• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:49 PM

Spellbound Temple is a dungeon located on Novalin's lake on an island. It carries a light/magic theme and it's recommended to be completed first on your adventure. Originally just one floor, this dungeon got some expansions and modifications vastly expanding it since upon playing the original version I wasn't a fan of how it turned out. It now has a giant first floor, a second floor split into four 2x2 sections and a very very small basement spanning two seperate screens. There's few more routes and a lot more freedom now too. In this dungeon you will encounter (nerfed) shieldless Darknuts and teleporting Wizzrobes. I haven't decided on the boss yet but I have plans for the mini-bosses, but I won't reveal them yet.

What I will reveal however, is what the books do. But keep in mind I will not show the mechanic's full capabilities.
Here are some screens, brought to you by cheat 4:

mPJwEDK.png
Ah yes, the one screen I keep showing. But look, intro text!

MeN084H.png
The map!

xwIdj9i.png
Once they saw each other, they knew they were both in love with one another.

ljjxwkE.png
I was going to show the book's powers here, but it's too dark to read... let's go back to the entrance.

rwOF24S.png
Let's hit A, shall we?

qOikH3r.png
Woah, what's this? Silly commentary aside, this is personally dubbed the "Alternate Vision" mechanic and while not planned to be exclusive to this dungeon (as I will carry it over for a bonus dungeon), it will be properly introduced here. This mechanic has a lot more than what is shown however.

fN38zh3.png
Inspired by Minish Cap, after each mini-boss you will get a warp. There will be two for each dungeon. Oh, and currently no mini-bosses... yet.

pc6L8wt.png
Noooooooooope.

KkA8iBn.png
What do you mean locked!?

K3QMHcT.png
How to get up there... oh look, books!

9rea8bF.png
Wonder if that switch does more...

2VD9ktB.png
HELP.

y4B2orB.png
I beat the boss... OK I am joking, there is no boss... yet.

As you can probably tell, the dungeon has undergone a lot of changes since I announced it. It's finally nearing completion and after this, I will develop the next dungeon. Until then, I hope you have a good day/night as usual! (Also fun fact: it took me until now to realize I had no key counter...) (And thanks to Avataro for helping me throughout this dungeon with your scripting and scripting wisdom!)

• bigjoe, Sephiroth, Anthus and 13 others like this

#2 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:53 PM

Really nice improvements. Loving what you've done to the place! One small suggestion though about the key counter: you could probably have a little key icon above the counter, similarly to how the rupees in the middle are to the left of the counter. Would visually look better IMO, because at the moment it just looks like 2 random 0s on the map lol

• Shane and Jared like this

#3 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:22 PM

Looks great! That mechanic is super clever! Oh yeah, how did you make those large traps? FFC or some kind of script?

Edited by FlameCursed, 28 April 2016 - 01:23 PM.

• Shane and Lightwulf like this

#4 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:35 PM

Oh yeah, how did you make those large traps? FFC or some kind of script?

Several 2x2 sized FFCs. Four changers are needed. Also to get the damage effect working, expand Combo Height and Combo Width both to 32 in the FFC editor. I also like to put in some Animation Delay. So yeah, purely FFCs there, and work great! They also can be used for things like moving targets for any of your weapons, and moving warps (if you somehow want or need those).

Also Eddy, I will work on that now. Thanks!

• Eddy, Jared, Lightwulf and 1 other like this

#5 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:05 PM

I really, really like how this looks, in terms of screen design and mechanics.  Really looking forward to it!

• Shane and Matthew like this

#6 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:18 PM

Thanks!

Some kind of last minute additions, but I threw in some windows to help the theme and mood. I borrowed them from the Tower of Hylia in Lost Historia (aka a quest I still need to complete also).

zu8HFHY.png szKHGw6.png l16WH73.png

Gonna work on the remaining screens once I get some sleep. :P

• Eddy, Sheik, Jared and 3 others like this

#7 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:33 PM

xwIdj9i.png
Once they saw each other, they knew they were both in love with one another.

No way in hell do I want to know how Darknuts mate... XD

Alas, I love the theme and mechanic you have in mind for this dungeon, pretty unique and clever. Hoping to see more dude! :D

• Shane and Lightwulf like this

#8 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:44 AM

Looking good, but one thing I'd like to warn against: Don't fall into the dungeon length creep. Sometimes I'll expand on a dungeon because I feel it could use some extra space, but then I feel like I need to lengthen the dungeons after it so they get progressively longer as you go. This isn't always the right approach. Sometimes short can be a good thing I've discovered.

• Shane likes this

#9 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:49 AM

Looking good, but one thing I'd like to warn against: Don't fall into the dungeon length creep. Sometimes I'll expand on a dungeon because I feel it could use some extra space, but then I feel like I need to lengthen the dungeons after it so they get progressively longer as you go. This isn't always the right approach. Sometimes short can be a good thing I've discovered.

Yeah, that's a perfectly valid point to keep in mind. It wasn't really much about the length or size but rather it was so short I couldn't really do much with it. With more rooms now I can now create more routes and improve the general flow which I feel are crucial for good dungeons. I'm not planning to expand it any further since I'm kinda getting sick of designing rooms for that dungeon anyways. :P

In any case, here's an early teaser of my second dungeon, within the swamp:

EWjHrpO.png

More on this dungeon later. Screen is also subject to change, or maybe there will be no changes made. We will see.

• Eddy and Lightwulf like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users