Photo

Screenshot of the Week 228

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

Poll: SotW 228 (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite screen!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:20 PM

gray0x
IPB Image
Yarg falls down a pit in the slightly less crappy new Level 1 entrance!

Dawnlight
IPB Image
I hope Link brought a Lantern.

Ebola Zaire
IPB Image
A REAL LIFE OFFICIAL JR. TROLLEY HAT!!!!!!

Evile
IPB Image
Why, hello there my chillins, forget about me?

Majora
IPB Image
This is it... the Master Sword rests inside!

Molten Onyx
IPB Image
There are always trees on top of trees, but they're just little trees (on top of big trees)

Nuvo
IPB Image

#2 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:23 PM

Voting for Evile! Did you steal that shot from PrinceMSC? icon_razz.gif

Glad to see you back.

Edited by Dawnlight, 14 September 2008 - 04:24 PM.

#3 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:32 PM

gray0x - plain bad.
tm - Not bad, all I can say about it.
ebola - the mountains look weird, other than that it's a decent shot I suppose.
Evile - amazing 'n stuff
Majora the mountain at the bottom is too straight, there's little to no ground detail, and all you can focus on the the subscreen.
Molten Onyx - You've diseased my babies with the way you use those tree overhangs.
Nuvo - it's nice.

#4 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:37 PM

icon_razz.gif

Hi. I decided to make a snappy entrance by entering SotW. Well it appears I'm back and ZC'n a little again. I'm actually having fun with it and making some cool stuff. Right now I'm just messing with this tileset a bit but I might make a full quest. We'll see what happens.

Good to see everyone again. icon_wink.gif

Also, Ebola, where the hell did you get that bridge!? I was looking for it for hours the other day but I couldn't find it. Can you please link me to it. Its also nice to see people using my set and my palettes. icon_razz.gif

Edited by Evile, 14 September 2008 - 04:40 PM.

#5 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE(Evile @ Sep 14 2008, 04:37 PM) View Post

icon_razz.gif

Hi. I decided to make a snappy entrance by entering SotW. Well it appears I'm back and ZC'n a little again. I'm actually having fun with it and making some cool stuff. Right now I'm just messing with this tileset a bit but I might make a full quest. We'll see what happens.

Good to see everyone again. icon_wink.gif

Also, Ebola, where the hell did you get that bridge!? I was looking for it for hours the other day but I couldn't find it. Can you please link me to it. Its also nice to see people using my set and my palettes. icon_razz.gif

Glad to see you're back. This is TriMaster001, I changed my username. And where did you get that tileset?

#6 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:48 PM

I made that tileset in like a few hours by editing the ST set. All I did was add in the LttP tree bases and the tops by Relic and add in some different dirt and MC mountains. It was really quite simple.

#7 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:50 PM

:O!!!

Wow, lots of shots this week. icon_heh.gif

Now then:

gray0x: Solid shot, but nothing spectacular. I see nothing wrong with it, so I rate it a 6 (out of 10) Design-wise, it's kinda basic, some (walkable/climbable) vines going up the mountain side would've made it a bit better.

Dawnlight: Took me a a bit to realize that the dark parts on the left were underwater. I'm not a big fan of the palette, but as far as actual design goes, it's pretty simplistic in that Link can only walk on the right half of the screen. 6/10

Ebola Zaire: Not much walking room, I like the palette, and the whole "bridge over a not-square building" thing boosts my opinion of it. The mountains were also used well, but some creeping vines and/or cracks would've helped. 8/10

Evile: The lightest shades of green just kill most of the shot for me, but that's countered by the amount of ground details (and details overall). The mountain cutting through the middle of the screen is a gray zone for me. On one hand, it's a good design aspect. On the other, It's like 4 tiles/combos away from being a straight mountain edge down the middle. 6/10

Me: I think it's a decent shot, otherwise I wouldn't've submittied it icon_razz.gif

Molten Onyx: Defintely an interesting concept. The void isn't terribly pleasing to the eye, but there is otherwise nothing wrong with this shot. It is a game, after all. 7/10

Nuvo: Pretty colors, but that's about it. I could remake this shot with either classic or pure/PTUX and people would maim me over it. 4/10

I vote for Ebola.

#8 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

I voted for Dawnlight, it has a very nice "shadey forest" type feel.
And I see your changed you Link player sprites to some new ones, nice. icon_thumbsup.gif

#9 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

gray0x - Nice overall design, but it's nothing really new. The height of the cliff sides makes me wonder, though

Dawnlight - A nice forest shot, but it's hard to tell that's water on the left side. It needs more disturbance on the surface; Not like, more little wave things, but something like the shallow water in LttP. As it is, it looks like darker ground. Also, custom Link?

Ebola Zaire - A close second. Very nice shot, but it's too crowded. To make that shot really work, you'd need an extra tile on all four sides of the screen. As well, the tree in the upper-left corner needs to be moved one tile up, as the player shouldn't have to be forced to move around such a huge object just after a narrow walkway. Looks good visually, but it needs a bit of gameplay work

Evile - Voted. I love simple scenes like this. It looks like the morning after a good rain, and everything is just a bit damp, and a cloudy sky. No fancy tile work or custom tiles, just good colors and screen design. Two complaints, though. One, you don't have enough color. Some red/yellow flowers on the ground would look great, possibly even a purple to blend in with the water. Two, it's hard to see Link, as his colors are almost identical to the trees' greens

Majora - A decent shot, but there are a few major flaws here, mainly the lack of detail on the ground. The sanctuary's shading is also horrible; The front-facing stones shouldn't be as highlighted as the tops on the archway over the door. it looks like the darkest gray was replaced by the lightest. The final major concern is the subscreen. It draws far too much attention to itself, mainly the Master Sword and the emblem behind it. Far too bright for such a dark screen

Molten Onyx - Very pastel looking palette, but not necessarily bad. Decent screen design, however the edge of the tree looks very strange. It looks like you're on top of a tree looking down, or a misuse of the tiles and the other ground tiles are below the foliage. Illusions like that are not usually a good thing. I'd recommend adding a middle-ground of leaves between the two layers of leaves you have now, to make it look more like you're looking down (Smaller, darker, ect.)

Nuvo - Just as beautiful as the last time we saw it. Nothing really horrible, but it's a tired set by now. There has to be more from this quest that you can show, not just this forested, ruin-y place

#10 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:41 PM

Frick.

Null.

Next on to do list, destroy tileset, make a new one. I've already lost.

EDIT: That was dumb what I just said. But I have been thinking of making a new one for a while anyway, which is probably what I'm going to do.

#11 ElLibertador

ElLibertador

Love and Peace

• Members

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:07 PM

:O :O :O :O :O

Sup Evile icon_smile.gif You're back. Yay! Maybe a whole load of people will start flooding back in. Or I'm dreaming. Meh?

Anyway, I voted for the one I thought was best icon_smile.gif

#12 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:23 PM

I'm nulling. They're all so good, I can't pick.

And welcome back Evile!

#13 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:42 PM

Way to make an entrance Evile. If must certainly know where those bridge tiles are, The very maker of them should easliy know where they are. icon_wink.gif

On a side note, I was going to try and enter, but time was against me. Next week is one to look out for though, I can tell you that. People in chat should know what I'm talking about.

#14 lucas92

lucas92

Defender

• Members

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:47 PM

gray0x : 8/10

Nice composition in this screen. But besides that, I don't like the fact that it has no colours...

Dawnlight: 8/10

Good pure screen, mountains are well done, but is the dark section water?

Ebola Zaire: 8/10

Gb houses and minish cap tree is a no-no for me... Though I really love that bridge!

Evile: 9/10

Wow. It would be the best shot using minish cap mountains I've seen. icon_smile.gif

Majora: 7/10

Typical pure shot, but the horse script is always a plus in a big quest. I'm sure that the quest is fun anyway. But the design is not really exceptional. Gameplay is always more important than graphics anyway. icon_wink.gif

Molten Onyx: 7/10

An another typical pure shot...

Nuvo: 8.5

The graphics are awesome, especially those leaves and the "pillars". But everything is too dark... Maybe it's because I love brighter screens...

Votes for Evile.

#15 hinsburg

hinsburg

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:43 PM

gray0x: Nothing particularly exciting or notable about it.

Dawnlight: I like the underwater rocks! It's a nice effect and done well. I don't really like the Link sprite, but that's not much.

Ebola Zaire: What kind of house is shaped like that? I also don't like the status subscreen very much.

Evile: Nice palette, not much else to say.

Majora: The sword on the status subscreen is a bit distracting, but the colors look nice.

Molten Onyx: Nothing too unique about it.

Nuvo: Samus looks like she has no legs, but other than that it looks good.

Dawnlight gets my vote.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users