Photo

Screenshot of the Week 208

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

Poll: SoTW 208 (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Contestants

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:11 PM

/M/
IPB Image
No Caption.

Nuvo
Has backed out by request

Pheonix
IPB Image
"Link goes deep into the ancient Farbough Forest, and hopes he doesn't encounter a maze path."

LostInHyru1e
IPB Image
"A "Meh, why not? screen brought to you by LostInHyru1e."

Linkus
IPB Image
"Hyaah!"

#2 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:18 PM

Tough choice between /M/, Phoenix, and Linkus. I went with /M/.

Nuvo's shot needs work, and I'm sick of Lost competing. icon_razz.gif

#3 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

/M/: Nice tiles that are being used but I don't really see anything special about the screen.
Nuvo: A little bland.
Pheonix: Really nice shot, I would of voted here except I like LIH's shot better.
LIH: Beautiful screen design. This gets my vote.
Linkus: Meh, It's okay. But like /M/'s I don't see anything special about it.

#4 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

/M/: Good shot, really... I like it... Nothing to complain about.
Nuvo: That shot is WAAAAY to empty. And the open corner really ruins it... but dude, fill the screen a little bit more... it looks VERY unfinished.
Pheonix: first, that palette is UGLY. Really, REALLY bad. And I don't like that there's so many of those hollow trees...
LiH: A great shot, really... But the tower really doesen't fit in, because of the perspective issues... Sorry...
Linkus: This really reminds me of LA... alot... I can't help to think that the screen would look better in DoR, but even though, the screen is great. And the trees are WONDERFUL! Great job... My vote goes here!

EDIT: I forgot Nuvo icon_razz.gif

And did I handle thisone allright? I mean, I didn't go over the top, did I? icon_razz.gif

Edited by Migokalle, 27 April 2008 - 04:20 PM.

#5 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:25 PM

Ah, so that's what I forgot... carbon copying /M/, even though I suspected he would do this SotW... At least I can vote now... now, when I barely can decide...

But in the end I went with LiH.

/M/: "Who doesn't like winter?" The one who doesn't realize it was a winter screen. This much brown quite Dark World-ish, so I like it.
Nuvo: Seems quite empty, but I really like that chair&table... As well as the vegetation.
Pheonix: That forest brush is really strange there... or I just got used to the detailed DoR one too much... Not bad otherwise.
LostInHyru1e: Like LA flipped horizontally... I love that tower and background... Vote.
Linkus: Very nice GB screen, very nice.

#6 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:27 PM

- /M/ -

It's a nice, pleasing palette, and good use of tiles, but it's just kinda meh... empty...

- Nuvo -

Again, empty. You just showing off the mountains? Good work with them, but there's nothing else...

- Pheonix -

Voted this one. It's appealing to the eye, those fallen leaves have a nice color. I love the use of underbrush in a shot, too. icon_wink.gif

- LostInHyru1e -

It's not bad. It looks pretty good. This would've been my third decision.

- Linkus -

Close second place. It's very good, especially on that ground detail. But I'm surprised at how this one is... less superior than most of your other shots. icon_eek.gif

#7 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:27 PM

I voted for LiH.

/M/'s perspective is awful, and the colours don't look much better (especially for winter), Nuvo's is pretty good, but it looks quite empty, Pheonix's is really enclosed; I'm not too keen on that kind of usage of the brush, and I don't like the way Linkus used the trees; although I do like how they look.

#8 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

/M/
I'm sorry but this shot doesn't really speek to me and I don't really Like those trees basses + I also don't like the pallet(the big ones)(4th)
But the Layout is good

Nuvo
removed comment due to Nuvo steeping out

Pheonix
I don't really like the Grey Forest Bush but really nicely put together (3rd)

LostInHyru1e
You should make a Quest in GB because you are relly good at it and this shot says the same thing (vote)

Linkus
Just A gencict GB shot
Also those trees clase with the style but the rest of the screen is good (2nd)

If I was too harsh please say because i didn't meen to be too harsh

Improived my Spelling

Also My spelling is worst at night espacly when I'm posting at 10:33Pm /M/

Edited by billy ronald, 28 April 2008 - 10:15 AM.

#9 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:40 PM

I'm going to share my thoughts on these shots.

/M/: That's winter? I wouldn't like to be there, as it seems that everything just dies off, yet not a flake of snow falls.

Nuvo: Rather... empty. The palette's a bit dull as well, and it seems to have very little contrast.

Phoenix: this is rather nice. I've seen the tiles many times, but the ting that bothers me most is the color of the leaves. If you make them darker, they will fit better.

LostInHyru1e: Ah yes, the one thing I can point out that would make this picture better--the tower itself. It's too close to the cliff, and needs to come forward a tile; then it should look fine. I know perspectives are ridiculous in certain parts of the Gameboy Zelda tiles, but taking simple precautions can mask these errors.

Me: it's low key, but it's to prove that I can design a nice shot. And demonstrate some tiles I made, which I plan to give to Russ and Moonwhisper to use in the oracle quest.

#10 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:45 PM

Nuvo: A little bland.

Thank you, now what can I do with it?

Nuvo: That shot is WAAAAY to empty. And the open corner really ruins it... but dude, fill the screen a little bit more... it looks VERY unfinished.

So, you still think closed corners are essential? Play sabotage dragoon. At least I took a risk this time. They aren't always required.

Again, empty. You just showing off the mountains? Good work with them, but there's nothing else...

So, you don't even notice the ripped vegetation from Secret of Evermore, nor the trees from SD3? I'm done showing off the mountains, I was done doing that months ago after it stopped working.

Nuvo
Ok i'm going to say this
You need more ground detile and those MTs should be in grey (5th)

If you look at the dirt really closely, you'll notice there are differences in all of the tiles, and why should the mountains be grey? There are such things as brown rocks.

Thank you for telling me it's empty, but why? You guys aint helpin' whatsoever, besides Linkus. I know I should "fill it" but how? Or are these just filler comments, so you don't leave an empty comment?

Linkus, what are some color changing suggestions you got for me?

#11 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(Nuvo @ Apr 27 2008, 05:45 PM) View Post

So, you still think closed corners are essential? Play sabotage dragoon. At least I took a risk this time. They aren't always required.

He's right, you know.
QUOTE(Nuvo @ Apr 27 2008, 05:45 PM) View Post

So, you don't even notice the ripped vegetation from Secret of Evermore, nor the trees from SD3?

Barely. icon_unsettled.gif

#12 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:51 PM

First off, the SD3 trees were designed for bright contrast. Assuming that this is a jungle shot, that would be the way to go; Something rather bright with a medium and high contrast, but keeping a dark overtone would work best in this location.

#13 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(billy ronald @ Apr 27 2008, 05:33 PM) View Post

Well this week i didn't enter now I wish I had becasue I would have betten all of these shots[b]

I finally understand, your understanding of basic courtesy got left behind somewhere didn't it? Look, stop being rude in every SotW/QPF entrant thread you ever go to. It's getting annoying.

Hmmm, haven't made my decision yet...it's between /M/ and Nuvo though, I like both of the shots.

LiH-Sideway tiles used in an OW shot?...o..kay...

#14 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(billy ronald @ Apr 27 2008, 05:33 PM) View Post

Well this week i didn't enter now I wish I had becasue I would have betten all of these shots

Nuvo
Ok i'm going to say this
You need more ground detile and those MTs should be in grey (5th)

Alright..

First off, please use a spell check before posting. This is just ridiculous, your post are starting to become a chore for me to understand, much like unscrambling words on a puzzle. I know your Dyslexic, but it seems your using that as an excuse for your laziness of not making sure your spelling words at least relevantly close to what they're spelled like. My spelling isn't exactly great either, but I make sure everything is spelled correctly before I post something. Second, your post shouldn't be valid, nor are they ever when in comes to your opinion on another persons screen. Its usually hypocritical and delusional. You suggest Nuvo to add more ground details yet your shots are always empty. I don't need to show you some examples, because I'll be posting every screen you've made, really. I know you've improved, but it is it exactly necessary to add a comment such as "I wish I had because I would have beaten all of these"? Your making yourself look cocky and at the same time insulting every person who has entered this week as well. Why am I bothering commenting on this, some may ask. Its just that I'm tired of reading hypocritical comments like these. Sorry if I offended you or anyone else, just being honest.

Anyways, I think this was a tough week. I submitted my shot just to show what I've been working on lately, which I barely do. Its a shot of my upcoming quest project which I will discuss about when more progress has been done. I knew it wasn't going to win, especially when there isn't a subscreen, a Link, basically no activity going on. I like every shot this time around, but Linkus's shot stood out the most. I really like those tree tiles, and the screen brings back memories of the gameboy games. Good job, Linkus.

#15 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(/M/ @ Apr 27 2008, 11:11 PM) View Post

/M/
IPB Image
"Who doesn't love winter?"

Nuvo
IPB Image
No caption.

Pheonix
IPB Image
"Link goes deep into the ancient Farbough Forest, and hopes he doesn't encounter a maze path."

LostInHyru1e
IPB Image
"A "Meh, why not? screen brought to you by LostInHyru1e."

Linkus
IPB Image
"Hyaah!"

icon_cry.gif CastChaos isn't in. To bad.

/M/: Winter? Well, the design is bad. It looks like a quick mix of tiles. I also mentioned before(Thread: "Pine Tree" in Developers Exchange) that the trunks and tops of the trees aren't fitting. I do like the trunk though.

Nuvo: Plainess on it's best. Really, it's empty.

Pheonix: I advice to always have at least 1 tile between sides of the forest brush, or else it looks to thin. For the rest: nice screen, though I don't really get a forest feeling with this screen.

LostInHyru1e: Very good very a "Meh, why not?" screen. Nice design overall, except for the tower. Perhaps it should be placed just one tile lower to look more realistic.

Linkus: Also very good. Great design..., argh I'm choosing between you and LiH...

And the vote goes to:

LostInHyru1e!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users