Photo

Screenshot of the Week 276

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (53 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:00 AM

MrMister
IPB Image
Just another calming day at the bea- CRABS GET AWAY FROM ME!

Kenster
IPB Image

jimmyb
IPB Image
Link checks the mailbox. "Wow this is a nice mailbox."

Fausch
IPB Image

T. Platinum
IPB Image
Our hero can't shake off the feeling that he's being watched...

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:12 AM

Whao, really close call between Jimmyb and T. Platinum. Both of them are so incredibly great!

I think I'm going to have to go for Jimmyb, because it looks so natural. The rock jutting out into the water is a really nice touch.

#3 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:38 AM

Wow. I've got competition. This is the hard part about making shots with a tileset that you're building from the ground up.

Also, nice shots everyone. 'Specially T. Platinum. I like well made forest temples, so that caught my eye.

Edited by Fausch, 26 October 2009 - 12:39 AM.

#4 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:17 AM

Comments in bold.
QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Oct 26 2009, 06:00 AM) View Post
MrMister
IPB Image
Just another calming day at the bea- CRABS GET AWAY FROM ME!
My favorite of the bunch. The straight shoreline bothers me, but other than that, this is by far the best candidate. My vote goes here, obviously.

Kenster
IPB Image
This is a very boring screen. Not only does it use two different mountain tile types in one screen, which really bothers me, but the high mountain on the side is... well, way too high. The waterfall seems to be falling at a 70 degree angle, seeing as it falls into a pool of water that's a whole tile away... Of course, one could just think that the water is falling down from a rock sticking out a bit on the top, which is realistic, sure, but it just doesn't look very good in a screenshot.
jimmyb
IPB Image
Link checks the mailbox. "Wow this is a nice mailbox."
This is an okay screen. I'm not too keen on the palette, but the screen itself is pretty solid. I do have to ask however... have you tried removing the bridge? I believe the rock, or the water, will have to "cut off" at a pretty weird angle if it shall fit under the bridge. When I make bridges, I always make sure to construct whatever's under it in a way so that even though you can't see it because of the bridge, it's still there...agh, let me show you whatI mean.
IPB Image

As you can see, there's clearly a problem with the transition. My suggestion is to go back and fix it, or be lazy and just make the bridge one tile wider. icon_razz.gif

Fausch
IPB Image
Well... the palette is horrid, the tiles are pretty much annoying to the eyes and it's hard to see what is supposed to be what. I like the fact that you used those mountain tiles, cause they're awesome, and the house is okay I guess. Covering up corners is a good way to start improving the screen... and I'm sure a tree or two wouldn't hurt. I do like the fact that you made more layers of mountains, instead of just making it taller. That's great.
T. Platinum
IPB Image
Our hero can't shake off the feeling that he's being watched...

I love how the pillars are higher than the walls themselves and how there's sunshine coming through the treetops... even though it's inside. Sure, maybe there's a huge hole in the roof, or maybe there's a big window there, so that can be explained. The transparency looks pretty bad though, but that's a palette problem. Other than that, I don't like the greens you have. Okay tileplacement though...

#5 Alex-Link

Alex-Link

Alex-Link

• Members

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

My vote, unquestionably, goes to T. Platinum, that is an awesome forest-themed temple screenshot! Good job!

#6 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(Migo)

Well... the palette is horrid, the tiles are pretty much annoying to the eyes and it's hard to see what is supposed to be what. Talk to me. I've never been good at palettes... I like the fact that you used those mountain tiles, cause they're awesome, and the house is okay I guess. Covering up corners is a good way to start improving the screen...Ive never got why, but okay... and I'm sure a tree or two wouldn't hurt. I KNEW I was missing something. I don't have those in the set yet, but that'll be the next thing I do... I do like the fact that you made more layers of mountains, instead of just making it taller. That's great.

Response in bold.

Edited by Fausch, 26 October 2009 - 11:53 AM.

#7 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:44 PM

Mr.Mister: Solid beach screen. The straight shorelines are a bit of a bother, and the left side of the screen seems kinda bland. Other than that, very nice.

Kenster: It's kinda bland... And the perspective is off to me. I'd suggest taking out that mountain that's getting the water and replace it with a river or something. Also, I'd shorten the mountains considerably so that we can look at more than just mountain. Hope that helps. icon_smile.gif

jimmyb: Solid screenie. Nothing to really complain about. Good work.

Fausch: The colors are just...odd to me. Design it also a little odd and some detail, imo. I would suggest moving the water more to the left, leaving the whole right side nice and open for other things. The tiles themselves look great, IMO. Good job with the custom work.

T. Platinum: Pretty good. Some of the colors stand out way too much, IMO, and the placement is a little strange with the pillars. But other than that, pretty good.

I honestly don't know who I'll vote for this round. I'm going for jimmyb this week.

#8 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:21 PM

I voted for jimmyb this week. It looks pretty good.

#9 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:48 PM

I had to go for T., however bad the choice of tree-greens may be.

#10 Dorian

Dorian

Adept

• Members

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:55 PM

jimmyb, because I'm a subscreen lover <3

#11 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:10 PM

I feel a lot like reviewing the screens this week, since a lot of them come from people who usually do great work but feel completely uninspired this week.

MrMister - 7/10
Ah, the beach. I always disliked making beach shots due to the lack of good, realistic detail that you could put on it. After all, it's a beach. It's some rocks and sand and not much else. That being said, I think your beach could use plenty of unrealistic detail. Mixing up the shoreline would be the first step, and then maybe some extremely small grass patches would fit nicely.

Kenster - 4/10
Well over half the screen is dominated by a perfectly straight mountain and waterfall. icon_unsettled.gif In addition, there are mixed mountain styles at play here... basically, read Migokalle's comment. He really nailed it.

jimmyb - 7/10
Design-wise there's nothing bad on this screen. My only complaint is that the right plateu is wedged between the top and bottom borders of the screen, making it seem like it was "fitted," which takes away from some of the screen flow. This screen could have used a lot more detail as well. I disagree with Migokalle; if you can get away with hiding hard to make areas, do it.

Fausch - 5/10
Basically agree with Migokalle. In addition, the basic reason for covering corners is to prevent the player from walking on the edge of the screen to avoid enemies. The "screen design" reason for doing this is because it just looks better. A good screen flows to other screens, and something about covering the corners makes it flow that much better.

T. Platinum - 6/10
Overall, decent. The green blocks are a bit much. I would tone those down to gray. I really like the pillars, even though as Migokalle noted they are much higher than the ceiling. A different shadow color would really improve the screen as well.

I put my vote in for MrMister.

#12 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:48 PM

WTF I HAVE VOTES o_O

icon_deformed.gif

I nulled, since I'm in it. Otherwise I'd have gone with jimmyb.

#13 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

MrMister - 7/10
Overall a well put together screen. Other than the very flat coastline, it looks great.

Kenster - 5/10
So much potential is lost here due to the majority of the screen being taken up by a flat bare cliff and a huge waterfall wall, leading to what looks more like a swimming pool than a more natural body of water. The ground details are good, and is easily the best thing about this screen. Too bad it takes an inferior role to the rest of it.

jimmyb - 6/10
The center of the screen looks awkward to me, with the boulder sandwiched the way it is and under the bridge. Besides that, not bad.

Fausch - 4/10
Can't say I like the coloration of these graphics, as they don't seem to mesh well. Perhaps it is just too lacking in contrast, with the exception of the flowers, having way too much. The details of the ground are not much, and the flowers are way too bright and thus too out of place no matter where they are. The cliffs are also very straight. Then again, cliffs on the north end don't do all that well in ZC. Design is okay at best, but I just can't see those graphics making any screen look good. But hey, I could be proven wrong.

T. Platinum - 6/10
Good graphics and ground details, but I can't help but find some of it awkward, such as the tree that overlaps with the wall near the water. The column that is closest to the locked door looks strange being too close to one of the other two more detailed columns. Might need to either remove it or play around with it until it feels like it is in a better position. Perhaps further to the left for a better balance, forming a triangle (but not a right triangle)? That is, assuming that our hero can walk behind it.

Of all of them, Mr. Mister's screen seems to be the best planned out and easily has the least amount of awkwardness to it.

#14 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:39 PM

Jimmy B won my vote, awdsome shot.

#15 MrMister

MrMister

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:45 PM

Since I'm in the contest, I nulled again!
T. Platinum impressed me the most this week, tieing with Jimmyb.

I also would like to say that I appreciate everyone who even though didn't vote for me, still has kind words for my shot every week, I haven't got a wholly bad complaint about one yet!

So thanks guys! icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users