Photo

Screenshot of the Week 248

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Poll: ... (38 member(s) have cast votes)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:49 PM

jimmyb
IPB Image
After many adventures, Link and Zelda decide to return to their studies. This resulted in an explosion in the science labs, and the firing of Miss Marie.

T. Platinum
IPB Image
In a land where North is South, Link must find a way out.

Link R us
IPB Image
Link sits by a fire at night on the beach, in the first screenshot of Kingdom of Hearts.

#2 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:59 PM

T wins my vote. His seems to have the most effort put into.

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:14 PM

T's shot actually looks like my UCoL tileset, (Tei borrowed from it, I believe.) and CC's Hatchet and maybe the BS or Exate's minimap. I don't recognize that rabbit from anywhere though.

#4 Hoten

Hoten

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:26 PM

I like how T used the bird to show the compass directions...funny, I just did that earlier today on my quest, too. Anyhow he got my vote.

#5 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:54 PM

JimmyB's looks the best in my eyes. icon_shrug.gif

Link R Us's is empty...

T.'s is too square.

Edited by Alestance, 16 March 2009 - 11:55 PM.

#6 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:01 AM

Well, obviously I nulled.

Good luck to T. Platinum and Link R us! icon_biggrin.gif

#7 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:16 AM

Nulled, as I'm participating and stuff. The other shots look great though.
QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Mar 16 2009, 09:14 PM) View Post
T's shot actually looks like my UCoL tileset, (Tei borrowed from it, I believe.) and CC's Hatchet and maybe the BS or Exate's minimap. I don't recognize that rabbit from anywhere though.
That's 'cause I'm using a modified Pure set. Heh...the bunny is awesome. icon_biggrin.gif

#8 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

Why, must I clean out Old Lady Simmon's Cave?

• Banned

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:01 AM

jimmyb Gets my vote, because poor Miss Marie, got fired! And because it looks the most natural.

T. I really do not like the way the grass looks, the cset you are using is off.

link R That shoot is to open, and yet everything is kinda crowed at the fence.

icon_shrug.gif

#9 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

@_@ Man, I got owned. I know it was too open, but none of my tiles that I tried to use would work with the nighttime thing. icon_confused.gif I should have just left it a morning shot, I guess. Oh well, great shots jimmyb, and T.! icon_wink.gif I'm lovin' jimmy's NPCs!

#10 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:58 PM

jimmyb:

This, quite frankly, has way too many people sprites on it. I suggest you take off 1 or 2 of the "people clusters" on this screen. Also, you could add a few more cucoos. I also think you should extend that brick ground from the top of the screen, to maybe about midway into the grass patch on the screen. One thing, this isn't really a design problem, but I think you should layer another "big rock" on top of the "big rock" you have on the bottom right of the screen, so maybe it doesn't look so much like just a big rock mat, but it would look more natural.

T. Platinum:

Transparent water doesn't always mean good water. If you're going to use transparent water, it should be animated to make it really muddled so it isn't incredibly easy to what's underneath. Water in nature just isn't that clear. Honestly, I think opaque water would work better for this shot. I also suggest you use a more enhanced palette. I know there are like... a million that have been made. Also, solid objects should pretty much never be placed less than 2 combos away from the screen, otherwise, when you move into the screen, you just crash into the tree. All the trees but the one on the far left have this problem. One thing I also think would greatly improve the design of this shot is having large, solid objects that "run off" the screen. Such as trees that you only see half of in this screen, and half of in the screen next to it. Big rocks would work well with this kind of thing as well. If you also add maybe another layer of elevation to the screen, it could potentially look more interesting.

Link R us:

For this, I'd suggest a more organic looking coastline. You're coast has a serious straight-edge on it, and if you were to add a bunch of bumps and curves in it, that would improve the design greatly. This also goes for the design on the cliff parts on the top of the screen, you should add a few bumps and curves into that as well. Organic shapes and lines make a screen look natural. Your top left corner is really empty, you should put some stuff in it. In fact, you should add a couple of more subtle grass details. All you have in it so far are really bright flowers and bushes. If you were to put a few darker flowers, maybe a dirt patch, it would look easily better. I suggest also, you make the dirt to sand transition part more organic and shapely. A few more sand details would improve the look of the sandy part. If you add a few solid rocks, that could improve your design there.

I null'd

#11 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

I voted for jimmyb. It looks like the best to me. icon_thumbsup.gif

#12 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE(EnnonFenom @ Mar 16 2009, 11:01 PM) View Post
T. I really do not like the way the grass looks, the cset you are using is off.
icon_confused2.gif
I'm using the same CSet for everything...how is it off?
QUOTE(Nuvo @ Mar 17 2009, 01:58 PM) View Post
T. Platinum:
Also, solid objects should pretty much never be placed less than 2 combos away from the screen, otherwise, when you move into the screen, you just crash into the tree. All the trees but the one on the far left have this problem.
They're layered trees...

#13 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE(T. Platinum @ Mar 17 2009, 09:26 PM) View Post

They're layered trees...

That doesn't matter, you're still crowded right into the tree as soon as you enter the screen, whether you stand under it or not. That statement also applies to that pot on the far left as well.

#14 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE(Nuvo @ Mar 18 2009, 06:58 AM) View Post

jimmyb:

This, quite frankly, has way too many people sprites on it. I suggest you take off 1 or 2 of the "people clusters" on this screen. Also, you could add a few more cucoos. I also think you should extend that brick ground from the top of the screen, to maybe about midway into the grass patch on the screen. One thing, this isn't really a design problem, but I think you should layer another "big rock" on top of the "big rock" you have on the bottom right of the screen, so maybe it doesn't look so much like just a big rock mat, but it would look more natural.

This screen was more of a showcase of the various sprites I have made. In game, the sprites are spread out across the village, with only a few in the 'school grounds'.

And I will try the big rock on top of the big rock, and see how thats looks.

Thanks for the feedback! It's greatly appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

#15 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

jimmyb - 8/10
Neat. Nice scene and details to go with it. Love the subscreen part too. This also goes to show that sometimes just one tree is enough to cut it. Excellent caption.

T. Platinum - 6/10
Good detail throughout the screen, but nothing too interesting. It's a great screen to be one among many in any quest, though.

Link R us - 5/10
Too much of the screen is dominated by the same beach tile, and the coast on the right is too straight to be natural looking. If you can do more with the sand itself, I think that would be your best bet of something better without changing what the screen is about.

Forgive me if I didn't read any other posts, if it matters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users