Best place to learn from?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:10 AM

Hi all. Next term I go to Webprogrammer college course, then later to Programdesigner Informatics major and I don't want to step in there with no knowledge on the topic.
So, I ask you, where are the places on the wide web where I can learn
-HTML
-JavaScript
-C++
and related neccessary (commonly used) languages AND preferably see how well I do?

I learned HTML for one single term, the small site I made for the exam was quite good, but my theoretical knowledge on the topic was mediocre. I remember things like <HTML></HTML>, <BR>, <A></A>, <H REF> and such and that HTML looks like BBcodes, just with <> instead of []. As for C++, I saw many ZScripts, so I know the general logic behind things. I don't have the slightest knowledge about JavaScript, but if can produce such an MMORPG like RuneScape, then I better learn it fast. Maybe I should learn some Flash and ActionScript with it...

Things I will learn at Webpogrammer: (I only include the scrictly computing related ones)
1. Computing basics, Operational Systems I., Server Administration, Handling of graphical information, Script languages, Cisco network academy I., Mathematical practicum, Safety questions of webprogramming.
2. High level programming languages I.-II., Basic knowledge on algorhythmizing, Database systems, System organizating, Programming technologies
3. HTML knowledge, Webdesign and tipographics knowledge, Form handling and CGI programming, Dinamic WEB programming, Webportal creation on CMS bases, Designing of modular websites, New generational Web technologies, Web-programming on .NET/Java bases, Confoguration and management of online databases, Creation of multimedia source files I.-II.

Things I will learn at Programdesigner Informatics:
Practically everything about computing from the very mathematical/logical bases through languages and operational systems to practical creation of huge databases, websites, applications and managing whole ISP networks.

For what will I casually use the information I get?
-trying my hand at scratch-programmed games
-making ZScripts
-being able to critize computer related products (including ZC) better

For what will I seriously use everything that I learn?
-being able to make my own websites instead of hiring professionals for that
-being eligible to join/found a computing company (note that I'm having my Business Administration diploma quite soon)
-being eligible to take part in official console/PC videogame making

It also was a smaller dream of mine to be ZC developer when I learn enough of C++ for that, but I don't know now...

Any site I'm pointed to will be looked up immediately, then I'm casually learning from them during summer so that I know more than practically nothing.

#2 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:11 AM

You can literally learn HTML in like ten minutes. [ http://www.w3schools...tml/default.asp ] But to make your HTML a little cleaner, you might also want to check the XHTML tutorial as well. [ http://www.w3schools...tml/default.asp ] (XHTML is just a particular way of writing HTML; it's more or less a set of good guidelines for organization. While it's not required by most browsers, it makes it easier on you or anyone else that may need to look at your code.)

as for JavaScript, you may want to get a book that is an introduction to JavaScript. It's still not terribly hard to learn, but it's handy to have a reference. W3 also has a JavaScript section but it does not go in-depth like a book would; especially on topics like AJAX. [ http://www.w3schools.../js/default.asp ]

Also browse their site and try to learn a little of both SQL and php. Will come in handy for scripting pages later as well as manipulating a database. Most likely you'll learn some of this already but it can't hurt to go in and already know something about what you're studying.

The W3 can't help you learn C++. Look for a book that also comes with examples. Best way to learn is by picking apart the examples and figuring out why and how each piece of code does what it does.

You are also going to want to take some design courses; even ones that aren't computer-focused will still have information and practices that can be applied to your work.

#3 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:36 AM

A great thanks to you! This W3 looks like gold and great that you remind me for SQL and php. Extra thanks for advices.

#4 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:55 PM

tizag.com is excellent source for HTML and Javascript. As for C++, well, I can't help you there, that's a beast I haven't tackled yet.

#5 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:45 AM

As for C++, I tried it too, but gave up early, since I didn't have the mood for "tackling it". But as I just google C++, I find: http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
Seems like a fine site.

#6 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ May 23 2009, 03:10 PM) View Post
As for C++, I saw many ZScripts, so I know the general logic behind things.

Right, so.
You're walking along by a lake.

Let's imagine that the lake is a pool of knowledge of C++.
You bend down, and scoop up a cup of water. That cup of water is your knowledge of ZScript.
If you were really good at writing ZScript, you might be able to take out two cups.
In the rest of the lake lies a whole lot of new problems, which is the step up from using a few functions with make ZC a bit more accesable to writing things yourself.

Anyway - crappy analogies aside - C++ is a (very) big step up from ZScript.
To be honest, all that I think I took from ZScript when I started learning C++ was logic reasoning. Other than very basic syntax, I had to learn pretty much everything else.

QUOTE(Bengal @ May 23 2009, 04:11 PM) View Post
The W3 can't help you learn C++.

What makes you say that?
I had a couple of books, but I didn't really use them.
I learnt mostly from the website TK posted, along with just playing around and stuff.

#7 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

The W3 site doesn't have anything on C++, being focused on Web development. It's hard to learn C++ from nothing. icon_razz.gif

#8 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:37 PM

Oh!
When you said 'w3', I thought it was some strange way of saying 'www.', and you meant the internet >_<

#9 lucas92

lucas92

Defender

• Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:06 PM

C++ is very, very hard to master. Dynamic memory allocation, pointers, templates, structures, classes, STL. There are a lot more features in C++. I've never taken programming classes so maybe they could help learning. But I'm convinced that the most work has to be done by yourself. icon_wink.gif

If you want to make a game, then you would have to add the game logic on top of that.

I use C# more often because it is easier than C++, has pretty much the same syntax as C and Java, and is completely object-oriented. You have to write less code than C++. The mono project made the C# language multi-platform (works on Windows, Linux and Mac).

About Zscript : I'm afraid, but real programming is harder than zscript and most of the code you make is invisible to the human, while code in Zscript can be seen immediately. There is also something called a debuger that helps debugging the program.

I've never made a website, so I can't say anything about that. =P

#10 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:14 PM

Hm, I didn't know that C++ is THAT big of a beast... Seeing that I never fuly learned ZScript, I might have some hardships with that...

Well, as far as I know, the first two years of college will consist of very little offline programming, mostly just webprogramming, but C++ will be a separate subject line from the third year.

My progress so far:
I went through W3's HTML tutorial and examples, scored 90% at the quiz (same for XHTML). That seemed very easy stuff. Then I wanted to start XML, but it said I need JavaScript knowledge first, so I started learning that... Well, it's rather complicated. Good job that I started to learn these things months before college starts!

So, really thank you all.
(And I thought I would learn C++ in 1-2 years good enough to make a C++ game that is as long as official console games... The world isn't really simple.)

#11 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:35 AM

I think (although I might just be completely wrong) that Java shares quite a lot of syntax and such with C++, so if you're learning that it might help if/when you move on to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users