Photo

Screenshot of the Week 267

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 267 (49 member(s) have cast votes)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:50 PM

MrMister
IPB Image
A cutscene from my newest quest.

skateboarder11
IPB Image
Still not dead...

Prospekt
IPB Image
An attempt to live up to Mr. Z, seeing as I took his place in Legendary Quests.

Christian
IPB Image
Hmmm how would link ever get through that icy path? Seems like he's stuck!

#2 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:52 PM

I voted for Christian. Looks really nice! icon_thumbsup.gif

#3 MrMister

MrMister

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:17 PM

I nulled, seeing as I'm in the contest.

MrMister - icon_awesome.gif

Skateboarder11 - Solid screenshot! Some the custom graphics catch my eye.

Prospekt - Pretty good, but a little plain...

Christian - I would've voted for this. I'm a sucker for the GB tileset. icon_razz.gif

EDIT: Typo.

Edited by MrMister, 03 August 2009 - 03:18 PM.

#4 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:20 PM

I voted for Christian.

MrMister - I might have liked it better if there was some text in that box... icon_xd.gif

Skateborder11 - The only thing I really like are the mountains...However, nothing goes with the mountains...

Prospekt - Nice shot, but Link is the only bright color so it looks...weird.

Christian - <3

icon_blah.gif

#5 MrMister

MrMister

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(Rem @ Aug 3 2009, 01:20 PM) View Post
MrMister - I might have liked it better if there was some text in that box... icon_xd.gif

I didn't want to spoil plot points. icon_cool.gif

#6 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:44 PM

MrMister - (not rated)
Like title screens, I am not big on voting for cutscenes among overworld and dungeon screenshots. It's like trying to compare an apple to a steak. I just don't think I am able to do it. They just seem like different ballparks in a lot of ways. But if I were to rate among a bunch of cutscenes, here is what I think: Either lose the dialog box or include one with text in it. An empty dialog box just looks awkward to me. The graphics on the cutscene, though, are very nice.

skateboarder11 - 6/10
While it is detailed, it has its share of awkwardness. For the water on the lower left: I can't tell if that is supposed to be a pond that turns into a waterfall or a shadow effect over part of it. The water being so close to that ledge makes the entire lower left portion of the screen look very artificial. As for the rest of the cliffs (not near the water), it looks very good. As for the lonely ledge at the bottom near the center, I am not sure what to make out of it. I am not a fan of some of those tree types, so it always baffles me why people use them unless they are there for a specific purpose. I think it would look lovely only using the tree type that you see in the upper left corner for the trees that are found in the lower more fertile portion, and using a less fertile tree type (one not found on the screen currently) for the drier ground in the upper portion, if any trees to being with.

Prospekt - 6/10
While those are certainly not my favorite sort of cliffs, you seem to make good use of them. The ground details look perfectly right to me. Overall though, the screen looks too compact to me, as if they are best meant to carry over into more than one screen. It feels as if the screen is trying to be more than what one screen should handle. I see six different surface elevations, a few of which might be at the same height, depending on what is going on in the adjacent screens. Some of these elevations are just the very most subtle of hints of something, but not enough to bring much of any aesthetic appeal (those in the upper and lower right corners). It's as if you are showing off your skill on elevations, which is clearly good, but you are going overboard with it. If it is based on preserving Mr. Z's designs of Pure Quest, then I suppose that is understandable. A little simplification of some elements isn't necessarily a bad thing, though.

Christian - 7/10
Good detail for a gameboyish screen, but there are a few elements of awkwardness to it. It would look better if the red cliff edges were replaced by a color better fitting for a winter setting, such as an appropriate shade of light blue or light gray. While there are plenty of ground details on the main elevation, it might actually look better if it was simplified a little for this case. For snow, I think it might be okay to stick with just one main color instead of two (the whiter one), and even get rid rid of the slashable snow-covered bushes that have the square edges. I say keep the green bushes, especially around the seed planting spot, but their color looks more in tune with a warmer season. Perhaps bring some blue to them, but not too much. As for the trees, I love the choices, and they look well placed. Play around with colors more to try to find something more appealing to you. If it is more appealing to you, then chances are it will be for a lot of people.

Interesting selection this week. They all have their non-identical shares of strengths and weaknesses. I decided to go with Christian this time, as I think it has the most appeal overall.

#7 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:30 PM

I don't know why, but Prospekts shot really appeals to me... more so than Christians. As I said, I don't know why... it just does.

#8 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:46 PM

Christian wins my vote.

#9 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:46 PM

MrMister - The cutscene shot is really intriguing a bit but what is up with the dialog box? if you weren't going to put anything on it , you should'ave just taken it out and just left the cutscene picture. Overall it's pretty interesting.

Skateboarder11 - The design is pretty good for a classic BS shot, i suppose this is your tileset? if, it is, it's looking really nice. Now, about the water on the left, i suggest you take it off and add trees up in there. Since the water is in the corner, it really doesn't serve a purpose now does it? But overall, it is a great classic shot. I noticed you took it in ZQuest which is not very appealing though. I prefer our good old Zelda Classic for shots eh? icon_smile.gif

Propekt - if your living up to Mr. Z 's Design, let me tell you that you are doing a wonderful job at it. I am impressed that you actually made those mountains that i always hated , actually look pretty nice. Everything on the screen seems to work together flawlessly. My only concern is that the ground need a bit more detail. Since it's a mountain, you should have dirt and other mountain stuff on the ground. I'm impressed. If i had'nt entered this week, i would have voted for this one all the way! Great job Prospekt icon_thumbsup.gif

I nulled. icon_sweat.gif

#10 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:48 PM

Well, I won Migo's vote- THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS.

I null'd, but hey, Christian, you have one heck of an amazing shot there!

#11 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:18 AM

QUOTE(Prospekt @ Aug 3 2009, 05:48 PM) View Post

I null'd, but hey, Christian, you have one heck of an amazing shot there!

Thanks Prospekt! Means alot coming from you actually icon_smile.gif

#12 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:18 AM

After some long thinking I decided to go with Prospekt, it's a good Pure shot.

#13 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:14 AM

I vote for Prospekt. Good work on the screen.

#14 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:24 AM

Mr.Mister, did you draw that yourself?

#15 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(Alestance @ Aug 4 2009, 12:24 PM) View Post

Mr.Mister, did you draw that yourself?

Actually, I think it's from LA, but ripped and recolored. Think. Not sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users