the player, with our protagonist and maybe some other organisms from the animal kingdom, but sometimes I guess it isn't meant to be. Would have been a 6 if you could get it into the player.

Naldrag - 4/10
What is this? I don't even...
I wish my carpet was always that clean, minus the effort.

Sephiroth - 8/10
One of three serious screenshots for this week, and I think by far the best among them. It's nice down to every detail.

#4 chainswap

chainswap

Initiate

• Members

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:26 AM

voted for BCA cause i just love those MC tiles

#5 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:01 AM

Voted for Sephirot's awesome screen. Well done, I like it!

#6 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:51 AM

BCA:
Not bad use of MC. I like how you used the rocks on the north end as a barrier without making it a straight line.

It seems extremely strange, though, that your answer to the screenshot problem was to rip a ZQuest snapshot back into ZQuest, and display it in the combo editor, then snapshot it again. Doesn't seem like a very effective solution.

Taco Chopper:
Uhh... is this a joke? I realize this could be a remade Zelda 1 screen (though the map cursor suggests otherwise), but even so, it'd be a pretty strange choice for SOTW. I guess I'm not going to take this entry seriously.

Koh:
Good use of LTTP! What's this for? A new quest?

Naldrag:
Well, it's a simple GBC screen with NPCs. Nothing wrong with it, but not much to say, I guess. I'd kinda rather you'd make a screen seriously, though. Not sure whether this is even for an actual quest or whatever.

Sephiroth:
This is great, despite how little is happening on the screen. I only have one qualm: why are there so many grassy tiles where one of the three grass colors is grey? In other words, if this tileset works like DoR, why are you using CSet 4 instead of CSet 3 for grass tiles? If you want greyish grass, it'd be better to edit the entire CSet 3 instead of switching to CSet 4.

Otherwise, very well-constructed.

Hmmmm, it's down to Sephiroth and Koh for me. I guess I'll go with Sephiroth since there's a little more interesting stuff going on. But next time I hope to at least see some grass-cutting or enemies. A quest is about more than than just landscapes.

#7 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:10 AM

Wow...two people voted for Taco Chopper's very bland obviously a joke screen, but nobody voted for Koh's awesome LttP screen? Well I'm sure as heck gonna change that!

#8 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:47 AM

Nulled, since I'm in it of course, but here are my reviews:

Breast Cancer Awareness: 7/10, it looks like a screen that you would see on the GBA, which is fine, but in ZC, it's never a good idea to leave open corners, and have bushes at the edge of the screen.

Taco Chopper: 1/10, guessing this was a filler entry?

Koh: Oh look, it's me.

Naldrag: 5/10, it looks like you were holding back D=! No bushes or ground detail? And why are NPC's on a stone wall?

Sephiroth: 9/10, it's a very solid shot and totally destroyed mine, but I agree with Radien, that gray grass is a tad weird.

Edited by Koh, 03 January 2011 - 07:48 AM.

#9 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:19 AM

Sephiroth destroys the competition this week...and quite possibly the world. icon_lol.gif

#10 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:44 AM

I'm gonna have to say Sephiroth, this is a very nice screen. I mean, it's not perfect, but it is very good, and I'm having a hard time actually trying to find flaws with it... yet there's something that just doesn't "click" correctly, though as I said, I can't put my finger on exactly what makes it so. Good screen though, good screen.

Taco's screen takes the cake though. Never before have I seen such amazing beauty in the world of Zelda Classic. It's almost so that I want to say that he must have used some kind of... cheat device that specializes on making fantastic screens. Action Screenplay anyone? Anyways, perfect... perfect shot, and this is where my vote would have landed, had I not accidentally clicked Breast Cancer Awareness' shot instead. If I could remove my vote and give it to you, I would, but Ryan's shot is pretty freaking great too, especially the part on the bottom of the screen with the brown line and stuff. Really brings out the colors.

Other than that, Koh's screen is definitively a lot like AlttP, but it feels a bit cramped. Not to mention the objects that are dangerously close to the edge of the screen. I've said it before, and I'm saying it again: please, at least two tiles of space between un-walkable objects and the edge of the screen, and preferably more, if possible.

#11 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jan 3 2011, 03:51 AM) View Post
Sephiroth:
This is great, despite how little is happening on the screen. I only have one qualm: why are there so many grassy tiles where one of the three grass colors is grey? In other words, if this tileset works like DoR, why are you using CSet 4 instead of CSet 3 for grass tiles? If you want greyish grass, it'd be better to edit the entire CSet 3 instead of switching to CSet 4.

Otherwise, very well-constructed.

I am using CSet 3 for the grass, however the pallete I'm using, (Thanks to Migo), has the lightest green extremely light, because this pallete was designed to be used with a transparent canopy overhead. I left out the transparent overlay for the purpose of SotW so you guys can easily see the rest of the screen.

IPB Image

#12 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

None of these besides the last one look like any thought or time was put into them beyond opening up Zc.

#13 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

Breast Canc...nay, Lithium...nay, gray0x. Meh, whatever.
Your shot isn't bad, but that vertical fence is pissing me off. Replace it with the correct one. Also, I'd recommended getting some real trees back there instead of rocks. Also, your shot confuses me, it looks like a ZQ shot was ripped into the tiles page and never progressed from there. 6/10.

TACO CHOPPER, YOU HAVE MADE THE SEXIEST SCREEN EVER...in a world of traditional classic shots, that previous statement may have been true. 2/10.

Koh, that screen is kinda pretty cramped, but really...it's not your fault, it's the fact that ALttP doesn't really work with ZC's screen size limitations. 7/10.

Naldrag, yours goes along the same lines as Taco Chopper's. No need to repeat it. 2/10.

Sephiroth, I love you. You have created something beautiful. However, I'll have to take two off because the contrast between the different grass shades makes the trees and grass seem horribly out of place. 8/10.

EDIT: Okay, now that screen is amazing, Sephiroth.

Edited by Molten Onyx, 03 January 2011 - 02:05 PM.

#14 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:26 PM

Sephirot, I like your style. Are these screens part of an actual quest and is there any change you'll make an announcement topic anytime soon? You got me interested, because it looks good. And fun.

#15 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:06 PM

I voted for Sephiroth. Very good screen with not to much detail but hey, with good tiles, anything can looked detailed.
"Breast Cancer Awareness's" is my second fave because it looks just like a screen from Minish Cap.
That's it, you stole it! He he, just kidding. Taco Chopper and Naldrag's screens are extremely empty.
Taco Chopper, the mountain is way to straight and needs more curves. And the grass needs to be twisty and
turny and needs more ground detail and if you want, trees. Naldrag, add some trees and more ground detail
and it'll be a good screen. Koh, pretty good screen that reminds me a lot of Lttp but at the same time is original
and uses your ideas.

Sephiroth: 9.410
Taco Chopper: 2.0/10
Koh: 8.2/10
Naldrag: 6.2/10
Breast Cancer Awareness: 8.6/10

Edited by cremeens1000, 03 January 2011 - 06:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users