Photo

Screenshot of the Week 160

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 160 (58 member(s) have cast votes)

Contestants

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 29 April 2007 - 03:49 PM

Billy Ronald
IPB Image
wait isn't this meant to be a forest

DarkFlameWolf
IPB Image
Not very varied in terms of mountain range height, but its nice peaceful shot of the lower plains with a few sporadic trees, and of course that one big-@ss jumbo one! XD

Dorian
IPB Image
Link finally made his way through lost woods to death mountain

Linkus
IPB Image
Old bridges bring back memories, and an very overused song...

Sharon Daniel
IPB Image
I love starfishes 'cause they're so delicious! :3

Good luck, everyone

#2 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 29 April 2007 - 03:59 PM

Okay, here we go:

Billy Ronald: Sad to say, but there is nothing for this shot. Its quite bland, hardly any detail and simple use of the pure-ish style. Nothing more than a passing glance here. Better spruce it up by varying the water pool, add some trees, and a variety of other details.

Mine: Not really going to comment since its mine.

Dorian: Like how you did the fact that there is 'grass meets dirt' transition at the bottom. But as it is classic graphics, you can only go so far with it being awe-inspiring. So I really can't recommend this one.

Linkus: Very nice shot, however, it seems the entire focal point is the bridge and as a whole it provides the entire screen a rather 'horizontal' playing field. From left to right. The trees there are just filler. So in terms of graphics, this one has it made, but in terms of design, seems kind of stale, too boxy.

Sharon Daniel: Other than custom graphics, nothing really special here. Not enough ground detail and the mountains are weird. Need to work a bit on screen design, your screens still come off as squarish or repetative. Although the repetativeness is a lot improved in this shot, but overall, it could use a lot more sprucing up. I like the trees though.

#3 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:09 PM

Five simple screens, just the tileset vary. And the best looking tileset goes to... Linkus! Voted.

In addition:

billy ronald: You won a prize! Simplest screenshot in SotW ever! I see that the subscreen is variety. But you should do something with the incomplete part of the map, at least whiten it out. Plus, I don't like the sorting of the other things in it.

DFW: You won prize! The best gameplay screen I have seen in a long time. (cut out the ones I see in ZQuest while making my quest). I really like it, but still a simple screen without outstanding things.

Dorian: Very nice LoZ screen. Very nice.

Linkus: I'm very fond of the bridge and water! I vote for this screen.

SD: Nothing bad on this screen, but when I try to say "nice", something says "no" in my head. Still great improvement in the tileset.

To sum it up, I see only Linkus's screen to be a base for voting. If that screen weren't there, I would vote for DFW. Then comes SD then Dorian and finally billy ronald. SD comes before Dorian because I feel so. Or might be because SD's tileset looks like an upgraded BS set, which is an upgraded LoZ.

#4 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:11 PM

160 already? I didn't realize how quickly SotWs start and stop when they are actually done on time...

Billy Ronald:

Dude, wtf? It's an empty Pure shot where there is no variation in any of the tiles whatsoever and everything is far too boxy. This wouldn't be acceptable in a quest, let alone SotW. Put more effort into your screens, boy!

1/10

Darkflamewolf:

Hmm... a nicely done Pure shot. I like how this screen feels so much more open than most of your other shots. The Oracles trees are used more often than I would have liked, may I suggest replacing some of them with mountain tiles? The Pure graphics are a bit of an eyesore to look at (though I'm not taking any points off for your choice to not modify the tileset), and a few more ground details wouldn't hurt.

6/10

Dorian:

Well, it's a rather nicely done classic shot. I sorta like the palette edit you did here, but what's with the green near the trees? Is that suppossed to be grass or something? There's also a number of unwalkable things too close to the screen, and you could have put more "dirt" tiles in the plain spots on the ground...

4/10

Linkus:

Nicely done edits of Minish Cap graphics, but a few complaints about the actual shot: The large trees are overused to death. Try putting in other objects. What's with the green on the sides of the bridge? And why are there bits of bricks that aren't the same type of bricks as the bridge, and are about for apparently no reason? You could have at least made them like the bricks on the bridge... My last complaint is that your eyes seem to drift away from the shot, like the bridge leads your eyes from one side to the other. Try to fix that. It has nice graphics, but the lack of variety and design errors are what made you lose points here.

6/10

Sharon Daniel:

The saturation is too high, and I just don't like the style of the graphics. That sand is far too dark and muddy looking. There is something very wrong with the perspective on those mountains, and the shot just feels empty.

3/10

Well, not so many special things this week. The winner is a tie between DFW and Linkus, but I don't allow myself to vote for Linkus, and I don't vote for Pure shots either, so the winner is...

...I nulled!

#5 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ Apr 29 2007, 05:11 PM) View Post

What's with the green on the sides of the bridge?

That would be moss...

And why are there bits of bricks that aren't the same type of bricks as the bridge, and are about for apparently no reason? You could have at least made them like the bricks on the bridge... My last complaint is that your eyes seem to drift away from the shot, like the bridge leads your eyes from one side to the other.

Old bridge =old(brick in this case) road. Actually I'm gong to make more of this type of brick so that is more consistency within them. Secondly, that's just pure design genius on the nth level with what you just said on the eye shifting...That way, you actually know what's there on the other side without even thinking about it at all. That's more points gained than lost to me...

#6 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:30 PM

Well, here we go.

- billy ronald -

That's... an empty shot. Sorry. icon_shrug.gif

- DarkFlameWolf -

I see you've gone simple on us this time. icon_xd.gif Well, it looks good, but not as varied as normal. I hate that Hybrid Link with a passion, but that's not the reason why I'm not voting for this one.

- Dorian -

Don't get me wrong, dude, this shot is an awesome use of Classic, but, well, it's Classic. Not much variety in Classic. icon_shrug.gif

- Linkus -

I vote this one. Everything is perfect, layed out perfect, just plain beautiful. My only beef here is that the bridge seems kinda flat, and there's not much of a 3D look to it...

- Sharon Daniel -

I'm sorry, but this does not catch my eye very well. Nothing jumps out at me. icon_sorry.gif

#7 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:32 PM

Nice variety this week as well.

Billy Ronald : Is this a joke? April fools was days ago. The only thing I like is the mini map, but thats about it. Please add more effort and detail to your screens next time. Just because your using Pure doesn't mean you automatically fail, you still have a chance of winning. Look at DFW, she uses Pure and wins sometimes.

DarkFlameWolf : The first wide open screen by you I've seen. This screen is very basic, nothing amazing, interesting, but I understand its an OW screen.. (and the screen design isn't that good either.) The LTTP tree and NoeL's New Age rock looks out of place. Its really the only thing that draws the viewers eyes, while everything else doesn't. Nice try though.

Dorian :
A nice classic screen, I like how the walls change color too. If you were to add some border between the green floor and the brown one, it'll look much better. Nice job.

Linkus: You blew this week away. My only complain is the way you placed the large trees, it could have been better. Overall, a perfect shot. Excellent work, Linkus.

Sharon Daniel :
The screen looks crispy, has if everything was baked inside a oven. But those are some nice shore lines you got there.

Edit:
* Votes for Linkus *

Edited by /M/, 29 April 2007 - 04:35 PM.

#8 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:08 PM

Billy Ronald: Standard shot, Standard ZC.

DFW: Another standard shot, though done very well icon_thumbsup.gif

Dorian: *Votes* We don't get a lot of classic shots around here. Your transitions are very nice. Nice addition of boulders on the mountains. Although, I'd rather that you change Link's palettes, or that you use the Link from Link's New Technicolor World.

Linkus: I've seen it before... THAT'S CHEATING... icon_razz.gif

SD: ... (I'll get around to this comment...)

#9 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:38 PM

Curses Linkus, Curses!
Oh well, ripped graphics over good design FTW I guess...

Anyway, as for the 'bad' hybrid Link, does anyone have a new set of Link tiles I could use instead of that, and would still fit in with the tileset? And I'd like all of his tiles, not just his walking animations. icon_razz.gif

#10 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:48 PM

Anyway, as for the 'bad' hybrid Link, does anyone have a new set of Link tiles I could use instead of that, and would still fit in with the tileset? And I'd like all of his tiles, not just his walking animations.

I love Hybrid Link. icon_cry.gif

#11 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:58 PM

I agree... the Hybrid Link totally sucks. However, in Pure Links, this is the best I've got...

IPB Image

#12 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf @ Apr 29 2007, 06:38 PM) View Post

Curses Linkus, Curses!
Oh well, ripped, edited, and custom graphics over good design FTW I guess...

Anyway, as for the 'bad' hybrid Link, does anyone have a new set of Link tiles I could use instead of that, and would still fit in with the tileset? And I'd like all of his tiles, not just his walking animations. icon_razz.gif

Fixed said quote for the truth, if you don't mind, DFW. Also, as of right now, I don't have anything on a new Hybrid Link sprite, but eventually I'll have to make a new Link for my own set myself. Of course, the problem I see with the character anyway is that everything he has is just too large and covers detail(the LttP Magic Shield he holds is a good example of this). The one in my sig is what size ratio everything should be to Link.

#13 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:02 PM

Oh well, ripped graphics over good design FTW I guess...

Funny how you always try to find an excuse to cover up the reasons your losing even when you know your incorrect.. I must say, you are one stubborn person...

#14 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:08 PM

Revfan, I read your comment on Dorian's shot. You are utterly retarded. The only thing that MIGHT be unwalkable near the edge of the screen that is dangerous is the boulder at the top of the screen, and anyone can get out of that with the up key or left icon_razz.gif

Edited by Moonwhisper, 29 April 2007 - 06:09 PM.

#15 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:29 PM

Umm.. MoonWhisper believe it or not... there is... another one..

IPB Image

Hmm.. That rock really blends in well..

Edited by /M/, 29 April 2007 - 06:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users