TWICE NOW Windows 10 has screwed this project,

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:26 AM

So if you remember the last time I went silent for a while, well, it happened for the exact same reason it did this time, a Windows 10 "Automatic update" (which, BTW, you CAN NOT DISABLE) corrupting my hard drive.

The thing is, it'll be a little while before I can attempt to recover the data, and this time, I'm not redoing shit. I can't recover it, I'll just close the project and release what DIDN'T get erased.

Edited by Anarchy_Balsac, 08 November 2016 - 01:24 PM.

#2 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:32 AM

As much as people give me crap about it, I'm glad I stuck with Windows 7.  I also haven't updated this computer in long enough that it never updated to the telemetry updates provided to Win 7/8/8.1 a few months back.  While Win10 looks nice, to me, it just isn't worth the hassle of getting my favorite programs working on it.

Sucks about your project...  I hope you can get it back.

• Anthus and Anarchy_Balsac like this

#3 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:21 AM

As much as people give me crap about it, I'm glad I stuck with Windows 7.  I also haven't updated this computer in long enough that it never updated to the telemetry updates provided to Win 7/8/8.1 a few months back.  While Win10 looks nice, to me, it just isn't worth the hassle of getting my favorite programs working on it.

Sucks about your project...  I hope you can get it back.

A wise choice, XP or 98 would be better, but it can be expensive to get a modern PC that has either one.  It's possible, but requires you find someone to build it for you, and they tend to not be cheap.

#4 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:00 AM

That sucks man. I feel your pain.

Windows 10 somehow thinks that it's good to take 5 minutes opening anything. I guess 4gb RAM and x64 multi-core cpu just aren't fast enough to do complex tasks such as edit text files. Maybe I could if the OS didn't use up every available resource just to keep the taskbar looking pretty.

Windows 7 bricked my laptop a few years ago. It was doing an automatic update sometime during the night up until after I woke up. A few hours later it was fried liver.

[This post brought to you courtesy of XP]
  • Anthus likes this

#5 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:29 PM

Windows 10 somehow thinks that it's good to take 5 minutes opening anything. I guess 4gb RAM and x64 multi-core cpu just aren't fast enough to do complex tasks such as edit text files. Maybe I could if the OS didn't use up every available resource just to keep the taskbar looking pretty.

Windows 7 bricked my laptop a few years ago. It was doing an automatic update sometime during the night up until after I woke up. A few hours later it was fried liver.

7 is no XP but at least you can turn off Auto-Updates, why didn't you?

#6 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 10 November 2016 - 05:01 AM

7 is no XP but at least you can turn off Auto-Updates, why didn't you?

I didn't know! It hardly ever updated... and I never had any problems until then.... Why didn't anyone warn me? "Oooh 7 is waaaaay better than Vista" they said. "Best MS OS ever" they said....

WHY DIDN'T YOU WARN ME Anarchy_Balsac WHYYYY???!?!?!??

#7 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 10 November 2016 - 12:57 PM

Eh, you're computer Savvy enough to know M$ doesn't care about leeching the CPU or backwords compatibility.  Sure Win 7 was better than Vista, but it wasn't going to be better than XP.

#8 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:20 PM

A-ha! So, this insane loading time on Win10 isn't simply my ancient hardware. My win7 drive bit the dust, and to save time, I popped a win10 drive into me laptop until I could set up the new drive with win7 and Linux.

Win10 is just terrible. It goes through phases where every audio track that I play with VLC stutters, and skips. Just rubbish, it is.

Once I'm done with this business trip, I'll be rolling this system back to win7. I'd use XP, save that I have some utilities that simply demand win7. Forced updating is simply utter nonsense: It exists solely for anti-piracy reasons.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 18 November 2016 - 10:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users