Photo

Screenshot of the Week 287

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (53 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

Jupiter
IPB Image
Welcome this is a farmhouse. We have cluster flies alas, and this time of year is bad...

Sheik
IPB Image

Dawnlight
IPB Image
Dawnlight returning to ZC Duties?

Molten Onyx
IPB Image
Enlarged to show sexiness

Moo2wo
IPB Image

#2 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:07 PM

Jupiter: Nice tiles, but funky colours. Pretty design, though.
Sheik: *om nom nom*
Dawnlight: Beware! Teh master of Pure! o_O Ahem... That's very pretty! Me likes a lot. Maybe you should move the little rock on the south one tile higher, so it won't block you right when you enter the screen.
MO: Pretty tiles (dirstubingly smexy grass tiles you have there!), but the forest-overhang and the cave entrance on the south side kill it for me =(
Moo2Woo: Solid screen! The straight 5 tiles high mountain on the left bothers me, as does the grass on the treebrush, but I like it over all.

#3 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:31 PM

SotW! Here we go...

Jupiter: ...We are so very sorry, there is little we can do but swat them.

Sheik: I rarely like stuff in that tileset (even LA) but you make it look about as good as one can. The colors are a bit odd, as they always are in that tileset, but I think they look pretty pleasant. It's a really excellent layout, btw, it looks both natural and purposeful. Good stuff.

Dawnlight: Is the handle of that ax supposed to be buried in the grass? It's fine in either case. I like all the fairies circling the scene and am curious what is going on there. I like that palette quite a bit, the colors are very rich.

Molten Onyx: Sweet tiles! The grass and mountains are fantastic. I actually like the leafy overhang (and think the colors compliment the scene well) but I wish I saw some sort of source for them on the screen (i.e. a tree trunk). That black spot at the bottom of the screen looks like a cave, if so it's out of place, and if its a shadow it's too dark. (It's also a little on the empty side, but I think you are just starting a tileset maybe, so that may be why). Still, this is great, the tiles and layout are very pleasing.

Moo2wo: Its a solid screen. The transition between various types of grass is nice and I like the palette. I agree with Sheik about the straight mountain wall, but it's not so bad (I think simply having the wall bulge out one tile about halfway down into the watter on the leftmost column of tiles might make it look great). In any case, this is a good looking screen.

Great work all around, I like them all a good deal. icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by Jupiter, 11 April 2010 - 02:33 PM.

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:36 PM

Jupiter: Nice design, great tiles!
Sheik: Good, but it seems bland compared to your other works.
Dawnlight: You're one of those few people who can make PTUX look really good. Nice work!
MO: Great tiles and design, but it's a bit empty.
Moo2woo: Great design, great detail, all around great. *votes*

#5 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:43 PM

Jupiter: I love the houses, and think that they may fit into DoR rather well if they were used in a different palette...but that one makes them look out of place.

Sheik: Pretty basic GB screen, but I like it...especially the palette. Only thing is I've never liked seeing the aLttP bush undercombos stuck in GB. icon_shrug.gif

Dawnlight: This is a pretty cool screen, but it seems kind of empty. Add some bushes or something. Also, the purple path kind of looks out of place.

Molten Onyx: That's shading, not a cave. icon_razz.gif So far I have not edited anything, all the tiles in that screenshot are exactly as they were in Chrono Trigger (except the rocks had their colours changed slightly). The sprites were taken from CT: Crimson Echoes, and yes, they work.

Moo2woo: It seems kind of empty. Maybe add in another one of the big trees? In any case, that palette is really making me like your screen.

Nulled since I'm in it.

#6 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:44 PM

I really really like Dawnlight's screen but then again i also like Jupiter's screen...hmm tough choice. I'll think about it more later.

Edited by Christian, 11 April 2010 - 02:44 PM.

#7 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:31 PM

I voted for Sheik. Jupiter was a close second, but those houses look style-clashy to DoR.

#8 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:54 PM

Jupiter has my vote. Nice job icon_smile.gif

#9 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:04 PM

Jupiter: It looks good, but I think the houses stand out a little too much from the black outlines. I'd try to soften it up a bit.

Sheik: Good, simple and clean. The colours are nice and everything works well in it. Nice work. icon_smile.gif

Dawnlight: I really like this! The palette is really nice and the layout is very well-done. I like how the fairies are around, as though it's a kind of mystical forest or something. My only complaint is that the detail toward the bottom seems a little jumbled and that the curled plants seem kind of out of place, IMO. But other than that, nice work! *Votes*

Molten Onyx: Those tiles are really nice and the design is pretty solid. My only suggestion would be to add more to it. (Flowers or bushes, really.)

Moo2wo: A solid shot. I'm not too fond of the palette, but the screen itself looks good. Nice work. icon_smile.gif

#10 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

Jupiter got my vote, but I agree the outlines should go.
Sheik... pancake mountains... yuk
Dawnlight, clean, nice colors in a fairy garden
Onyx, like the tree tops, mtns aren't my thing but you used them well.
Moo2; nice clean screen, a little LTTP ish ;O)

#11 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Apr 11 2010, 04:31 PM) View Post

... Jupiter ... but those houses look style-clashy to DoR.

^This. At first glance it looks remarkable, but after studying it, the styles don't match and than it just bugs that crap outta me.

Sheik: I love the palette, and it's a decent shot, but I've seen a lot more creative stuff from you. icon_confused.gif

Dawnlight: Nice. Has a great, magical feeling to it and the palette is awesome. Though I do agree that the rock should be moved so the player doesn't have a "YARGWHYISTHISINMYWAYASSOONASIENTER" moment.

Molten Onyx: Those mountains don't work for me. I like the effect with the tree tops, which probably wouldn't work as well as it does without those mountains, but still. Ehhh, Not sure how to explain it.

Moo2wo: Pretty good shot, but you should add more trees (or replace the ones there with something else). With only two trees placed that far apart, it makes it look as if they were simply thrown there out of boredom. Add a couple more around them, and it'll look great. icon_thumbsup.gif

I voted for Dawnlight.

#12 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

ZOMG!! Chrono Trigger? I was going to make a Chrono Trigger concept a while ago but lacked a tileset. This is amazing. *Votes*

#13 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE(FefeRawft @ Apr 11 2010, 06:14 PM) View Post

ZOMG!! Chrono Trigger? I was going to make a Chrono Trigger concept a while ago but lacked a tileset. This is amazing. *Votes*

That's what I was waiting for. You officially made my day. icon_lol.gif

#14 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

Sheik's has the essence of Tarm Ruins which compliments Link's playing the ocarina. This mood draws me into it, and so it gets my vote. The design of the screen is pleasant in general too.

#15 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE(Blaman @ Apr 11 2010, 04:04 PM) View Post

Jupiter: It looks good, but I think the houses stand out a little too much from the black outlines. I'd try to soften it up a bit.

QUOTE(Freedom @ Apr 11 2010, 05:44 PM) View Post

Jupiter got my vote, but I agree the outlines should go.

Well it looks like a few people think this is a problem, I think that they might look better without black outlines too...but seriously, almost every object in DoR has that black outline...it seems like that is the style...and since people are really sensitive to style clashing I'm trying to stick with things that are clearly done with all the other tiles. But that said, I agree, I think they would look better without the black line too.

Edited by Jupiter, 11 April 2010 - 08:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users