Aaaaand after a 3-month hiatus....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:22 PM

... Yeah, that happened. a 3-month hiatus hit me, and well; I just recently got back into the swing of things once again.

Here's a bit of a progress update though; Level A (Known as the Trial of the Sword) received a graphical overhaul as well as a minor dungeon modification to make it feel more at home compared to Level 1's graphics.

Old Map:
Posted Image

New Map:
Posted Image

Level 1 (Known as the Aquatic Labryinth) has been structurally completed. All that's left now is designing enemies and placing them, as well as getting a boss set up for it. I was originally going to add a 2nd floor to this dungeon, but I actually decided against it, and just shuffled around some of the dungeon content in order for it to be a coherent experience. I've also patched Mero's freeform FFC-based dungeon door scripts (Well, just the shutter one) to also function properly with the permanent block secrets script. I was getting frustrated during my own play testing about needing to keep redoing a single block puzzle multiple times. ... So a feature of my quest now is the fact block puzzles need only to be solved ONCE. This will remove some tedium when it comes to backtracking, as it turns out there's a fair bit of it in Level 1.

As far as the overworld is concerned though, very little of it has been developed, and this is what I will be working on next. ... I need to decide an overall size and shape of the various "Biomes" of the overworld so I can ensure proper transitioning from one to the next. I may even redo my "Kappa Beach" area as its possible I may need to resize it. Trying to determine if I should try and fit it within a specific number of maps, or don't care as long as each area isn't larger than an 8x8 DMap.

Thoughts? Opinions? Please let me know.
  • Shane, Eddy, Sheik and 2 others like this

#2 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:13 PM

I like the lighter shade of green you switched to.

I'm more curious to see Level 1. Labyrinth? I hope it's an epic maze.
  • Sephiroth likes this

#3 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:40 PM

The new one definitely looks better. The way the greens are more crisp, the blues are more saturated, the contrasts are sharper, and the pillars being silver to match the doors, looks like you wiped a layer of dirt off my screen.

Good job making puzzles solvable once. And if it fits your themes, you could use warp gates between certain points to reduce backtracking (I see you had two in the upper room of your original map).

• Sephiroth likes this

#4 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:48 PM

Good job making puzzles solvable once. And if it fits your themes, you could use warp gates between certain points to reduce backtracking

Level 1, unfortunately does not really permit the installation of warp shortcuts due to the open nature of it overall. However, this video kinda shows off how my overall gimmick of level 1 works: (Note: Some room designs have changed since the video was posted)

(I see you had two in the upper room of your original map).

Those are actually just warps out once you've obtained the item in the chest, so you wouldn't need to walk back, despite it not being a long trek due to the size of Level A. Another note; The ALttP Warp tiles used in the original map were actually replaced by the TMC Warp graphics once I got my hands on some custom graphics to use for my restore & save points I've got at the entrance of dungeons and will be placing them strategically around the world as well.

Edited by Sephiroth, 22 September 2016 - 06:51 PM.

#5 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:02 AM

Is Level 1 located in the beach area the overworld screenshots show off? I'd like to know more about that place (the overworld, that is), too.

...Nice changes altogether. I for one might have liked the old green better, though.

#6 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:29 AM

Is Level 1 located in the beach area the overworld screenshots show off? I'd like to know more about that place (the overworld, that is), too.

Level A (The above mapped out dungeon) is on the beach, which those beach screenshots are outdated since I actually threw away what (little) overworld I had done and began re-imagining and reworking my overworld. Level 1's actual location has yet to be determined, but I will guarantee you it will reside in a rather wet location, being a water dungeon and all.. ...
  • Sheik likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users