Photo

Screenshot of the Week 132

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 132 (61 member(s) have cast votes)

Screenshot of the Week 132

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:52 PM

Lecayle
user posted image
"I-i-i-i-t-t's-s-s c-c-c-c-cold up-p-p h-h-ere" I like this one better than my other personal runner-ups...

Linkus Mastii
user posted image
"Link battling Moblins...again!"

Mighty Darknut
user posted image
Hiro stumbles upon an eerie grave site...

NoeL
user posted image
Mock up of new ZP graphics. 100% custom... oh yes...

sorry for not getting this posted sooner. I had a project going on yesterday, and completley forgot

also, I had a bit of trouble uploading the images, so if somone has a problem with viewing them, let me know

and by the way, I voted for Linkus

#2 Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Master

• Members

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:01 PM

Noel gets the vote here even though I already seen them, the mountains are fabulous. Linkus Mastii gets second and Tom (Yes I'm calling him by his real name.) gets third. Last I don't need to mention.

#3 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:09 PM

Four more good screenshots, so it is simply a matter of what is the best.

Lecayle - Another nice looking facade. The balcony looks well planned out. I am not sure what else to say.

Linkus Mastii - I continue to like what I see from your tiles. As I may have said before, I can find plenty of beauty in ruins. Somehow I think it could use a little more of those overgrown weeds, since I like where you are going with that. But it is completely up to you. You may see things that I don't. Those walls and pillars could probably use some more cracks, but that is just in my eyes. Overall well done.

Mighty Darknut - I like the whole idea, and that dead tree to the lower left sure looks odd, which I am guessing is for a reason. The water in the lower right seems a bit artificial to me. But outside of that, I think it is pretty good.

NoeL - I already commented on this in the quest screenshot thread, and as I said, I think it is absolutely breathtaking. The only thing I don't care much for in the screen is that roof, as it looks kind of plastic to me and is out of place with everything else. Those trees, the flowers, and all other plantlife is absolutely beautiful, as is the water and the cliffs. My vote goes here.

#4 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:32 PM

I suppose it'd be immoral of me to vote for my own shot... so I should null icon_razz.gif

Linkus has a great shot... simple... love the pavement.

*checks votes*

Oh sweet! I'm up by 7 already! icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by NoeL, 24 July 2006 - 11:33 PM.

#5 .TakaM

.TakaM

Junior

• Members

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:54 AM

linkus masti by miles

#6 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:05 PM

I voted for Noel, because everything in the screen shot is eye pleasing. And best of all it has great design.

I think Linkus Mastii and Mighty Darknut have come a long way. Wow! But it just didn't beat out Noel's in my opinion.

#7 System Error

System Error

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:27 PM

A null vote this week.

Lecayle - Clouds look horrible. Link has a messed up palette. Flowers look odd.

Linkus Mastii - The ruin graphics blend into the brick ground a little too easily. The moblins look unusual.

Mighty Darknut - Near the bottom left corner, in the pond, a piece of ground is missing. The "smooth" graphics clash with the "grainy" graphics. The puddles of water and the grass look terrible.

NoeL - Link looks retarded, for lack of a better term. The treetops look atrocious; as the colors are too bright and have black shading mixed in among them. And did I mention how much I loathe the top tiles of houses being able to be walked through? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever on a 3-Dimensional scale. Despite that, this is the best screen here.

#8 PrinceMSC

PrinceMSC

Remember the Name

• Members

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:48 PM

Uhmm.... Noel's fat and funny looking Link kills the screenshot for me.

Wait just a tic... I got an idea. What if I put my mouse pointer over it?

YES!!! That's it! It looks awesome now. Me votes for Noel.

icon_king.gif PrinceMSC icon_king.gif

#9 August Yifu

August Yifu

Magus

• Banned

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:49 PM

Lecayle: It's a pretty good shot, overall; I'm not really liking the colors on Link all that much there. The pallete chosen for the castle seems a bit questionable as well. But as I said, it's pretty nice all in all, but I think it's a bit too simple to win my vote this week.

Linkus Mastii: This shot looks pretty nice, too. It seems a bit minish cappy. One thing I'm not a bit fan of is how various elements of the shot clash with each other. The yellow dirt and the green grass are fine together, but the stone in the picture clashes with them. The trees clash with the grass, as well.

Mighty Darknut: Looks kind of Pokemonish, for some reason... it looks laid out well. I believed that system error was right about the waters not matching in the shot. And I've noticed the mountain tiles (and the tiles the player is standing on) seem to be much more complex than the tiles below where the grave is. You may want to make some custom tiles to pull weeds of some sort onto the grass there. Also, the torch on the second level, and the tombstone below, seem to stick out a bit; they don't look as well shaded as the rest of the shot. It doesn't matter all that much, but it might be worth trying to reshade those tiles a bit.

NoeL: I really like this shot. I agree with System Error here, though. The link sprite does look a bit unusual, and those treetops contrast too much from their environment. (That waterfall and the water below is incredible, by the way. I'll give you my vote this week.

#10 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE(System Error @ Jul 25 2006, 03:27 PM)
NoeL - Link looks retarded, for lack of a better term. The treetops look atrocious; as the colors are too bright and have black shading mixed in among them. And did I mention how much I loathe the top tiles of houses being able to be walked through? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever on a 3-Dimensional scale. Despite that, this is the best screen here.

View Post

Yeah, I'm not that satisfied with the treetops either, I just haven't been bothered to detail every leaf individually yet. As for the top of the houses not making 3D sense... you must be one of the only people to think this. Do you only have one eye and hence no depth perception? You see, Zelda is set at an isometric viewpoint, which means anything behind "tall" objects become obscured by them. So just as Link can walk behind trees, why doesn't it make sense to be able to walk behind a house? icon_confused2.gif

#11 System Error

System Error

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Jul 25 2006, 10:21 PM)
As for the top of the houses not making 3D sense... you must be one of the only people to think this. Do you only have one eye and hence no depth perception? You see, Zelda is set at an isometric viewpoint, which means anything behind "tall" objects become obscured by them. So just as Link can walk behind trees, why doesn't it make sense to be able to walk behind a house?

No. Think of it this way. What would that house look like from the side? Now, look at the front of the house. The roof overhangs in your screenshot, although only slightly, but as for others, the roof does not hang over at all. So like the front of the house, the back of a house should have brick right below where the roof should be, but even in your shot and taking isometricness into account, the angle is still not enough to warrant the whole tile behind it being able to be walked on. An 8x16 strip, yes. But not a full 16x16 one. The most recent Pure update (and not the crappy 2.10 one) is an even worse offender, as the entire roof of a building is set up to be layered over things, which would give the building a flatish look when viewed from the side.

#12 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE(System Error @ Jul 26 2006, 08:50 AM)
The most recent Pure update (and not the crappy 2.10 one) is an even worse offender, as the entire roof of a building is set up to be layered over things, which would give the building a flatish look when viewed from the side.

View Post

The entire roof isn't meant to be walk-through. That's what the solid ground combos are for; The houses are supposed to be set up like this:
user posted image

#13 NineLives

NineLives

Boom. Zoom. Dakota.

• Members

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:06 PM

AH yes you got it MD!
I always thought the solid combos should be only the bottom part where the door, is.
but it's true what MD said!

anways I voted for linkuss for his uber custom tiles

#14 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:27 PM

allright, time to settle this

QUOTE(System Error @ Jul 26 2006, 05:50 AM)
No. Think of it this way. What would that house look like from the side? Now, look at the front of the house. The roof overhangs in your screenshot, although only slightly, but as for others, the roof does not hang over at all. So like the front of the house, the back of a house should have brick right below where the roof should be, but even in your shot and taking isometricness into account, the angle is still not enough to warrant the whole tile behind it being able to be walked on. An 8x16 strip, yes. But not a full 16x16 one. The most recent Pure update (and not the crappy 2.10 one) is an even worse offender, as the entire roof of a building is set up to be layered over things, which would give the building a flatish look when viewed from the side.

View Post

first off, NoeL said nothing about having a full 16x16 walkable tile behind the house. even then it would make sense. it looks as if it's a 16x16 tile for the front of the house, then the tiles for the roof. imagine that the screenshot was a true top-down perspective. if Link had a full tile behind the house to walk on, he would be right next to the wall on each side. if he only had a half tile to walk on behind the house, he would appear 8 pixels away from the back. now, I think most of us remove half of the tile's walkable areas simply to prevent Link from being hidden back there

second, it looks like a cliff and water behind the house, so it dosen't matter how much space Link has to move back there; he can't get there anyway. even if he could, the house would be raised up from the water, allowing even more space behind the house for Link to move behind

#15 Comix

Comix

Hello.

• Members

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:57 PM

I voted for Linkus Mastii

Lecayle - I actually almost voted for this shot. It just flowed everywhere. The tiles were well placed.

Linkus Mastii - I liked the tiles in this one. I just liked how it was all placed.

Mighty Darknut - I liked the shot, but why is there grass in a graveyard thats underground?

NoeL - Amazing custom tiles. Just didn't have the "magic" for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users